1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WitchHunt #5

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by KaiDASH, Sep 19, 2015.

1. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

Kalas doesn't believe in thinking.

2. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Koalas are naturally slow and indolent creatures.

That's interesting, because I had the exact opposite reaction to it. For reference:

Translating that into Common, I get: "Snowvon and Moridin are having a tussle. I think Moridin was reaction-testing Snowvon, and Snowvon jumped on it as an overreaction to a not-serious post. Nothing but a misunderstanding."

To me, that reads as more informed, like he knows they'll both flip town and is going for analytical cred.

The thrust of this is that Tempus's comment read like an explanation of town-on-town violence, and I personally was / am still way more unsure of Showvon / Moridin being v/v.

3. Citrus

Citrus First Year

Hmm. What part exactly made that look like Tempus was arguing T v T between Moridin and Snowvon? I read the 'he has reasons to feel suspicious' as validating Moridin's accusation of Snowvon as reasonable.

I guess could stretch it to he's calling it reasonable because it's wrong but he's saying it's fair and that's why you think it's indicative of Tempus arguing T v T violence, but I think that's a bit too much of a stretch?

It's not like either of them are going to flip for the forseeable future *HOPEFULLY NO TRIPLE DEATHS D1 THIS TIME PLEASE MY HEART CAN ONLY TAKE SO MUCH*, so that would be reaaaaally playing the long-game if it's written going for eventual analytical cred. Plus so many people town-read Snowvon that wouldn't give him any cred at all. If anything he's just sheeping the Von read from that perspective.

But I actually read that post as slightly suspicious of Snowvon from Tempus (or not town-reading him at least), like mentioning Snowvon did something suspicious but without trying to doubtcast Snowvon or anything if that makes sense?

Sorry my brain is running on high gear right now but tl;dr: I don't really see 'Snowvon overreacted just a misunderstanding' when I read that

4. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    New is hitting the right town points but he's suprisingly adept at faking them. Snow is at his usual town nonsense. It's omgusy but Jan and Citrus are both classic scum playing, pick a fight with a quiet stronger player. It's more justified for one of them then the other though.

5. Tempus Fugit

Tempus Fugit Third Year

I actually said that Moridin has reasons to feel suspicious at the overreaction, I just was, as citrus correctly said, trying to be impartial in my read.

6. Koalas

High Score:
    Everythinf has a purpose and it's place Fonti.

7. Citrus

Citrus First Year

v/v meaning town + town? I don't understand what you meant in the last sentence. You are unsure of Snowvon and Moridin of both being town? But doesn't that then destabilize that entire interpretation of Tempus's post if one of them isn't? (I think we can reasonably say Snowvon and Moridin are unaligned right?)

---------- Post automerged at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

Hold on, let me get this straight. You're saying that BOTH me and Jan are 'classic scum playing' by both of us picking a fight with you?

Or are you saying:
    Jan is picking a fight with me, meaning I'm a quiet stronger player?
    And then I'm picking a fight with you, meaning you're an even quieter/even stronger player?
    And then Jan and I are both classic scum playing even though we're at relative odds under this interpretation?

And then you throw a doubtcast of Newcomb on top of everything as a cherry on top?

Did I read that right? Like the fuck does this post even say?

8. Newcomb

Ah, okay. So the "he" there is Moridin, not Snowvon? Your posts are tripping me up a little linguistically.

9. Tempus Fugit

Tempus Fugit Third Year

Yeah I meant that, most of my posts where done a couple of minutes after I woke up and before I had my morning tea so I apologize for any mistakes I made.

---------- Post automerged at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

And now I'm on my phone which is trying to turn my posta into spanglish.

---------- Post automerged at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

Such as posts into posta...

10. Koalas

High Score:
    I'm saying X hours into a game looking at the post count and picking a strong target is classic. It's not excusable but Jan's feels more meta. And yes, Newcomb worries me as potential scum. He's not town firmed so I really don't see how it's even slightly doubt casting.

11. Citrus

Citrus First Year

Yeah correct. Sorry my brain's fried a bit from studying, so I'm basically just word-vomiting - if I need to clarify anything just tell me

---------- Post automerged at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

Mmm. I really dislike this.

1) Taking this perspective is basically an argument in favor of letting lurky players lurk (in general)
    2) You're talking about Jan and my current stances towards you as scummy, but you're not really talking about our slots' alignments. So you're kinda doubtcasting both of us without saying you scum-read both of us.
    3) If, on the other hand, you are talking about Jan and my slots' alignments, you're now saying that two of the four-man scumteam are both double-teaming onto you.
    4) The transition into the meat of the day occurs from wagon formation. You're not doing anything to contribute to this. Which is fine, because you can be busy etc. Except in a way you're simultaneously acting AGAINST it. By doubt-casting Jan and me. Which is kinda self-preservation without trying to solve the game

How is 1 a healthy attitude to take for a town player?
    Would 2 be correct or 3 Kalas (or neither, in which case what's incorrect above)?
    I asked you for content and you said you would close-read the thread later. I asked you for any thoughts you have thus far, and your only thoughts revolve around posts concering you?

Like I get that a great way some players try to read people is see how others read them, but you basically have nothing yet and you don't think it's reasonable to question that?

I initially voted you as more of a second RVS, but now I'm liking it there just a tad more.

12. Koalas

High Score:
    Why is questioning Newcomb 20 hours into Day 1 doubt casting Citrus? Can you clarify that?

13. Citrus

Citrus First Year

That and the only other point you had was to doubt-cast a player that's pretty strong for town when he's town. Like that's a completely meta description of your 'paranoia' of Newcomb that makes it feel like you haven't even read his posts, just you know he has some bigger ones. This is giving me vibes of 'oh crap Newcomb's going to do good town things, he has a lot of long posts, better trounce on his credibility slightly'. It almost fits better in signups before the game started as a warning to new players than as a 'guys I read his posts and be careful he may be the snake in the garden'.

---------- Post automerged at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

Man, it would've been so much more fun if you hadn't ninja'd me just now, but there's your answer

14. Newcomb

I'm reasonably sure I read Tempus's post wrong, (Fake edit: I did) so I'll drop it. But yes - my interpretation of his post makes him lean town if one of Snowvon/Moridin is a witch. Because then he's just wrong in a towny way.

But yeah, it looks like in the second part, "he" was referring to Moridin, so, bleh, back to square one.

Now it reads as less "declaring both combatants towny" and more of a comment on Moridin specifically, explaining/defending his behavior. Which is more gamesolvey, I think? Yeah. I'm off the Tempus Train for now.

15. Citrus

Citrus First Year

Ok cool, I was starting to wonder if I needed to reread that post with a different magnifying glass or something (post more people please, I need excuses to not work)

16. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

Man, I am having a hard time following the current discussion.

Be less confusing.

17. Citrus

Citrus First Year

Sorry, I'm in word-vomit mode right now. If you want me to try to clarify anything I've said just point it out to me *almost half-way to your post count mwahaha*

---------- Post automerged at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

Ah my brain finally clicked.

That post was defensive, that's the buzz-word I was missing.

I feel like I'm a little kid walking around and I poked you with a stick and you went 'rawr only scum would poke me with their sticks!' And then I'm just like but I was just playing around, wait why are you so jumpy mister

18. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

That's kind of a creepy simile.

---------- Post automerged at 19:52 ---------- Previous post was at 19:52 ----------

I'll look over your posts again later.

19. Tempus Fugit

Tempus Fugit Third Year

I'd like for all the players that haven't posted to do so, with D1 well underway quite a number of missing people.

20. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

Sorry had kinda important business that forced me away from the forum and into skype for a while.

But I am back with a vengeance, or two.

I read him town because I do believe it unlikly for scum to jump on Von who was so good spirited and active to try to push on him. Maybe prod at him a bit to force an interaction, but his suspicion read kinda genuine and their interaction in general read good to me.

Both came out of it more towny than before. Well von was already conf!town anyway.

By the way Kalas, when you say that i started a fight with a stronger player silent player you are overdoing it.
    Sure i voted for fluff, but that is it. When I fight you will see feathers fly!

And you I do not even scumread yet, but having the votes in case you roll the same alignment as the last 5 times is a good preparation. ;)

Citrus slowly creeping into the towncircle, slowly but surely, like the slimy snail he is.
    Well his conversation with kalas is mostly mute, i think, but the talk about the Von/Moridin and the way he questions people is a good start.

Kinda sad that Fonti rolled witch, but you just cannot change the nature of things, i guess.
    (That is me openly challenging a stronger player Koalas!)

---------- Post automerged at 02:34 ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 ----------

Oh sorry the first part was about citrus question regarding the Moridin/Von interaction.

Didnt bother to quote anything.