1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Worm RPG - City & Character Creation Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Aekiel, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Corellon

Corellon Second Year

Nah, that sounds better than what I was thinking of.

Sounds like I've got my character mostly hammered out, at least as far as mechanical details goes. Tomorrow, I'll probably throw out some theme/threat ideas, but we'll see how it goes.

Looking forward to this even more now.

2. Ashan

Ashan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

My concepts above were all the high-powered stronger members of the Invokers, but in terms of their rank and file, I was thinking something along the lines of

I also set the Lair as a theme, rather than a threat. The group is huge, pervasive and most people just chug along and try to ignore the fact it exists. You may run into individuals from the group, and maybe one of the Adepts/Artists may ask to do a collaborative job, or see one of us as a rival and try to take one down. Alternatively, try to recruit someone they think has potential, which may lead to an ugly escalation if it isn't handled diplomatically.

For my character,

Incite Avoidable Restrictive Mass Persistent Selective Physical Effect at Range [-7]
    Limitation [+2] (non-metals)

Seems good. Was thinking that eventually I can expand it (A:TLA style) to working on impure metals, though at a much, much slower rate. Not being able to manipulate the metal itself, but rip it apart with the impurities inside. Something to spend points in, eventually.

To describe the character itself, I'd say a second generation British citizen, parents receiving citizenship after fleeing from China with the young son or something along those lines. Mild mannered, studious, typical Asian character. 19 years old, doing this on his off time from university to earn money on the side. Went into this line because he dislikes the bureaucracy involved in official parahuman work (as well as the necessity to clean up after his power-usage), and hates that he went into Mechanical Engineering purely because of his parents. Parents work in York or Manchester (somewhere further north), which prevents them from being too involved in his life regarding his villany.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's fine. Now we need to work on actual characters.

Here's the format I'd like you all to use for character sheets.

Aspects should be interesting and usable by both you and I. The aim here is to make a conflicted and, usually, traumatised character. If you didn't get your powers from a Cauldron Formula then you've probably gone through a very traumatic event to get them. This should be emphasised somewhat.

The Guest Star ones tend to take the longest to do (and often don't get done at all), so if you're stuck on one just write up a story with another PC and ask them if they have any problems with it afterwards. Easier and quicker, I've found.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  4. Ashan

So I'm missing some stuff, but I'll come back and put it in later.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  5. Aekiel

High Score:
    Looking good!

We've got two power sets and one full character sheet so far. If anyone is having trouble with their character feel free to ask questions on here or contact me through Facebook/Steam/PM.

---------- Post automerged 03-03-2014 at 06:54 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-03-2014 at 04:59 PM ----------

@Ashan: Just realised that you should be on -9 refresh. Stunts cost -1 refresh each, drawing from the same refresh pool as your powers do.

6. Lucien

Lucien Muggle

I wouldn't mind an NPC or two; should be fun.

7. Aekiel

High Score:
    I'm afraid we're full on that mark too, now. I'll let you know if I have a spare character you can use, but you'd he the very last NPC player.

8. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Did you get my PM, Aek?

9. Ashan

So I talked with Aekiel the other night (day? Whichever), and he thought that maybe we can run our final phase (Phase 5) together as a sort of tutorial mission, though I have no idea how it would really work. Maybe something goes horribly horribly wrong, we get separated, and have differing experiences leading to different aspects?

10. Aekiel

High Score:
    @Ashan: Well, the idea I have for the first session could work fairly easily as a tutorial, since I came up with it as a way to ease the new players into the game mechanics.

@Lamora: Yes. I opened it a few days ago, then went to sleep and forgot about it. I'll reply in a sec.

11. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

Quick question about second triggers, how exactly do they work with this system? Also, how much leeway do we get for spending Refresh normally to upgrade powers?

12. Aekiel

High Score:
    Not entirely sure at this point, but it would definitely involve an Extreme consequence that would then become an aspect related to your Second Trigger.

My first instinct is to say that the cape that triggers again would get X amount of refresh to spend as credit. The drawbacks from this are the mandatory aspect change, not being able to buy powers/stunts while you're still in the black and having a Fate Point refresh rate of zero until the same.

So really, you get some refresh as a lump sum that you then have to pay off for Y amount of time afterwards.

This isn't final though, so don't take it as such.

13. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

I know it's a bit (read: way too) late to get in on this, but I do have a question for future reference. How much experience with this kind of stuff do you need to have for the Worm RPG?

14. Aekiel

High Score:
    OKAY!

Characters we have so far are:

Ashan - Fissure (Long Li Wei - Kyle) - Non-metallic Shaker
    Corellon - Unnamed - Wind Mover/Striker
    Kalas - Unnamed - Self Improvement Trump/Stranger
    Mishie - Wisp (Unnamed) - Air Changer/Striker/Stranger
    Nemrut - Unnamed - Ice Striker OR Kinetic Brute/Striker

Well, we're looking at a very combat focused team here. One or two of you might want to think about going for a non-optimal skill choice so that you're not all vulnerable to the first Master or Stranger that comes along.

Also we're very heavy on the strikers here. Nemrut, since you're looking at Ice/Kinetic powers, you might want to consider going the whole nine yards and taking a Blaster power. It'd fit well with Channelling, though you'd be losing the Limitation rebate.

Finally, if we could all post what we've got in this thread that would be very helpful. Doesn't matter if all you've got is a concept; we can work around that and you guys can come up with ways to synergise your powers a bit. The idea is to work as a team, so coming up with some little tricks in advance might be useful.

---------- Post automerged at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

Given that half of this stuff has been made up explicitly for this campaign, I'm going to go with none. Absolutely none.

15. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Ah, hadn't realized there were so many strikers, will adjust to a blaster.

Edit: will post what I have so far tomorrow evening.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  16. Corellon

Corellon Second Year

So, despite having midterms coming up, I worked on this some, at least enough to post.

Anyway, precognition might work with my character, as far as reading the winds goes, or something similar. I'm not sure what I'd drop in favor of it, however, but it would give us some points in Thinker to help against the aforementioned Master/Stranger weakness.

I assume the guest stuff is what we're going to work out together mostly, so I haven't done anything with that.

That's what I've got so far. Notes are mostly for myself, but I'll be working on this more later.

17. Ashan

Was thinking of the Suits and how to delineate and delegate them.

The King of Cups created black simulacrums that could replace limbs. Queen of Swords connected to capes, drew some kind of diagram and it gave bullets (projectiles?) she shot through it additional effects (Based on the capes?. Another Sword created ribbons to trap opponents. Knave of Hearts was "handling communication and pinpointing the other portal locations", and "The Hearts of the Suits have good relations with other teams and places."

We were also told "Spade, Diamond, Club, Heart, Sword, Coin, Wand, and Cup. Each group has a specific focus, ranging from general patrols to public relations or dealing with more abstract crises." Also, "Public service, fighting, intrigue, fast response and watching for malfeasance in other areas of the public". In addition, "I could see the other heroes. Miss Militia and Glaistig Uaine. Revel and Exalt. Protectorate teams, sub-teams of the Suits, including the non-combat teams of the Hearts and Cups."

Cups represent emotional issues, spiritual/religious matters. Swords represent military, Wands to information, nature, and poverty. Coins relate to possessions and wealth. Cups evolved into Hearts, Coins to Diamonds, Swords to Spades, and Wands to Clubs. Given all of this, as well as some thematic licensing, I think we can say that Cups/Hearts, etc. handle similar matters, but in separate areas. Say, Cups local PR, Hearts international relations; Swords quick response and Spades heavier combat.

So what I was proposing is something along the lines of:

18. Aekiel

High Score:
    I was going to post a bit on this today but you've apparently beaten me to it. :p

We've had pretty much the same ideas, though I had the Coins down as Logistics, with intrigue and co-ordination being combined into Intelligence under Diamonds.

Anyway, I'm working on locations and faces today. I'll have a bunch of stuff posted in a few hours so if you guys could critique them I'd appreciate it.

---------- Post automerged at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

Also, a Power Granter power ripped straight from the JB forums. Thanks be to Stirge and Sanctaphrax for this (as well as the Tinker power).

19. Aekiel

High Score:
    I'm not dead. I've just been reading Words of Radiance all weekend. I'll post more when I'm finished.

20. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Sorry I still haven't posted a solid (or any) character sheet, am cobbling one together now. Have a question about the Guest Starring, am I supposed to just make one up or are we discussing what we are going to put there?