1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WitchHunt #7

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Citrus, Sep 27, 2016.

1. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Pushing faders is way easier than building sets.
    Sometimes I lift nothing heavier than a clipboard for the entire run of a show.

---------- Post automerged at 20:28 ---------- Previous post was at 20:28 ----------

Don't be mad that I beat the system.

2. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Hey, I'm finally in from looking over stuff for an exam tomorrow - predictably, I'm lacking in motivation.

So instead of walls on walls, I leave you with my thoughts for this evening:

My towns that I believe in first:
    -Snow is town.
    -Mal is almost definitely town. He shot the proper person in the night to soft confirm the already reasonably strong town read I had on him for being his towny self. Still some lingering paranoia that he's the sort of scum that I fail most spectacularly to read - the incredibly reasonable sort that have no issue with townsiding for a bit at times - but at this stage I think that's a thing to consider tomorrow if the game is still going?

Others:
    -Tom is here strictly on POE. Like, its weird, maybe I'm being pocketed, maybe I'm being an idiot. He's not done that many towny things, looking back over the game. But I really just don't think he's scum. Tom feels towny to me, and I guess that's largely tonal, because we disagree on several points - I think he's read Jan as way more town than I have, his mal read has been off to mein the opposite direction, it's weird that he's not giving more thought to scum!Newcomb worlds (seemingly straight up none) - but I'm still town reading him anyway. But POE-wise he's less likely to be town than Mal, so I guess he should be in the lynch pool.
    -Newcomb is... probably town? Like, the niggling "this is a gambit and I'm going to have to get a tattoo that says Newcomb's bitch after he beats me in consecutive games years apart with gambits" is still lingering and actually similar to the one Mal outlined earlier today, but I also have this sort of read on him that if he were to go for a gambit like that he'd have been more aggressive? Like, it's D4, there are 1-2 scum left, and if he has an extra life that's cool and all, but apart from me and Mal, there's a fair chance that anybody else that he could shoot does as well. If I have the soul read or whatever on him that I think I do, I think he looks ahead and either accounts for this with a plan to keep it from happening or doesn't do it. So basically I think we have to remember to reevaluate him tomorrow if the game is still going and that he's more likely to be scum than any of the above, but again I think he's town.

Which literally leaves only Jan as a suspect for me. Which means I need to case Jan, I guess, and figure something out there. Either the case turns scummy things up and we lynch him and win, or it doesn't and one of my reads is wrong and I'll need to reevaluate something here.

3. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

Jan is seriously your top pick for scum?

"Which means I need to case Jan, I guess" > it doesn't even look like you believe what you wrote.

4. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    See how I manipulated scum into continuing to townread me?
    That was awesome.

---------- Post automerged at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 21:12 ----------

It's cuz he's scum.
    I feel like you realize that.

---------- Post automerged at 21:18 ---------- Previous post was at 21:13 ----------

Also:

[flexes top poster muscles]

---------- Post automerged at 21:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:18 ----------

Definitely knew miner was town here...
    And tried to vote him to make sure he died.

---------- Post automerged at 21:25 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

Fighting pretty hard to get me to stop townreading Jan so hard here.

5. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

I hate you.

6. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    What did I do?
    Catch scum?

---------- Post automerged at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:38 ----------

"catch" scum that is.

7. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

Obviously I'm mad you caught my partner. ;)

or just because reading you is seven different layers of hell

8. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Though to be fair this is the 5th time in this game I've thought that.

---------- Post automerged at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was at 21:39 ----------

Shrug. Just assume town until proven otherwise.
    I'm usually town.

9. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Sigh. Are we really going to lean on that vote miner thing? For the love of god, I didn't want to kill him, I just wanted to make sure we did lynch someone. I actively spent all of the EoD trying to get people to vote for the witch (slippery), and then tried to get a last second vote through on miner because tom intimated that we didn't have enough votes on him for a lynch.

But more to a resonable point, I don't really believe that Jan is scum. I've barely read anything from Jan because my town circle has almost unanimously felt good about him. I literally don't think anybody left in the game is overtly scummy without a reread. I assumed the game would be over before we got to this world.

Which is why I'll case the person most likely to be scum in this world by POE tomorrow, and if I don't turn anything up then I'll throw this whole read of the gamestate out and try again.

10. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Oh don't worry. I would want to lynch you even without that. I'm just convincing these fools.

---------- Post automerged 10-12-2016 at 00:22 ---------- Previous post was 10-11-2016 at 23:40 ----------

Alright, so let's look at this post.
    omgus vote is fine. Lord knows I do it all the time.
    But he kind of kept reading owner as scum forever without really explaining why. Sort of just sheeping me.

Then yada yada yada about having a lot to read. A bunch of hindsight.
    Then the read on newcomb is like, ok. Basically meaningless.
    "Oh I'm townreading him but I always do but he sure did confirm these things we all basically know"
    He purports to be paranoid of him, but he never really is.
    Lazy townread of thug for being suspicious.
    And that whole "this is not town von" thing was, frankly, ridiculous. But he doesn't really believe in it either with the "give me some townVon" line.

It's a good entrance post. At first blush it's all very reasonable. But it doesn't actually say anything AND it's trying to have this complete view of the gamestate without having read the thread.

---------- Post automerged at 00:29 ---------- Previous post was at 00:22 ----------

And here's his reasoning for owner. Miner seemed townie and I wanted to lynch owner.
    Almost makes me think someone in scum chat knows me and just told him to let me hang myself with the owner push.
    Which, you know, if I get lynched I assume that will be at least part of why.

But anyway. Does "tom thinks she's scum" seem like a good reason for top scumread?
    My gut is super good, but it is wrong sometimes. And typh doesn't even know that.

---------- Post automerged at 00:31 ---------- Previous post was at 00:29 ----------

Then there's some campaigning for an owner lynch. Still no reasoning of his own.

---------- Post automerged at 00:32 ---------- Previous post was at 00:31 ----------

Or just, whatever.
    Typh don't care which non-miner townie we lynch.
    Defending miner is a pretty sweet play, because it's not like he was ever living to endgame. There was enough suspicion that he would still get lynched without typh's help.

---------- Post automerged at 00:34 ---------- Previous post was at 00:32 ----------

Ah, and here is the reasoning.
    It's awful.
    And that notes excerpt is super fake.

---------- Post automerged at 00:41 ---------- Previous post was at 00:34 ----------

You know, I'm doing my best with this case but really its just PoE.
    I'm sure I could find this level of scumminess from anyone but von and newcomb if I looked hard enough.

Typh is scum because everyone else is town.
    The only remaining player I'm not actively townreading besides typh is thug, and that's just more of a "wtf is he doing?" and "your read on me sucks" but then I'm like "sure, but why change everything up so much when you just learned to fake your town meta?" and "ok but it would be way easier to just echo the von/newcomb paranoia of me" and I feel better.

Let's kill typh. Everyone else is way townier and he got the cop killed.
    Like, he says it was the mechanically correct play, but scum knew they could kill owner without her being protected and yeah. Typh is scum.

---------- Post automerged at 02:11 ---------- Previous post was at 00:41 ----------

If I wasn't already top poster, I'd be moderately perturbed about this post-merging hell that I find myself in.

Perhaps I'll just go to sleep.

---------- Post automerged at 02:15 ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 ----------

I expect typh to be nearing hard lynch by the time I wake.

The only other thing to really consider today is lynching newcomb if you really believe he could be scum. The two lives thing is pretty scary.

But also, newcomb is town.

11. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

Before you even start wasting your time casing me consider these points :
    During this game I am/was hard townread by those people :
    Newcomb
    Mal
    Tom
    Owner
    Slippery

Snowvon realized the errors of his ways (late to the party as always).

I am fairly certain that I am miles outside my scum range this game (and i am full of myself and my abilities).

What you have to consider is who could I be on a team with.

Look at the interaction between slippery and me. Tell me how likely I am with him?!
    If the answer is very unlikely, then there is a partner alive.

If I was with Newcomb then we would have 3 people alive and won the game.

Have fun trying to build teams/worlds.

I might be slacking a bit in writing, because i fucked up my back and still under a lot of pain while using pain-meds.
    I hope I will get over it soon. Can't promise to spent a lot of time at my pc right now.

12. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    Well that's not very many votes.

---------- Post automerged at 13:59 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

Or very many posts.

---------- Post automerged at 14:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:59 ----------

Guys.
    Guys.

Come on.

13. Story Content: Vote Count 4.1
    Citrus

Citrus First Year

Vote Count 4.1

Vote Count 4.1
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Tom (1): Newcomb (#1032)
    Typhon (1): Tom (#1035)

Not Voting (4): Typhon, Snowvon, Mallorean, Jan

With 7 alive, it takes 4 to soft lynch (when day ends, such a player will be lynched).
    With 13 alive, it takes 2/3 * 6 rounded up = 5 (1 more than soft lynch) to hard lynch (day immediately ends with the lynch).
    Without a hard lynch, Day 4 ends in 40 hours

14. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Yeah, sorry. Busy and sick and a score of other things. I replaced in because I didn't want the game to stall and I thought I had the scum team picked out or at least an acceptable POE from scanning the thread D1. Now that POE list is dead, and I have to do a reset, and I'm just dragging my feet because it's going to take an evening and I just haven't felt like it in this gameday. Honestly, I still don't.

But I'm a swell guy and the world isn't going to end if I neglect it for a while this evening, so I'm about to take a shower and make an effort to evaluate things here anyway.

15. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

I'm actually not crazy about this particular method of slapping town Typhon's interest in looking at you.

Although I do agree that you're proooobably not with Siip... that would just be the weirdest interaction ever to eventually +Life me.
    Snowvon - where are you at, generally? Tom/Typhon ends it? Level of conviction on that, if so?

16. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

what is you problem here exactly?

And what is "town typhon" supposed to mean?

Why does his alignment matter for my statement?

I am telling him that for him to make some sort of case he needs to find a team that is somewhat fitting.
    One way to be sure of a townread is the simple fact that this person is unaligned with (almost) all possible mafia.

---------- Post automerged at 02:47 ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 ----------

By the way .. this is again .. so lazy.
    I am more and more certain that giving you an extra life was a big mistake.

Either you are town and don't care because you have two lives or you are just lazy mafia and finding your partner might become a pain.

But the amount of fucks Newcomb does not give about this game cannot be counted by a single person and it really bugs me.

Like .. I don't think town!Newcomb would ask Von (the confirmed town) without reavaluating himself today.
    Town!Newcomb gets somewhat paranoid and always retracts his steps to look for mistakes in the past.

The question is .. if we take your extra life today .. can we still win tomorrow?

17. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

His issue is the logical one - it's incredibly handy for scum!Jan and conversely utterly worthless for town!Jan to deflect by saying "lol I can't be scum because everybody in the towncircle has a townread on me", and in the world where I'm town and we have 1-2 scum left, its a troubling look from you.

I just didn't point this out earlier because I need actual cases, not little troubling things. It does affect my Newcomb case, though, so there's that.

18. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Sorry, that was supposed to read "down Typhon," as in "slapping down Typhon's interest in looking at you."

---------- Post automerged at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

Literally what I'm doing.

19. tom

tom First Year

High Score:
    I have a pretty high level of conviction typhon ends it, not that you asked me.

20. mallorean_thug

mallorean_thug Muggle

High Score:
    Pop quiz:

When the scum team shot me n2, they thought I was the priest. When the angels protected me n2, they thought the scum team would think I was the priest.

What did both of those groups think my hypothetical n1 check was?