1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

X-COM: Enemy Unknown

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Aekiel, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you've ever played X-COM: UFO Defence, you'll be happy to see this. For those who haven't heard of it, X-COM is a turn based tactical sci-fi game, based on the premise of defending the Earth against alien invasion in a manner similar to Fallout:Tactics, or any number of square grid turn-based games. It's also one of the most frustratingly difficult games ever created. I wouldn't be too far out in saying the original X-COM was the turn based equivalent of Dark Souls, difficulty wise.

And now it's being remade by Firaxis (the company that does the Civilisation series of games).

I may be slightly hyped about this game, especially since it comes out on the 9th/10th October.

http://www.xcom.com/enemyunknown/

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Want want want want want.

Does want. Can't has though, no money =( Looks awesome, probably will acquire it through other means, and then legit buy it first chance I get.

3. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

There's a demo available at Steam. Quite short (circa 40 minutes to finish it), only two missions, of wich one is a tutorial. Camera is a pain in the ass (you can't control it and put it when you want it - you have four pre-defined sets)

But the game looks wonderful, the art style is nice and the game is punishing you for your stupid decisions (my shotgun wielding assault trooper ate plasma bolts for charging into the room with two aliens, who were prepared - I could blast them to kingdom come with a rocket launcher or tossed a grenade in, but I wanted to kill them personally).

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  4. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

If you poke around on the 2k forums, should be able to find a link to a mod that unlocks some of the things in the demo and makes it a bit more freeform.

But yeah, already picked this up, can't wait for the 9th.

5. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

Ever since reading Hotpoints X-COM/Stargate cross I've wanted to pick up this series. Now's my chance.

6. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I have high hopes for this game but I will wait till some real reviews...
    I like the idea of dying teammates and base building so I can´t wait to see if that really works.

7. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

8. Sferics

Sferics Second Year

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-xcom-enemy-unknown/17-6601/

Giant bomb did an hour long quick look with the developers a few weeks back.

It only looks at a few missions but should definitely be able to help those on the fence about the game.

Of course the most important part happens at minute 53 in the video so if nothing else skip to that.

9. The Arid Legion

The Arid Legion Professor

Something is very wrong with this scentence.

I've already pre-ordered the game, that free copy of Civ V made for some good incentive.

I watched TotalBiscuits' WTF is of the demo, and from what I see there it looks good. That might not hold up when compared to the original, but then I've never played that so that won't really be a problem for me.

10. Dagro

Dagro DA Member

11. Midknight

Lokesin gifted me a copy, for which I am insanely grateful! Also came with the Civ 5 bonus, which I'm throwing into the Christmas pile. Thanks again!

12. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I just wanted to ask: is it any good?
    Or is it a typical SpaceBattles military science fiction masturbation fic?

13. ketz3r

ketz3r Second Year

Pretty much.

14. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

I have played UFO Alien invasion before. It is one of the copies of original x-com. I was bored with it in few hours due to very slow nature of combat is this any better? Images looks like better.

15. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

Personally, it's one of my favorite fics of any fandom. The writing is superb, the characters feel very human and, while you can say it has some of the typical SF wank to it, I hardly noticed it due to its quality and style. Definitely worth a look.

16. Midknight

So far having a lot of fun with it. Not gotten in far at all yet, but the percentages to hit see way off. I wind up missing alot with 80% chance to hit, but I snipe from across the map at 25% way more often then I should be able to. I know, it's a % so there's always a chance to hit, but I mean, it's alittle off.

17. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

Mmmm... I'm pretty sure it's because they're not 'weighing' the shot chance like other games of this style do.

I've seen games where a 40% chance shot will never hit, no matter what you do, but here it's actually worth taking if you don't have something better.

18. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

I love the shit out of this series, but one thing:

DO NOT LET THE CHRYSSALIDS GET INTO MELEE RANGE. YOUR SQUAD WILL DIE.

Seriously, chryssalids will absolutely slaughter your squad if they're in anything less than carapace armor, or better, skeleton suits. By the time you encounter them, you should have laser weapons since that's the only way to put them down quickly.

19. Ashan

Ashan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I agree on the crysalids. I lost a 6 hour ironman impossible because of them. Teach me not to focus on research... On a side note, has anyone tried the multiplayer? I've been trying to find a match but it keeps telling me to wait for the other guy to get ready. For an hour. =\.

20. Midknight

I wrecked them pretty easily with snipers. Researching laser stuff now, I'm fucking always out of money, and I've never got enough engineers for anything. Finally got my third satellite up and running, building my fourth, need 20 enginers for whatever the next facility is, I've got 11 =/

Thin Men piss me off the worst. They seem like they have a retarded large range, and then still fire and hit from half the map away. Floaters are a close second, can't stand their attacks. Chrys and Mutons ain't so bad, my snipers and heavys chew them up.