1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Riley, Nov 28, 2010.

1. cheeseasaurus

cheeseasaurus Muggle

When I heard the announcement that Blizzard was adding pandas I just shook my head. I saw it coming, yes people have been asking for Pandarans for years. It seems to me that they had all intentions of doing pandas, just saving it for when they're losing subs left and right. I don't know, I'm probably going to be long gone from this game by then... but who knows I've been playing since release so that's a long time. Blizz should just let this game die, I mean they've had to had made over a billion dollars on this thing. Seriously, I don't think an mmo can even hope to come remotely close to the massive amount of success this thing has had.

I will say one thing though, WoW brought mmo's to the spotlight and there has been an influx of players I feel since it's release to this genre. So love it or hate it, I think everyone should be a little thankful for wow :D

2. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

I can't speak for everyone else but I definitely never asked for that back when I played some WoW. I liked the design and humor that pandarens had back in Warcraft 3 but always assumed that it was just something of a cookie to fans.

Just asked the friends that had ever played/is still playing and all of them said they never asked for a playable pandaren race.

3. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Wait, why will this make Chinese players ragequit?
    /culturural ignorance

4. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've heard the requests for the Pandaren before on quite a few occasions and I can even get behind the new race/class but then I saw all of the other shit they're planning on changing and it leads me to one of two conclusions

A. Either every last living member of Blizzard was spontaneously lobotomized and this is what they vomited up when asked about the sequel.

or

B. Hopefully I seriously pray this whole thing is horseshit, to what degree I dont know but I dearly want it to be some sort of Dev Prank. If you take a close look at some of the changes they put in this seems very likely, a good number of the changes they announced would completely break the game and they have done things similar to this before.

5. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

Sadly, its not fake. All this is straight from blizzcon. And if you can find a copy of the intro speech leading up to that video. Metzen sounds utterly retarded as he tells us "and in this expansion, maybe we'll learn a little more... about ourselves."

The worst part of the xpac for me isnt even the pandas.

It's the new talent system.

Now instead of getting a talent point every other level, you get one every FIFTEEN levels, into a class-wide (not spec based) talent tree, where you can pick one of three talents for that specific level.

Some of the trees are ok... Most aren't. And I'm a dps Shaman, the class that gets shafted first every time.

6. Yeagen

Yeagen First Year

I've been playing WoW off and on since Vanilla WoW came out. It was my first real introduction to MMOs and I must say I've had some truly amazing times on WoW. For me the game was really addicting for a while and I absolutely loved it. I've wasted ridiculous amounts of time on WoW and I don't regret it all. The game really is that fun, or at least it was. The feeling of beating a difficult dungeon or downing a hard raid boss for the first time is truly awesome.

As much as I love Wow, nothing stays golden forever. World of Warcraft is well past its prime in my opinion. The expansions have been pretty good for the most part although I'm not huge fan of Catacylsm. It's just that well, the game feels dated now. It's gotten old, there is only so much you can do with the same game before it gets boring and repetitive. The same old WoW questing formula still applies: Go to point A, kill x number of enemies or loot x number of items, then go to point B, rinse repeat. I'm not saying questing isn't fun but after five years and no real changes to the system it gets rather old eventually. PVP is also incredibly fun on WoW but even that can get stale as well.

I don't think any more new expansions will help WoW retain subscribers or be able to amaze and dazzle people as it did when people first stepped foot onto Azeroth. Unless Blizzard makes some incredibly dramatic and creative changes to the game, WoW will not be saved. This new expansion MoP looks like it will do none of this. A vanity pet battling system? A new race that looks like they jumped out of a Disney movie with terrible racial abilities? A new continent they just pulled completely out of their #$%? It's just same thing all over again repackaged every couple of years with each new expansion at this point.

Anyway enough of that negativity. Despite WoW's shortcomings, it still is a very good game especially if one is new to MMOs. If you haven't played WoW at all Riley Poole,you will probably really enjoy it since its your first time. My advice is to try to find a good group of people to play with since Cata is heavily guild oriented. WoW can also be really fun playing solo but I find its more fun to play with friends. A lot of people on WoW are pretty stupid and rude but there are nice people. Just be cool and you will find them.

My main character is a level 85 Orc Hunter on Frostmane by the name of Refustbam. He is my pride and joy. I had really nice gear by the end of Wrath and was doing incredible damage but unfortunately I never managed to beat Ice Crown Citadel because I kept sticking it out with a sub-par guild. :facepalm

Oh well, Wrath was still a blast and I'm enjoying Cata when I do play occasionally. You are welcome to come join me on Frostmane(Horde) if you want. The more the merrier. :)

7. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Um for the people who keep saying that the Pandaren are new, they aren't at all actually. The Pandaren and their country have been in WoW lore since Warcraft 3, it was never in a serious fashion but they were there.

8. Yeagen

Yeagen First Year

I meant new in the general sense that Pandaren are a new race to the game. Not that they are new to the lore. I just think the developers are being lazy with MoP. MoP just seems uninspired in my opinion. If they are going to make a new expansion, then perhaps Murlocs would be an interesting race to play. I know a lot of people love Murlocs lol. Anyone think it would be fun to play a Murloc? :)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  9. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Murlocs are even more retarded than the pandaren.

Why do we need to have a new race?

10. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Because grinding out 90 levels for aesthetic purposes takes more time than grinding out 5.
    :awesome

11. Palurien

Palurien Third Year DLP Supporter

Meh, happy I found a private classic-WoW server to play on. I had 20 times the satisfaction of clearing old Deadmines with a normal group, than any of the raids and heroics I did in TBC and Wrath.

12. Parac

Parac First Year

Palm, this is face. Face, meet palm.

13. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

So Legion is out and I highly recommend it... for returning players.

This has probably been the first expansion that I have been reading the quest dialogue for and I'm loving it. I've been playing on and off since vanilla and nine times out of ten I just skim read and end up skipping the vast majority of quest dialogue, I find it a chore to read and boring.

However in Legion I feel like Blizzard have put extra effort into their quest chains and it shows, this is the most fun I've had on WoW while questing.*

*See: While questing.

WoW has always had some great quest lines, some really rofl quests etc but they have usually been few and very very far between. In Legion however I find myself enjoying most of the quests in all the new zones. Some are ordinary but there are more interesting ones than shit ones which is unusual for WoW. Usually it's bland quest here, bland quest there and every now and than there might be something interesting.

Don't get me wrong, what you actually do in the quests themselves haven't changed much compared to previous expansions. The change is that the quest dialogue is just much more interesting and they have spread the repetitiveness of quests out so it isn't as in your face. A simple change but a major one imo, I'm actually taking my time leveling which is the opposite of what I usually do.

In saying that I got 110 in just over a day real time bitches while leveling as a tank solo with sleep in between. About 20th on my server for my faction. The first person on my server did it in around 10 hours real time whereas I was closer to 30.

/skite out

Another thing I like about Legion is the new level scaling zones. Basically what that means is you get to choose which zone you go to first yourself via your new Order Halls. So you can go to a zone at level 100 or 110 which can be a problem if you are on a PvP server like myself. I didn't have any issues with higher levels because I started at expansion launch but the horde greatly outnumbers the alliance on my server and I was getting ganked like a pro. I can see for characters just starting the Legion expansion the zone scaling can be an issue with having higher levels around if they decide to be a griefer.

So watch out for that.

Back to the zone scaling it doesn't make a difference at all except you no longer go to Zone A than move onto Zone B etc because of level restrictions or quest chain restrictions. The only exception is Suramar which is the new max level zone. You can get to it before your 110 but I don't think any quests are available.

It is a simple feature getting to choose your zone, it changes nothing in the long run but what it does do is add that little extra bit of freedom and allow you to have that little bit of control on what you are doing while going through the leveling slog. No longer was I 'Okay when I finish this I have to go here...' rather I was 'Okay what do I want to do next?' A relatively minor but major difference.

So yeah, if you are a previous WoW player and enjoyed it but got bored get back into Legion, you won't regret it. I'm max level and still having fun and finding plenty to do without even touching end game content or PvP yet. The expansion is only a couple days old though so that might (will) change.

However if you've never played WoW... you are half a decade to late. I got a couple mates to try it for the first time a few years back and I even got bored leveling with them while knowing it gets better at end game. It is a massive beast and I completely understand why WoW is struggling to get new players into the game.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  14. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

This might be the first expansion I don't play. I just find it hard to get interested in it anymore.

15. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

It's hard to explain, but I basically felt WoW just previously provided level zones for new expansions and put all the work into end game content. This is the first one I feel like they have really focused on all the leveling zones and not just the end game content. There is more content for the casual solo player.

Even max level questing is enjoyable. You could be forgiven for reaching max and just taking a week or two off then starting PvP and end game like I normally would do. This time though I've found even max level questing is enjoyable.

I've never been a big person for questing, I'd play end game every other expansion and just basically spend my time in RBGs and Arenas.

So yeah, hard to really pinpoint it but I definitely feel this is the most enjoyable leveling experience I've had in an expansion to date. Everything just feels more focused and driven which is something WoW has always lacked being so big.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  16. Roger

Roger Squib

High Score:
    Oh, wow. The scaling levels for different zones actually sounds pretty neat. I've always liked doing the quests (when it's not super repetitive that is) and getting into the story, so I think I'll give it a try. Is there anything you haven't enjoyed or think could be better?

17. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Dammit, don't make this sound attractive to me. I thought I'd just laugh off every expansion now that I've "quit" this damned game, but everything I read says this is the best one in a long time.

Must... resist...

18. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

Frankly I felt the same way. They actually managed to reinvent the wheel.

19. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    WoD had pretty amazing questing, but Legion definitely improved the formula and made it a lot more interactive. The characters are a lot better written (with a few notable exceptions, like Tyrande and Malfurion) but the story lines and impact is much more intense than the past few expansions. Obviously, this is partially due to them being able to use more familiar characters, but also due to the fact that Blizzard isn't pulling their punches with the seriousness of the invasion.

Admittedly, I'm only 104 right now, but leveling feels pretty decently paced. If at 100 I can do more questing, that's great too since I'm super casual now between class and work. Even as a tank with instant queues, the end game of WoW has and probably always will remain about raiding, which I just don't have the time for. They have certainly opened up a lot of avenues for me to progress (mythic 5 mans) but I still feel the flaw in the way that WoW has shifted trying to appeal to casual players: guilds don't mean as much as they used to. I haven't had a guild in the past two, full expansion packs and still got to see all the content I wanted to.

20. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm playing spriest, just hit 110 after completing Highmountain, then Azuna and half of Stormheim - not that character level means anything. Really clever how they incentivise you to keep questing imo.

Levelling as spriest is a nightmare though. No question void form dps is insane, but the nature of questing makes the lack of self heals (vamp doesn't out heal damage I'm taking), and when you find yourself with 0 insanity and pulling a new mob, I could probably do more dps as holy (until i get to 70 insanity ofc). Healing myself mid combat just makes my dps lower too...

Can't wait until I out gear world mobs again...

Suramar looks utterlt gorgeous. Azuna pre naga destruction would have been a sight too. Highmountain is meh and Stormheim is basically Howling Fjord.

I also like how they have profession quests too.

Oh, and the artefact system is genius. Hope it stays, but not sure how. Having our weapons destroyed at the beginning of next expansion and replaced with new ones with new talent trees? Could be cool.