1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Worm by Wildbow - T - Original Urban Fantasy

Discussion in 'Original Fiction' started by Orm Embar, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I kind of feel like we should have a separate topic for spoilers, as it's somewhat annoying to have half the topic in boxes

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Makes it a pain to read on smartphones, right?

3. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Kindle, but yeah, complete pain in the ass

4. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

My pet theory for tinkers is, that their inventions get additional material and energy from other dimensions. The same place Sundancer gets the energy for her miniature sun or the computing power Dinah or Tattletale get for their powers.

So tinkers really could build a nuke out of a toaster if that was the flavor of their power and every other person who copied them exactly would just get a broken toaster.

That's not exactly the explanation of the author, but it works well enough to stop me from wondering about the topic constantly.

yak
  5. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention.

Aisha/Imp - did I miss a scene where she's introduced into the Undersiders? We first see her at Grue's apartment in normal mode, and then several arcs later, she's suddenly a part of the group with no mention of anything. Sure, that could just be her power working on a meta level, but it was a bit jarring. I don't remember any mention of her trigger event either, whether or not it happened during the story after their first meeting. Did I miss something?

6. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

No, it popped out of nowhere for me too. I assumed it occured in an interlude since I skipped most of them.

7. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

That stood out for me to actually. Tbh Worm has been so well constructed so far that the fact that Imp's trigger hasn't been mentioned at all makes me think something's up.

My working theory is that Imp's trigger event involved all of the undersiders. Since her powers seem to rely on memory, I have a feeling that there's a good reason no one can seem to remember/ ever talks about it. Either something really, really bad happened involving her and it wiped everyone's specific memories of the incident or it was just a natural part of her awakening. I mean, her inclusion so far doesn't seem to have changed a whole lot has it? I think that the times when Imp isn't around might be telling.

Either way I feel like it's going to come into focus later.

8. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Skipped? Interludes? That's blasphemy, lots of cool stuff happens in the interludes, and it's always nice to get backstory on side-characters. It gives their actions context.

9. Oz

OMG THE TRAVELERS IT ALL MAKES SO MUCH SENSE NOW

10. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

I was more interested in what Taylor and the Undersiders were doing and the interludes kept interrupting that. Now that I've read it all, I'll probably go back and read through them all.

Edit: Looking back, I exaggerate. I was on top of the interludes up until Arc 15 where they got way more common.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  11. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

So was I but while a few of them don't really make that much difference reading after or before others are really important to better understand the context of the main story. Plus several show Taylor from the vision of other people and that is pretty interesting.

12. Nae

Nae The Violent

You guys convinced me to read it. :D

Currently on the 5th Arc (Hive). Enjoying it so far.

13. Oz

Got home at 20:00 yesterday, decided I'd read a chapter then do some assignments...

Put down my phone just as the sun was rising, but I'm finished everything that's there now.

This is definitely the best thing ever. I can't believe how good this is. I love you, OP.

14. Ashan

Ashan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

HTTrack, downloading, apparently isn't even 10% done and it's over 300 meg. I'm blown away.

15. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I think you're doing it wrong.
    It was ~70 MB for me.

Maybe you're downloading all the pages it links to, too.
    Before you start, try changing the preferences. Go to "Limits" and try "Maximum external depth: 0" and "Maximum mirroring depth: 2" and put "http://parahumans.wordpress.com/" as Web Addresses.

That should limit it. (Only problem was having to use the sidebar to jump to the next chapter.)

16. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Misconfiguring HTTrack is 99% of the problems people have with that program.

17. Tesla

Tesla Auror

This is fucking amazing. Ok, there are some flaws, but let's be honest: when a story is this fucking immersive who gives a shit about some minor (and inevitable) plot holes?

I mean, I'm still only on Book 13, but this shit be good, and there's no sign of it letting up. 5/5. OP did good. OP did very, very good. I would never have discovered this by myself.

(but yeah, really, how is this shit not published or something?)

18. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

I feel like this might be the first time that OP just fucking delivered. Like unanimously.

Also was updated today with a very cool Chat-log type interlude. I'd say that even if you haven't been reading the interludes, you should give this one a try. Or maybe I just go into withdrawal if I don't read everything Wildbow puts out. I dunno.

Oz
  19. Oz

On the subject of today's chapter,
    is he one of the dudes she had to do a presentation with in one of the first chapters?

20. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Yep. It's a callback of nearly a million words.