1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Wizarding Idioms and Swear Words

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sorrows, Nov 10, 2020.

1. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Thats why I said this
    Also
    I actually laughed out loud, since it's pronounced like a German word that is commonly used to describe wanking.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Alright, I gotta admit, the 'smurfing' idea actually intrigues me. Using the gender-neutral word wix, I could see it being used as a catch-all word for 'do it with magic' or similar.

"Wix over anytime, we'll have lunch."
    Means to come over using magic - floo, broom, apparate, etc.

"He was wixing like mad when we got there, trying to keep the whole thing from collapsing."
    Means casting, basically. The observer may not have any idea which spells he's casting, but he's casting a lot of things using magic to try to prevent whatever.

"The music was wixen!"
    Awesome, in a magical sense, etc.

"We just wixen about, that's all."
    Screwing around with spells while hanging out, chilling, etc.

"Wix-actly!"
    Exactly, just as smurfs said "Smurf-xactly!" once. Sort of like modern people sometimes say "exacto-mundo" or some other similar word with silly bits added.

Is all of that corny/silly? Yeah, but so is half the Wizarding world. I wish I could find a list of Smurf quotes so I could alter them more into the Wix/Wixen format, but whenever I try to look that up I get a bunch of quotes from the movie.

I think it could work in a story that isn't crack, but it wouldn't need to be all the time in every sentence like the smurfs do. Maybe have characters like Ron do it every so often, and maybe have a single MINOR character who does it a lot, but otherwise try to let it fade into the background like saying "Merlin" does.

3. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    As a German, this was honestly very funny. :p

From a writing perspective though, I don‘t think it really works if it‘s used more frequently than for a couple of really specific phrases.

What makes the Smurfs example great is that you always have pictures to accompany the usage, be it in the comics or the TV show. In a fanfic, those nonverbal clues would be missing, potentially leaving quite a bit of ambiguity unless you interrupt the natural flow of dialogue to construct it very distinctly around the use of the substitute word. The first example vs. the others would actually be a pretty good example of that. With the first one, I‘d imagine the reader would need some sort of clue to arrive at the exact meaning of the word (e.g. mention of ”casting“ in previous line), whereas with the rest the implication should be obvious.

It‘s a really interesting concept, though, and definitely a quirk I could see becoming entrenched in ”Wizard English“ after over 300 years of more or less strictly enforced linguistic separation from the Muggles.

4. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah Ched's examples all make sense as idiomatic statements. It's Aloudas idea of replacing every adjective and verb in a conversation that baffles me, and I think could only work in a crack fic.

Having a word that can generically mean "magic" makes a lot of sense.

"Is your wife at home?"
    "Yes, she's upstairs wixing...don't ask me what she's doing, I don't understand half of it!"

5. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Alternatively of course, it could be that magic is traditionally gendered in slightly nonsensical ways. English does not grammatically gender objects, but it does sometimes metaphorically gender them, think boats and cars being referred to as 'she.'

If it follows that magic tends to get personified/ thought of as somewhat alive in your version of HP. It might be schools/types of magic have attracted genders. For example, potions, hexes, divination etc could be referred to as 'witchery' while transfiguration, curses and conjuring are referred to as 'wizardry'.

6. Eleiren

Eleiren Squib

Something I read some time ago (I'd love to credit the author but I don't know what fic it was in):

"There's no reason to change Abraxans mid flight." Don't over complicate things, though it could also be restructured as a never change a running system type of idiom.

From my own (slightly drunk) mind:
    "Cool your cauldron!" Relax bro.
    "You're guarding the wrong hoop!" You're barking up the wrong tree, but only Wood uses it.
    "Chug the potion." Bite the bullet.
    "It's not alchemy!" It's not rocket science!

Can anyone think of an analogue to "The best thing since sliced bread"?

7. Mordecai

High Score:
    The best thing since the self stirring cauldron?

Nearly as good as a self spelling wand?

8. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Taure uses "the best thing since Merlin" in Victoria Potter.

Personally I'd go with "the best thing since pumpkin juice".

9. Eleiren

Eleiren Squib

I prefer the self stirring cauldron, it makes sense as an invention in universe while the self spelling wand would probably be highly impractical.

Edit: Drunk me is unable to form sentences.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  10. Mordecai

High Score:
    Yeah, I got the self spelling wand reference from PoA:

"I don't care what Fudge keeps telling the Daily Prophet, we're no nearer catching Black than inventing self-spelling wands."

Which, thinking about it, actually works as an idiom for impossibility!

Thats as likely as a self spelling wand. Or some variant?

11. Eleiren

Eleiren Squib

I don't particularly like the Merlin thing since he is already used as a replacement of Jesus Christ/God (By Merlin!).

However pumpkin juice has some potential, the issue I see is that that pumpkin juice would be more analogues to plain bread, while sliced bread implies a slight increase in comfort/decrease in required work to get something common. Maybe bottled Pumpkin juice? But that just doesn't roll of the tongue now does it?

12. HeirGaunt

HeirGaunt First Year

"The best thing since merlin's saggy y fronts"?
    Please don't murder me.

13. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Perhaps "the best thing since pumpkin pasties" instead? In this case the pumpkin would be analog to the bread and making pasties out of it would be slicing it.

14. Mordecai

High Score:
    "The best thing since they started to bottle butterbeer"

15. Mordecai

High Score:
    Thats quite different. The sliced bread thing is a reference to saved time and effort, a provision of consistency and efficiency. Making a whole new product is the opposite.

16. HeirGaunt

HeirGaunt First Year

"The best thing since bottled firewhiskey"

17. Mordecai

High Score:
    Hmmm, I think butterbeer works better for it since a spirit like firewhisky would likely have been sold/stored by the bottle for far longer than a low alcohol beer which would have been on tap for the most part I'd have thought.

18. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Huh, and I always thought it was about making it more appetizing. Though I suppose that's, because I know it as the best thing since toasted bread, which is anything but time saving.

Then yeah I'd go with your bottled butterbeer.

19. Mordecai

High Score:
    Oh yeah, if you were using "best thing since toasted bread" then pumpkin pasties definitely works as the translation.

20. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Thought of a couple more phrases as I was plotting out a story idea tonight:

“That‘s about as likely as a troll solving the Prophet‘s crossword puzzle.”

“He hit the quaffle with a beater‘s bat.” (Making an easily avoidable mistake.)

“stirring the cauldron” (equivalent to “stirring the pot” – Although I get the sense that I might‘ve read this one before… perhaps even upthread?)

“dodging a bludger“ (equivalent to “dodging a bullet”)

And, inspired by the current discussion:

“Who spiked your pumpkin juice?” (Calling out erratic or otherwise disturbing behaviour.)