1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Worm RPG - City & Character Creation Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Aekiel, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Ashan

Ashan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

London. Smurf.

Also, from somewhere else:

Implication is that Endbringers have attacked the same place more than once, just not twice in a row.

There's also a mention of a Supervillain named "Pestilence" in London.

In terms of character creation: I actually have very little idea of how to build a character in actual in game terms. Was thinking of the following powerset: Shaker who reshapes terrain. Opens fissures, changes solid ground to quicksand, etc., but can only affect non-metals.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll allow the +4, since you're looking at -10 worth of refresh for it. Be aware that you're going to start the game with no fate points whatsoever, though.

I would like you to take Mass and Explosive as part of your explosion power though, since explosions are not known for being discriminate in their choice of targets. They work out as -0 put together, and you can afford Selective for -1 since you're only spending 3 refresh on that Incite Effect as is.

Also, you may want to think about getting rid of the second Incite Effect and just adding Incite Additional Effect to your main one instead. It'd allow you a whole range of offensive options while in Air Form, given that you've got your Limitation preventing its use in regular form.

As for Inhuman Speed. It's a decent idea (Shadow Stalker style) though you might want to think about taking Displacement instead. It more accurately covers the stealthy thing you've got going. Displacement + Invisibility works out at -2 as well.

Scaling powers are really difficult to work in this system, and cost a hell of a lot of refresh at the best of times, so it'd be best if we didn't go that route. I also don't think there's a way to do what you're suggesting without taking Channelling or Evocation, since Incite Effect is more of an all-or-nothing thing.

Also, change in air pressure isn't going to cause that much of an explosion. There simply isn't enough space in a person to cause that kind of pressure wave. If you're going with this idea, I'd suggest an actual explosive effect.

I'd go with having access to the explosive effect at all times, but the Tied add-on giving you the ability to use it on the same turn as you turn into your gaseous form (and vice versa). It costs [-1] because it allows you to change into Gaseous Form as part of an attack, rather than as its own action.

As I said before, Tied doesn't pin you down unless you've got a Limitation attached.

Don't attack the same place twice in a row, or the same Endbringer twice in a row.

---------- Post automerged at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

Yep, as I said above. As for the Smurf; I'm willing to change minor background details if need be. We're working with a mostly clean slate here, so I'm not too fussed if a few Endbringer attacks are changed around.

Still, we'll all be throwing ideas for Themes and Threats out there and then deciding from the list which three we're going to use.

Nifty, I'd had an idea for a villain called Plaguebearer (a kind of Panacea-lite who can create and modify diseases), but this guy fits the bill better.

This is a pretty simple one. Incite Avoidable Restrictive (Persistent?) Physical Effect at Range [-4 or -5] with a Limitation (non-metals) [+1]. Maybe at Mass and Selective in there so you can attack zones and not be killed yourself. So you're looking at:

Incite Avoidable Restrictive Persistent Physical Effect at Range [-5]
    Limitation [+1] (non-metals)

Or

Incite Avoidable Restrictive Mass Persistent Selective Physical Effect at Range [-7]
    Limitation [+2] (non-metals)

A very versatile power that can be used for a bunch of lethal/non-lethal stuff. Very good for a villain too, since walls will be nothing to you.

---------- Post automerged at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

Damn this thing got popular. We're kinda full up on Player Character spots, but if you want to join in I can throw you two and Lamora an NPC or two each that you can use. They won't be in every scene like a PC and I'll be essentially telling you what their goal is for the scenes they are in, but after that it's up to you.

Think of it as getting cameos. :)

Also, in the event of PCs dropping out one of you three could pick up a replacement character (or just upgrade an NPC to a full PC).

---------- Post automerged at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

Feel free. I'll probably be adjusting some of the NPCs you're all coming up with to fit the themes of the city better, but the more ideas I have to work with the quicker we can get the game up and running.

3. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Filler for Aek.

4. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

Whoops, forgot about having to leave one refresh so I'm actually allowed to have free will, I'll move things around a bit.

Well, the reason why I didn't want to go for explosive is the simple fact that a zone is a pretty big area, and I had originally imagined just having a small burst from it, which would at most knock somebody over or disorient them, but I can see where you're going with it.

I had thought about that, but I was mainly just keeping it separate for now so I wouldn't get things mixed up :p

To be honest, I mainly wanted it because of the fact that all of the traits of it work so well with me. Having a better initiative is always good, and since I was planning on making Athletics the skill for my power, getting a +1 to all athletics checks means that I would be using +7 for a lot of rolls (+8 when sprinting :D ). Being able to move i a zone for free would also be nice since it would allow me to bounce around attacking vulnerable targets and finally, being able to ignore a penalty when using stealth would help with one of my few weaknesses.

And as for Displacement, well, in all honesty, I kinda already do it, but better with Gaseous Form, unless of course I'm misunderstanding things and I'm a hilariously obvious fog instead of being air, in which case I may have to change things around :p

Also, just looking over Gaseous Form again, apparently I have to spend an entire exchange to transform, so unless you want to houserule it, I'll have to change a few of my tactics :p

Well here's the thing right... You're making the assumption that the big numbers explosive effect is from myself transforming, and not say, Hadrians Wall. Because uh, remember how I just compared my character to Carmen Sandiago? And how I said that my character would work better as a villain? And how I have the ability to transform non-living objects into air? And that I never actually said if there was a size limit? (which makes sense because I don't remember any other powers having limits like that) And that I was very specific in how the explosive effect was from something going from air to solid?

Because yeah, I kinda have a list open of Famous English Landmarks and I kinda plan on making my way down them :|, after that I'll probably just start throwing/dropping them at people because I can. I don't really NEED the explosive effect, but it would be nice...

If I'm not limited to only using it with Gaseous Form than it makes a bit more as to why it costs refresh instead of giving it to me :p. I was kinda hoping to be forced to work with that limit to make things interesting, mainly because of the fact that I liked having a window of being vulnerable so you could screw me over easily (that way I don't have to worry as much about you getting creative D: ).

5. nath1607

nath1607 Groundskeeper

This may give some potential exposition for your world Aekiel, it was in the latest update in PRT Quest:

6. Aekiel

High Score:
    LOCATIONS

If you're a bit confused over whether something should be a theme or a threat, go by this measure:

Themes are long term aspects on a city that encompass an overarching 'feel' of the place. In terms of Brockton Bay we'd have Neo-Nazi Capital of America and Dockyards turned Ship Graveyard. They don't have to be very nice aspects, but they're not an immediate problem.

Threats, on the other hand, are very upfront problems. Bakuda's bombing spree would have been a Threat, as would Endbringer Attack and Echidna on a Rampage.

There are going to be some things that fall into the middle somewhat. Think of the Coil. He started off as part of a Theme (perhaps Supervillain Stand-Off) but would gradually work his way into being the more immediate Threat as the Supervillain Head of the PRT.

When a location is tied to a Theme/Threat it gives a very brief idea of how big of a problem that location is going to be. Brockton Bay's Ship Graveyard would be a Theme at the start of the series, but once Cherish gets stuck down there it becomes a very real and dangerous Threat thanks to her Suicidal Aura.

Anyway, more locations!

No need to go into extra detail; the Idea and Aspect cover that already. London already has a bunch of castles, so maybe a renovated one would make more sense. The Tower of London is a decent idea too.

7. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

Time for a few general questions, what's the verdict on being a cauldron cape? Probably not a good idea to have too many, but we could have the reason why we wanted powers as an aspect, and the debt we owe as a trouble. Also, I'm assuming that if we manage to gain more Refresh, we'll only be allowed to save it for extra fate points or stunts.

And as for my updated power list that I mentioned:

Inhuman Recovery [-2]
    Displacement+Invisibility [-2]
    Incite Tied Effect [-2] (Discipline - Air Transformation - Tied to Gaseous Form)
    Limitation [+2] (Only in Air Form) (For Recovery and Displacement)
    Incite Tied Potent Physical Effect [-4] (Discipline - Vacuum/Explosion - Tied to Gaseous Form)
    Limitation [+2] (Only when changing from Air Form) (For splosions)
    Gaseous Form [-3] (Air Form)

This should leave me with 1 refresh left over so I still get to have free will and not be an NPC :D

8. Corellon

Corellon Second Year

I'm admittedly still puzzling over what to make my powers, so I've started to reread Worm for ideas. I've read this thread once, and I'll probably give it a better re-read later, after I've made my character, which is mostly what I'll be spending today doing.

9. Aekiel

High Score:
    If you're having problems with mechanics and such, just post them here and I'll give suggestions. I'm popping in and out of this thread a lot as I play some ESO, so it shouldn't take long to answer.

10. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I had the impression that we were supposed to wait a bit with the character creation?

11. Aekiel

High Score:
    Nah, start creating your character any time you want.

---------- Post automerged at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

Oops, thought I'd put that in the rules already. Cauldron Capes must have an aspect relating to their debt, but it doesn't have to be their High Concept or Trouble. HC is for the basic description (Insect-Controlling Supervillain) and Trouble for the aspect that, well, is most troublesome for them (Problems With Authority).

When we reach a major milestone you can spend the refresh on powers and just say it's 'discovering' a new facet of the power. Like Skitter learning to hear/speak through her bugs.

12. Corellon

Corellon Second Year

All right, here's my current power list after poking at it for several hours.

Teleportation [-2]
    Rapid Teleportation [-1]
    Long-Distance Teleportation [-1]
    Inhuman Dexterity [-2]
    Superhuman Acrobatics [-1]
    Kusanagi [-2]
    Manifested Item [-0]

Total: -8

High concept is something like The Quiet Free-Runner. Or maybe King of Mobility, haha.

Oh, and I'm Corellon on Obsidian Portal.

13. Aekiel

High Score:
    Could you describe your power for me? What is the basic premise of it and so on?

14. Corellon

Corellon Second Year

I could have just taken wind manipulation(incite effect), but starting that turned out to be less interesting than incorporating a bunch of different wind/air aspects.

In short, it's mostly imbuing myself with aspects of the wind. Inhuman dexterity and superhuman acrobatics from quick gusts and flowing breezes, respectively. Teleportation would be just moving through my chosen medium. Kusanagi is the Grass-cutting sword, and has the closest ties to my power, with wind manipulation as one of its powers. However, it's extremely unlikely that I'd own the real thing, and instead manifest a copy of it as related to the cutting aspects of wind, as well as the impermanence for manifesting it.

Happily, this gives me a lot of flexibility when it comes to expanding my powers later.

15. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Three Blasphemies are Europe based as well aren't they? I've always wanted to find out more about them.

16. Aekiel

High Score:
    No. You really don't. :D

Oh, another important question.

What do you guys think about character death? I'm willing to fudge the dice so that PCs don't die unnecessarily, though the FATE system is fairly forgiving in that regard anyway, if you guys don't want to risk losing your characters in any random battle.

17. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Damn, a play by post with folks from DLP sounds like a hell of a lot of fun. Regretting the hell out of keeping Worm on my backlog for the last.. six or so months now.

Be really interesting to see how this goes, though. Have fun, dudes. :D

18. Aekiel

High Score:
    @Corellon

Hmm, sounds like your power is more along the lines of self-improvement than conjuring weapons, so perhaps drop Kusanagi in favour of Incite Effect (Weapons - Wind enhancement).

Looking at it now, Item of Power doesn't really fit in this setting outside of Tinker Tech. Then again, Dauntless' power would fit it very well. Either way IoPs in Worm don't really give out magic powers; they're inherent in the person rather than the Item.

Also note that Teleportation does not give you any bonuses to dodging. It's a badly written power but I've talked to the guy who wrote it and he says the intention was to give a +4 bonus to sprinting (i.e. running away) rather than replacing Supernatural Speed. Also, Long-Distance seems to be a bit strange of a power to have when your other ones are more body-based powers.

Finally, Oh God. I don't like Inhuman Dexterity at all. I'll write up a different one, see if you still like it.

I'd suggest something along the lines of:

Rapid Teleportation [-3]
    Inhuman Dexterity [-2]
    Inhuman Speed [-2]
    Superhuman Acrobatics [-1]
    Incite Effect [-1] (Weapons - Wind Enhancement)

Total: -9

You don't need Long-Distance Teleportation. Revised Inhuman Dexterity is below. Inhuman Speed fits very naturally in your set up and gives you that much needed bonus to your defensive abilities. Superhuman Acrobatics is fine. Incite Effect in this case would be used primarily for layering manoeuvres on your weapons that you can use for +2 to Weapons (or tagging/invoking for effect for blasts of wind knocking enemies away), since that seems to be what you were going for with Kusanagi.

If you want you could take the Line of Sight upgrade for Rapid Teleportation, which would give you an extra point of refresh to work with.

Note: You miscounted in your original tally. Those powers would have brought you to -9 refresh, not -8.

I'm throwing this one up on the Jim Butcher forums for critique so don't take it as final, but I'm fairly happy with it as is. Might be a bit powerful for -2 refresh though.

-----------------------

Looking at it you've got a fairly versatile character, though your original write up was a bit too heavy on the teleportation compared to your character concept.

19. Corellon

Corellon Second Year

I agree that Long-Distance was a bit much, it was mostly a left-over of the character I started out making (as was that math mistake), and I never took it out. If I do take LoS required for Teleportation, would I still be able to teleport using a video feed? What about a photograph?
    Rapid Teleportation seems much less useful now, but I guess I'll stick with it.

The new Inhuman Dexterity does look a lot better than the old one, I'll definitely be taking that.

I wrote out a whole bunch of stuff about why I wanted Kusanagi, and in doing so convinced myself that I liked Incite Effect better, haha. That being said, my character is definitely in the market for a sword that he's unlikely to break.

Sounds like my new HC is King of the Wind or something similar.

(Is your new avatar Jack Slash? If so, I'm very afraid suddenly.)

20. Aekiel

High Score:
    I felt the need for a new avatar. :)

As for unbreakable swords, well, unless you've got a Tinker on hand that's ready to supply you with such you're unlikely to find one. That said, you don't have a strength power so chances are any sword you use will only be broken by your enemies.

As for teleportation, how exactly were you going to teleport via video feed anyway? I think you may be taking the descriptions of these powers a bit too literally; the mechanics are there to be adapted to your character, not the other way around. As it is your character's version of teleport, to me, is more like travelling as a high speed gust of wind than actual teleportation. The mechanical effects are the same, just the fluff is different.

Shout up if I'm getting that wrong by the way.