1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Riley, Nov 28, 2010.

1. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    When you do play is it roughly even in terms of who wins? or is it like.. since theres so many more hoard players the hoard is better and so usually wins? (Or vice versa theres too much chaff in hoard battlegrounds to the alliance wins more frequently?)

2. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

It's not that the horde is better, it's that when you zone into an AV, everyone there on the horde side has been waiting at least half an hour to play, so they're kind of motivated to try. Whereas at least some of the alliance are there just grinding rep and give zero shits, so the second they start to lose they'll just afk. Or at least that was the meta about a month ago when I was ranking, I'm sure it's changed since then.

Basically, winning battlegrounds comes down to premades vs. not. If you're part of a premade, you're all ranking and/or have raid gear, you're all on discord with each other, you're going to mow through pugs like a hot knife through butter.

If you solo queue, it's really just the luck of the draw. You /can/ win against premades, but you just... won't, very often, unless you happen to get an unusually coordinated random group of people. Winning classic BGs doesn't usually come down to individual skill, it comes down to which team can coordinate the best, and the groups of people who've been doing to same BG together for months and are all on comms are gonna have a substantial edge there.

3. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Huh. So no reason to switch to the alliance just for BG wins it sounds like? But ill probably have to try and make some acquaintances and not solo it or anything...

I do appreciate the help btw

4. Newcomb

No, not at all.

If you do decide that battlegrounds are where you want to spend the most of your time, then I'd definitely do some digging around for your sever - most of them have their own Discords - and try to find a pvp-focused guild, one that organizes BG groups and such. There are definitely a ton of guilds that have a "PVE to PVP" mentality.

5. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Makes sense. I suppose ive not actually tried them yet, so maybe when I go in i wont care for it. But I kind of liked the idea of trying to heal a bunch of people fighting real players lol. So in my head it seemed like fun

6. Newcomb

Oh it definitely can be. A good arms warrior with a good pocket healer can be an absolute nightmare in pvp.

7. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    well made it to level 8 tonight! Aiming to get past ten tomorrow.

8. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    So im questing with a friend now who made a character to go with me. Which is fun but since he is only on a couple of hours a day much slower! lol im thinking of making a second character to play solo. Any advice on class? What would be interesting for a newb? im considering a warrior just to bash stuff but ive heard good things on mages too

9. Kevizoid

Kevizoid Seventh Year

Warrior is arguably the best class in Classic. You have the highest dps, you are the premier tank, your rotations and gameplay are dynamic, and they are great to pvp with. They can also be challenging, and have the biggest gear requires.

Mages are the second most played class, and they are a premier farming class. You can do do AoE level boosting shennanigans and farms. They do about 10 percent less damage than warriors on average, can be quite fun, are on the challenging end for pvp (boring for raids).

Those are the two most played classes, and for good reason. You can also play something like warlock or druid that alot less people play and might be in demand.

10. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    heh which would you rec for someone who is at best mediocre at these sort of games and new to warcraft? warrior is fun so far but if its challening might be beyond my skill

11. Kevizoid

Kevizoid Seventh Year

If you are more casual I'd make a mage of the two.

12. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    awesome thanks!

13. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Warlocks and Hunters are also pretty great solo classes too. From memory, Warlocks actually go toe to toe with Mage once the Zul'Gurub hit gear comes out.

I'd steer clear of Warriors. They're not casual friendly at all.

14. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

If you're keen for pvp stick with prot warrior. Very powerful once you learn them. Spend time to learn an OP class or switch and waste time leveling a class thats not as OP and by the time you leveld it you could of learnt prot warrior? I'd just stick with it personally. I use to play prot war originally. Combo it with shadowmeld and gg.

Hunters are kinda irrelevant at PvP until WotLK when they removed the minimum range on their spells from 5 yrds to 0. I mean casually they might be alright but your not going to be winning any 1v1s against decent players. Remember playing arenas and 1v2 hunters as a frost mage, just get in their face and they can't do shit.

If you just looking for a face smasher and some solo enjoyment go Enh shammies. Windfury is always glorious. Always.

/only talking from a pvp perspective and iirc

15. Newcomb

It's not that warrior is challenging, per se, it's just that they're a bitch to level by yourself. Every class has some kind of panic button where if you pull too many mobs you can recover or escape. Except warriors. 90% of the time, if you pull a mob you didn't mean to, you're going to die. They're also the single most gear dependent class there is. They really start to take off when you level them a bit, start getting some good talents, and they're ungodly good properly spec'd and geared in raids, but that's the endgame.

For someone who's new, and starting a 2nd character to level by yourself, I'd pick one of mage, warlock, druid, hunter. All four classes are excellent solo levelers.

Quick pro/cons of those 4 classes:

Mage pro - extremely good utility, can make your own food and water, can port to the major cities, with blink/nova/ice block/cone of cold you have extremely good escape/control tools, you can aoe level which is probably the fastest in the game if done right. If you learn how to do one of the good solo dungeon farms at 60, like DME hydro+satry packs+RTV, or single-pull Mara XP runs, you can essentially print money.

Mage con - you do pretty good damage in raids, but they're very simple/boring mechanically for you and you'll always have a ton of competition for gear. You're super squishy so if you're not paying attention while leveling you'll get 2-shot by stealthed rogues. Water/ports are always in high demand and it gets annoying constantly being bugged for them.

Hunter pro - extremely smooth leveling experience because of your pet and the fact that you do ranged damage and can kite, and aspect of the pack. A lot of tools in your toolbox. You can solo DMN tribute runs for the second-best gold/hour in the game. Very little competition for your first purple bow and tier gear in MC, so you'll get geared pretty fast.

Hunter con - you do marginal damage in raids and it only gets worse the further into classic we get. They fixed them in TBC but for AQ/Naxx they feel very, very gimped and most raids just bring 2 for the bosses that need tranq shot. This, combined with "Everything is a hunter weapon" will make people angry at you when you try to say that you should get a piece of gear from raids that melee dps also want.

Warlock pro - very smooth leveling, pretty fun to play with your toolbox, you have a pet, and multiple ways to manage your health and mana and exchange one for the other. Godlike at 1v1 pvp, or even 1v2 or 3. So many tools to dominate so many classes. Sacrifice, healthstone, death coil, multiple dots, a pet that can counterspell, etc etc etc.

Warlock con - soul shards are aggravating to manage. You also have no movement spell / port, so getting around pre-mount can feel really, really slow. Raiding is aggravating because not only do you have no threat reduction, you also have no way to dump threat. Get a string of unlucky crits, and aside from LIP 'n pray you've got zero way to not die, and sometimes wipe your raid. You do okay-ish damage, but it's severely RNG dependent because you have 0 hit% from talents so sometimes you can cast 20 shadowbolts and miss half of them. The good news is they scale really well, and once ZG comes out and they get some hit gear they start to be pretty solid. They're about on par for mages in AQ, and by the time Naxx comes out they're the premier caster dps class.

Druid pro - can do everything pretty well. You can tank, heal, or even dps any 5man dungeon. (DPS in the endgame dungeons is debatable but you can at least be competitive if you're tryhard with consumes or w/e). You can solo level very smoothly with your various forms. Travel form is so good that I personally know druids who didn't even bother getting a mount at 40.

Druid con - The whole "jack of all trades, master of none" thing leaves you in kind of an awkward spot for raiding. Druid tanks are actually very, very good... for some fights. They're not viable at all for others. And you have to be pretty tryhard with gear, including farming a low-level dungeon over and over for one specific weapon that has charges of melee haste on it. Most druids are kind of pigeonholed into healing, late game, which is awkward because they're not amazingly fantastic at it, just pretty good. Like hunters, you'll never really see more than a handful in any given raid, which is great for gearing up with your tier set, but you kind of get left behind when it comes to the (usually better) multiclass items.

16. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

Warriors are by far the best class for group content, they're the best tanks and the best dps for everything. On the other hand, hunter/warlock/mage don't need a group to do content when leveling outside of dungeons and specific elite quests, so at this stage of the game they're much more fun to play and level when you're not relying on mage pulls in dungeons.

17. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Wow heh. You really know your stuff! Impressive. Ill probably go the mage. Well that or kick my friend to play more because I *am* enjoying my priest. I'm level 12 now by the way! And I got my first talent points which was cool.

Also died for the first time. Heh actually three times in a row before i gave up on the quest (for now! I'll be back when im stronger). It was in the Mills north of Brill trying to infiltrate this tomb and bring back this guys head.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Also btw I had this recommended to me for the points build for my priest...

https://classic.wowhead.com/guides/wow-classic-discipline-priest-healer-leveling-talent-build-1-60

18. Newcomb

That's not a bad spec. Just make sure to put your first 10 points into spirit tap and wand specialization in some order, doesn't really matter.

Disc is kind of the middle-ground leveling path. It's not as fast at solo leveling as shadow and it's not as good at healing as holy, but it can do both decently. Plus if you take that spec into raids, you'll have caster DPS literally bribing you for PI.

19. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Heh nice. i mostly tbh got attracted to the idea of using shields

20. Newcomb

Yeah, I mean PWS is a decent panic button.

Just be aware that they're one tool in a big toolbox, and that specifically you want to be careful about using them on warriors, because warriors generate rage by being hit. If you PWS a warrior tank right before they pull, they'll probably yell at you, because they'll be rage starved and have a bitch of a time getting any aggro.

PWS is a mainstay of a priest solo leveling, a panic button in dungeons/raids, and a way to prevent spell pushback. It's more on the "niche/situational" side of things than the "class-defining" side of things, just so you're aware.