1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Would Hermione be a good as friend to Harry if he was smarter than her?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pikachu, May 30, 2023.

1. Pikachu

Pikachu Banned

Everyone goes after Ron, but I wonder after all the jealous bitchy behaviour she had when he was outperforming her in potions with HBP book and smug behaviour after she says she was right about the book all along makes me think of their friendship would have been as good if Canon Harry was way smarter and outperformed her in school? Hell Ron may have his insecurities on Harry but could Hermione handle being outperformed by Harry?

2. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

She was fully supportive when he was outperforming her in DADA, she'd still be a good friend if he was better in general. Only problem would be if she didn't approve of methods he used to outperform her, but just being smarter isn't one she'd dislike.

Not like Hermione ever showed hostily towards people like Dumbledore for being vastly better than her.

3. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

If anything, Hermione was overly trusting of teachers and things like books she saw as authorities on a subject. If Harry fell into that category I don’t see why he’s be different. She’s not resistant to following his lead in the DA.

Her attitude with the HBP potions stuff seemed to originate from the fact that Harry(who was not known for being good at potions) was inexplicably deviating from the original instructions. Then when he explained later, it turns out he was following unsigned random scribbles written on a used textbook.

We know that it’s fine as readers, but it hardly seems like an unreasonable level of caution to not follow instructions when you don’t know what the results will be.

Hell she was even right. Harry went and tried a random spell when he didn’t understand what it was for and nearly murdered Malfoy by accident.

4. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

The only potential source of tension I see would be if this smarter Harry intentionally or unintentionally exacerbated Hermione's irrational neuroticism about flunking out of school. She could resent him not so much for his superior skill, bur rather for him not feeling the same level of anxiety she does about grades. But even then, that hardly seems like an insurmountable problem or anything.

5. Harpo the Fool

Harpo the Fool Fifth Year

This comes up in the much reviled HPMOR and in the end, they stay close to each other.