1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Would you die to save your best friend?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Master Slytherin, May 17, 2006.

1. madeyemoody

madeyemoody High Inquisitor

I would only die for my immediate family and thats it.....I don't have any "friends" merely the people who I associate with during school. With the exception of only 2 of them with who I actually would trust with my life because we share the same views on practicly every subject. All my other "friends" I would sell out just for the enjoyment of seeing them squirm and make no attempt to save them unless I benefited in some way fame,money,women,etc.

Yes I'm a cold hearted person but I despise the two faced unintelligent people who frequent the halls of my school

P.s. I am not racist nor sexist merely I hate just about everybody

moody out

2. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Yeah, I know what you mean about the words.

However, they have been backed up by actions in the past.

But yeah, that friendship is close to what I was thinking of. The key is, no matter what at the end of the day your friends again.

3. se7en

se7en Professor

I wouldn't die for anyone.

I wouldn't consider myself a coward because there are so many factors, such as him dying after I die, which totally would be a waste of my life.

I don't know though.. I don't think I'll ever be in that situation

4. BlueMagikMarker

BlueMagikMarker Pirate King Yarrgh's First Mate

I would lay down my life for any of my family... but that's where it stops.

The problem with me dieing for a friend is the fact that I don't do relationships... of any kind really. I moved a couple of times while I was in that stage of life where you start making real friends, where you grow up together. Because of that, I've tended to remain emotionally unattached. Sure, there's a bunch of people that I hang out with and that I like, but will I miss them when I move again? Nope. Would I die for them? Nope.

5. madeyemoody

madeyemoody High Inquisitor

You and I have much in common, I think we sha'll get along famously:cool:

6. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

If there ever was a way to kill myself then suicide it is. If I was all tied up and being tortured then I am honestly not sure how long I would last.
    Later probably take my own life knowing I am responsible for the death of my friend’s family

My family I will give my life. My friends I will stand by their side against any one. I am not sure about the "die" part, maybe or not

7. apocalypsemeow

apocalypsemeow Professor DLP Supporter

This is a hard one...I do agree though that it would come down to the situation, I mean, I'd need a pretty good reason to die for my friend. I would never betray a friend, but die for them? Maybe...Someone in my immediate family? Most likely.

A year or so ago, I probably would have said that I would die for my friend, but since then (when I started high school), we have grown apart. Even then, I wouldn't know until the situation arose.

My family and I don't necessarily get along all that much, but I would still die for them.

Granted, if someone was trying to force me to a) betray friends/family, or b) force me to worship them, and someone was going to die anyways, I'd probably go ahead and die.

But of course, who wants to die?

8. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Would I die for family? Most likely. But would it be what they wanted me to do? I know my parents would rather I live, and thus that must be taken into consideration. For friends? Eh...I don't really have any friends who are close enough that I'd die for.

9. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

I'd die for my family without even thinking that's for sure.

As MysterioX said, I would stand firm beside most of my friends against anyone and probably would lay down my life for my best friend. However these things can't be predicted but I know I'll stand by them.

10. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I would think it would depend on the circumstances, I think in the Voldemort scenario I would do it whether I care about the person or not, there is no choice that I would find favorable in that situation so the quickest path to my death would be my choice.

But in other situations I would have to ask myself the actual question you are asking, could you live with yourself if you didn't? If I could find a reason that I could live with myself then I would step aside or whatever it is I need to do to survive. If I could not possibly live with myself if I did not do everything that I possibly could then I would happily go to my death. It is not a very clear answer but it is an honest one.

11. saL

saL Second Year

if there was a fighting chance i'd probably risk it for my sister, no one else; but if it was any other situation i would chose my life and betray them, even knowing that i could barely live with myself after that.

call me a coward but i prefer the term realist. at least that way you can get your revenge or you can try to doublecross whoever threatens you.

12. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

No. But ina situation like Wormtail? No but Id set it up so that everyone could escape. Tell Voldie Id help out, warn friends, send voldie on his way, then book the first ship to antartica.

13. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

lol. But then you've practically ruined your life anyway. I hear Antartica's terrible this time of the year.

14. Jaid

Jaid Guest

That would depend on if I was mad at my best friend at the moment or not. I'd probably lie to Voldemort though, just for the heck of it. Yes, I'm suicidal...

You mean if we were both hanging off of a cliff and only one of us could be rescued? Yes, I'd die. If it was take a bullet for the other person? Probably not. Poison inna cup that had to be drank? Maybe. To be honest, I'm fickle, and as much as I'd love to say I would be willing, I can't say for sure. I don't like pain. At all...

15. Skade

Skade Guest

Indeed I would die for family and most of my friends, life is so important to me, even more important than mine. (I feel odd out about that though.)

I'd lie too, old Voldemort would be fun to lie to, especially if you could pull it off.

16. Vayne

Vayne Second Year

On the general "would I die for my friends" subject, there's only one person I can definitely say I'd die for. I've known her for most of my life, more than twice as long as any of my other friends, who I tend to drift in and out of contact towards, whereas even if it's been distant me and her have always stayed in touch. That said, one reason I can say it with such certainty is that I wouldn't want to live with myself knowing that I'd let her die, or worse caused her death.

I wouldn't die unconditionally for my family; I don't dislike them or anything (well, aside from my sister), but I'm not particularly close to them either. I've never understood the whole family unity thing really, I've always felt closer to the people I choose to be with, rather than those I'm around simply due to shared ancestry.

Regarding Pettigrew's choice, however, it's not really the same situation. If I recall (I can't be bothered to leaf through the books atm) he deliberately and knowingly betrayed them; as soon as he was made secret keeper he went to Voldemort and told him where the Potters were, rather than being captured and given the choice to give them up or die. While I wouldn't sell them out immediately like Pettigrew did, if brought before Voldemort and given the choice myself I'd tell him where to find the Potters. My reasoning runs like this: If I tell him, it's possible I'll be able to find some way to warn them before he can reach them, and they can escape. If I don't tell him, he kills me, the Fidelius falls and without it James and Lily's hiding place is immediately exposed and he still kills them. Even if I can't save them after I tell him where they are, I still come out of it alive, which is one wizard more than if I don't tell him.

I'll admit that's pretty cold, but I'm not a Gryffindor, and I don't go in for their pointless acts of defiance. I'll admit I would be willing to risk my life to try and warn them, and I'd definitely feel very bad if they died, but given the straight choice I'd give them up.

17. BetryedBitch

BetryedBitch Guest

No way, i wouldn't die for them, none of my friends deserve that. Wormtail is a stupid git but i can sympathise with him on the whole i never asked to be the keeper thing coz if it was me i wouldn't accept it in the first place.
    I would never betray my friends, coz i've been through that myself, i'd just tell them to fuck off i won't risk my life for sumting i don't belive in. None of my friends are worth dieing for, but I've no doubt thta if i was to chose between someone i hated but deserving of life or living i life on my knees. i'd save the basturd and take the people i was fighting down wiv me!

Tis better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

The only people I'd save are my close family. And only then if i knew they'd have i high chance of surving if i did.
    :headshot:

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2006
  18. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

There's too many variables to say much if we're comparing to Wormtail's situation. For all we know, maybe Wormtail's mother was on life support and needed his kidney. Even just for me, if I were to die, I can't know who it would affect. Say my mom is pretty depressed lately, if I were to up and die, that might be too much for her and she'd break. If my mom started dating out of the blue again (parents divorced many years ago) or found some happiness, I'd be more inclined to. With no one else depending on me, and if I found the situation warranted it, I'd gladly die to save a complete stranger. I don't fear death. I look forward to dying. I just hope it's way at the end of a long life. And if I can accomplish something with my death, especially if it means delaying death for someone who's got more riding on their life, I'll jump at the opportunity. I've had a great life so far. But if there's a child, a pregnant woman, hell even a grandfather who just lost his son but is going to have to take care of his grandkids full time, I'd give my life to save theirs if I could. Friends and family included. But I wouldn't have different rules for friends/family or strangers. Even with them. My mom, were it simply up to me, I would die for instantly. But I know what she would feel like if I chose to save her and die. That would kill her too.

But if you're asking in the moment, under the pressure? Meh... I'd like to think so, but you never know until it happens.

19. Cupspeaker

Cupspeaker Looked into the void

You have a nice life? Lucky you.

20. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    I'm not sure. It depends on the situtation, but most likely no.