1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Wizards v. Muggles Megathread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xiph0, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

I think I'd also add that we don't really see wizards ever run out of energy so the idea of too much energy doesn't even make sense. In GoF, Harry spends basically an entire day casting the summoning charm. He starts sometime before lunch, skips lunch to keep practicing, and even when he stops to go to class he is still summoning things under the table during class before having a short dinner and resuming practice until 2am. He is consistently getting better at the charm throughout.

I think maybe the idea comes from the fact that charms tend to wear off of objects over time, but look at how long those charms last. You are talking wearing out over years in many of the objects we see. Think of a broom and how much use it gets vs how long those charms last. You'd run out of bullets and bombs before that shield charm wears out.

2. AutumnSouls

AutumnSouls Squib

Yeah, it destroys the whole kinetic energy argument. Conjuring even a single glass of water would require the energy of numerous nukes. And even Hagrid can conjure enough water to put out a house fire.

3. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

I'm very, very on the wizard side in this whole debate, but I've always thought that conjuration wasn't exactly pulling from literally nothing, but pulling from a kind of... aether, in the classical sense.

I remember a line from DH, when McGonagall has to answer the Ravenclaw common room riddle, which was "where do Vanished objects go?" Her answer - "into non-being, which is to say, everything."

4. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Even if you were assuming that, there are also spells like engorgio, geminio and transfiguration spells that clearly make there be quite a bit more mass than there was before.

5. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The whole premise of conjuration being the creation of matter in that sense is locking yourself into a paradigm of the mechanical instead of conceptual. Quite muggle of you.

6. AutumnSouls

AutumnSouls Squib

The whole point was that if we looked at it that way, wizards would still be superior.

7. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

I think that's because if you look at it as conceptual then the muggles have no chance. Physics would have zero effect on magic.

8. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Except the argument being made is mechanical, that wizards could only block a certain amount of bullets/explosions because of energy. If they are making that argument then the argument that magic is creating matter out of nothing can also be made to disprove it.