1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Riley, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The expansion started off getting me so hyped with their cinematics that I resubbed.

Now we're at the tail end and they're ripping off LOTR and just embarrassing themselves. That kamehameha shit is also just... so disgustingly dreadful.

Remember when they teased a BAMF Jaina who wasn't gonna take shit anymore? Then just brought her character right back to where she started and deleting all that potential for growth? Sigh

I hate how much I let Blizzard get under my skin.

2. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

Meh. I'm not looking for all that much. Too much to expect if you ask me....

All I want is some effing closure for grinding so much Champions of Azeroth shiet. From Azerite to CoA Rep to Azerite traits to Azerite essences...

Destroy the sword in Silithus or show us the persona of Azeroth Or I dunno... DO SOMETHING....

Like its completely open ended atm...

While deepcore YouTubers and the like will of course speculate that Argus was the avatar of death...
    Show us the titan Azeroth at least...

:[

3. blob

blob Seventh Year

Weird that they put the perfect casual bait that is Vulpera behind a mind-numbing, month-long grind of obsolete content. You'd think Blizz would offer it as Shadowlands preorder unlock, or maybe as a cash-shop item, rather than the current model.

4. Mestre

Mestre Professor

I don't know what you guys mean, It is a perfect end for BFA and fits with the copy-paste theme of this expansion, now they have a worst Return of the king end with a spice of green Jesus laser from Cata. Sylvanas was more dangerous than an old God.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Lack of consistency in the story, clunky and barebone classes made for ridiculous systems that go away at the end of the expansion, GCD changes, and Sadfang, it´s BFA legacy.

I don't see me coming back for shadowlands, no class overhauls, abilities tied to factions, no end to the faction divide and I couldn't care less about the lore of shadowlands, the "Tyrande focus" will probably be forgiving the horde like Jaina who is stuck between hating or being ok with the Horde every other expansion and making Sylvanas an 8D chess player if they don't turn her in a Kerrigan.

If they dint waste their time making infinite progression systems like AP work maybe they would have more development time and the classes wouldn't suck.

5. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They fired the CM that was apparently working on class overhauls in the infamous job cutting spree they went on a while ago, and they only just recently posted a job listing for that very role.

They're a mess over there. They are very obviously no longer the developer I used to love.

6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Heh, I thought that when they were bought out by Activision.

7. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

Eh. I don't think the impact of activision was immediate.

To paraphrase my point, the merger with activision happened in 2008.

And they still gave us Wotlk, arguably the most widely liked expac of all.
    Pandaland wasn't half bad either.
    Legion was pretty brilliant for me...

I think that Blizzard has started bleeding their core (Values, style, dev strategy; whatever made Blizzard the company it was) in more recent years. The CM firing is just a symptom of a deeper malaise that has recently cropped up.

Having said that, I'll still play Wow even if what they give us next is a few more selfie patches. There's very little to replace Wow in the market which covers all aspects.

8. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

100% XP Boost + Heirlooms +Hat/Wheel on your toons for one month people...

Anyone who wants to start playing again or wants to lvl up alts... Now is an excellent time.

9. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    so trying this for the first time on classic. I have a priest undead character. Any advice for a beginner?

10. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    nzoth prog starts tonight wish me luck

hopefully i don't have another 630 fucking pulls lmao

11. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

Ummm... First time in Classic or First time in Wow, period?

If its your first time in Wow as a whole, and if you're anything like me, get a DPS class/spec for your first toon. You're going to be grinding your teeth just to lvl up with the priest. Especially if you're playing solo.

If its your first time in classic, I would personally say DPS is still a better first toon so you know where to go and what to do...
    But if you're sticking with priest, then find yourself some company to play with.

12. Ankan

Ankan Professor

If you get really stuck on a quest, use wowhead to find help.

There's also other resources like addons that really can be of help when you play, but it is up to you if you want to use them.

Also find people/guild to play with, the game is much more fun when playing with others.

13. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    First time period for all intents and purposes (I think i played for like a week once ages ago). I went back and forth. A lot of guides said what you said but then also said "pick a class you like most of all." My brother who played a ton back in the day said the same. I really liked the whole idea of 'shields' with the priest so i ended up just going with that over say a warrior. Plus battlegrounds sounded really cool and I was hoping to eventually try that.

Hopefully its not too frustrating and I dont end up regretting it. I almost did a warrior.

Any addons you recommend? And yeah toughest part has been meeting folks I think. I had one guy who shared a quest with me and was pretty chill. Most just ignore me when I say hello lol. But I imagine with time i'll find a nitch somewhere.

There isnt a DLP guild or anything is there?

14. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

What server are you on?

Priest is actually a really chill leveling experience. It's not the fastest, but you have practically zero downtime because of spirit tap. Make sure you always have a good wand - if you're literally just starting out, scrape together a few silver and hit up the AH for a lesser magic wand at level 5 and then a greater one at 13.

Be glad you didn't pick a warrior, lol. Leveling a warrior without a high-level alt to feed them gear/consumes is a pretty nightmarish experience. The tradeoff is that once you start raiding and gearing up you do the best DPS in the game, forever, so that's nice.

If you're starting from zero, I'd say go skinning/herbalism. Vendor most of the skins for general cash / training skills. Sell select herbs on the AH. If you're on a medium/high pop server, the economy will be developed enough where you an easily, very easily make your mount money (need 90g by level 40 for the 60% mount) by selling shit like swiftthistle / steelbloom / stranglekelp, all herbs that you can start getting really early on.

The tradeoff with where Classic is at right now is that it'll probably be a little harder to run 5mans, especially out of the way shit like BFD or gnomer. The current meta for leveling is that people are on their 2nd or 3rd characters and just want to do it quickly, so they pay mages to do shit like single-pull Mara and SM for 4-10g/run.

Battlegrounds are indeed cool but there's a lot of frustrating aspects to them as well. Pugging vs. premade, the horrific AV queue time if you're horde, plus the general AV meta is aids. AB came out pretty recently and it's pretty chill, but be prepared to lose to premades, like... a lot.

The good news is that you're picking a great time to hop into the game - ZG is coming out in less than a month, and a lot of people think that post-ZG is one of the most fun times to be in the world. It's a pretty chill catch-up raid so even if you're a fresh 60 in leveling greens you can get some nice gear, you can do it every 3 days and it doesn't require a painful attunement quest like Ony.

As far as addons go, here are a few I'd recommend for a new player going through the leveling process:

Vendor Price / Auctionator - these combined give you a rough idea of what stuff is worth. Especially useful when your bag space is limited.

Bagnon - bag management, very useful.

Giga Auto Resources Tracker - basically "remembers" when you gather an herb/node and shows its location on your map. Download Spinx Gathermate2 Data (Classic) and you'll see everything without having to personally gather it first. Super helpful.

Decursive - definitely download this if you do 5mans as a Priest. Gives you an audible cue when you or someone in your group is affected by something you can dispel, and gives you a one-click box to dispel it.

Questie - shows you quests and objectives on the minimap. Pretty essential unless you really love that whole "exploring the world and having no idea how to do things" feeling, which, is not a terrible thing but I got over it pretty quickly and used this.

If you get into the game and start doing Pvp / endgame content, some stuff that I've found very helpful -

Grid2 - raid frames addon; there are a lot of options here but this is the one I use

Elvui - interface overhaul, very customizable and takes a long time to set up but worth it IMO.

WeakAuras - you can do a lot of really really useful stuff with this; timers, notifications, duration bars, all kinds of shit. Very broad in scope but if you're raiding and feeling the itch to fine-tune or minmax you'll end up using this. Before DBM added a feature like this, I used it on the wryms/Chromag on my mage to announce vulnerabilities, for example.

AtlasLoot - nothing you can't find online but useful to quickly check what drops off what boss. Useful for the high level 5mans where you can't remember if you need to do a specific boss or not.

ItemRack - super useful for swapping between gear sets / trinkets. I use it to swap to FR sets for Vael and firemaw. Can also set it to automatically switch sets under certain conditions, so that when you mount up it switches you to carrot. mithril spurs, gloves with mount speed etc.

Characterstats classic - handy to show you some values that the base game doesn't display.

DBM - deadly boss mods, mandatory for raiding

Spy - less useful than it was since they changed the combat log thing, you used to be able to basically know exactly who was around you. Still useful if only for the Kill on Sight feature, so that you can, for example, make a note of a level 50 warrior who kills your level 35 shaman alt in STV 3 times, so that when you run into him again on your 60 mage you can delete him, camp his corpse, and poly him for 10 minutes. PvP truly brings out the best in people.

Details / threatclassic2 - useful for e-peen stroking. Also a threat meter, so that when chromag starts the fight with frost vulnerability you can see exactly when to pop a lip and then yell at your tanks for being bad.

15. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    haha nice! Thats all good advice. I had the questi addon but none of the others. And yeah im 100% fresh with the priest. Some nice stranger gave me 4 gold though which helped.

Mmm for professions i grabbed herbalism and skinning cause i read those two are good for earning gold? And im on 'kromcrush'

Hmm. Is the horde not good for pvp if theres such giant lines to get into battlegrounds?

16. Newcomb

Just the opposite. Battlegrounds are cross-server, so when you queue up you're joining the totality of every horde and alliance in the entirety of classic. For... various reasons, horde is the more popular faction overall (some would say it's because of their racials being unbalanced for pvp, I'm not sure I'd say it's as simple as that but then again I play horde so I don't have to deal with orcs resisting all my stuns and undead popping out of fear with WotF).

Since there are overall more horde players queuing up, alliance get a near-instant queue, whereas on a weekday during off-hours you could quite literally sit in a queue for AV for 2 hours as horde.

Both races are fine for PvP; the difference is really in how you experience battlegrounds and how the ranking experience is, but both those things, especially the latter, are so far away from where you are now just starting a character that I wouldn't sweat it.

If you're alliance though and don't mind being short, be a dwarf priest over the other options.

17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Skinning made good money back in the day but my experience in Classic was that damn near everyone was a skinner and I made jack all from it till I gave up and dropped it at level 40.

18. Newcomb

You just straight vendor most of the leather. It's a little extra income flow, not a game-changing thing by any means, but from the perspective of a fresh level 1 character, the crafting profs are going to lose you money, and you can't really go mining/herb without it being a major hassle since you can't track both at once.

Herb will get you your mount money, skinning's just a little extra on top of that.

19. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Heh i like my undead priest so ill stick with him but that is a little sad about the battlegrounds i was really looking forwards to them from the descriptions. Two hour waits sound just like... not worth it lol

20. Newcomb

Well, the 2 hour waits are only for AV, one of the 3 battlegrounds. The others are shorter. And it's not like the game pauses while you're in queue, you can just queue up and then go quest or grind or w/e and when the queue pops you can transport yourself right to the battleground.

The 2 hour wait for AV is only really a big deal for the people who just want to grind the rep for the items and then get out.