1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Jenkins, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Mechanicalchrist

Mechanicalchrist Groundskeeper

Okay, upon a second viewing, I liked it a little more. It's not quite completely terrible, but still only about X3 quality. It's not even so much a bad story or anything, it's just that so many of the characters have absolutely no reason for being in this film. Gambit? Pointless. Cyclops? Pointless. Blob? Pointless. Emma Frost? Beyond pointless what the hell.

And Deadpool... Holy fucking christ Deadpool. He was actually pretty cool in the beginning, when he was still Wade and not that Weapon XI clusterfuck they turned him into. Apparently there was some additional footage featuring him that was left out of the workprint, so that should make it a little better, but there's still no excusing this shit.

And that scene after the credits... fucking stupid. It's like someone at FOX went "hey all the other Marvel films are doing it!" and decided to throw some random shit in.

In the end what could have easily been an awesome movie about Wolverine and the Weapon X program got ruined by way too much meaningless fanservice.

2. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I already have a problem with the film: in the trailer, Gambit's eyes are blue. Canon Remy's eyes are red and black - no white and certainly not blue. That's an important part of his history and personality. He was born with a visible and unnerving mutation. Demon eyes, so to speak. It's difficult to hide and tends to make people hostile.

Practically speaking, there's no way any of the people who saw the baby didn't know immediately that Remy's a mutant. Didn't his father abandon Remy when he was just a few days old?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  3. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

Although it is a bit tedious to base an entire film around it, if that's what you're saying I do enjoy my meaningless fanservice (I do read tenjou tenghe >.>).

Seriously though does the action in the film make it worth going to see it in the cinemas or is this a save it for when bored at work film?

4. Mechanicalchrist

Well, since the workprint only had partially complete special effects(some scenes looked 100% done, whereas other you could still see wires, green screen, etc.) I can't really say for certain what the final product will look like, but the action definitely seems like a pretty mixed bag. The super-stupid climactic Deadpool fight aside, it wasn't that bad action-wise. The first half is definitely better than the second(in just about every respect).

I will say, Liev Schreiber as Victor Creed was excellent in this. And the opening credits are pretty awesome, with Logan and Victor fighting in all the major US wars of the last century.

5. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Wait a second - are they retconning this and making Logan an American? Cause if they are, I may just shoot somebody.

And does anybody know where you can find a decent download of the workprint? Most of the torrent websites I've checked aren't carrying it.

6. Mechanicalchrist

No he's Canadian, but him and Victor apparently run away to America as kids. And just about every major torrent website carries it.

7. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    I hate the fact that they made Wade Wilson/Deadpool into some kind of Weapon XI deus ex machina with every captured mutant's power. He had Logan's healing, adamantium swords coming outta his arms, Cyclops's optic vision, Wraith's teleporting....need I go on? Too much.

To be frank, I don't even think Deadpool was in this movie. There was Wade Wilson, who with Ryan Reynolds playing him comes off as kind of a douche and not really funny funny. Then they bring him back later bald and with his mouth sown shut and it's all a big mass of scar tissue.

Fridge logic: How will Weapon XI eat without an open mouth?

The Wolverine/Sabretooth interaction was actually quite good, and Liev Schrieber as 'Tooth is on point.

Although I don't get how shooting Wolverine with an adamantium bullet when his entire skeletal structure is plated with adamantium would cause memory loss or any real damage at all.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  8. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I thought he said that it would scramble his brain. The brain would grow back, but the memories wouldn't...

At any rate, this was a great popcorn flick and a pretty enjoyable watch--as long as you don't get caught up in the discarded canonical stuff from the comics.

9. Viper

Viper Fourth Year

What. The. Fuck. Is wrong with these dickheads?

Fuck Deadpool. I don't care about him. But Gambit? They just killed him. I mean all that guy does is use his stick to fuck up things. No throwing cards which blow up? How do you have a Gambit who doesn't throw exploding cards?

10. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

:confused:

Did we watch the same movie?

11. Mechanicalchrist

I think the main problem is how would an adamantium bullet even pierce an adamantium skull? It would just bounce off like any other bullet, except it wouldn't lose its shape.
    Another thing: why didn't they just give the adamantium bullets to the guy whose power is being really good at shooting shit?

12. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I was disappointed in this movie. Rushed as fuck.

13. Zarent

Zarent Seventh Year

I think the reasoning that the movie is trying to push onto you is that Adamantium can only be pierced by Adamantium, similar to the way that the stuff we use to shape and cut diamonds are other diamonds.

Not a big deal anyway, just roll with it. I liked most of the movie except the return of Deadpool. That made me more sad than angry, because I knew it was coming, just didn't want it to. -_-

14. Rhapsody Belle

Rhapsody Belle Sixth Year

You and I did. Don't know about that other guy though.

15. Boo

Boo Auror

How did you guys watch the movie? Its not out yet.

EDIT
    Never mind
    You have to laugh at Roger Friedman.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  16. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I bet you more then anything some fan saw how fucked up the movie was and wanted to sabatoge it.

Just like goddamned Terminator Salvation, where the original ending was to have John Connor replaced by a terminator frame with his brain and skin on it. Would of killed the future movies. That got leaked, they screamed that it wasn't the ending, and then proceeded to do 4 months of reshooting.

17. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

I haven't watched the workprint so I don't know if they specifically mention that Deadpool becomes Weapon XI. They're thinking of doing two spinoffs with Deadpool and Gambit. I don't know if they'll retcon it or whatever, but if enough people rage hard enough, the Deadpool movie might get the proper job it should of had in this one.

Hoping in one hand kind of applies here most likely though.

They could always pull the Deadpool-Agent X thing. That would appease my nerd rage slightly.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  18. Rhapsody Belle

Rhapsody Belle Sixth Year

The line is, and I quote: "Wade? Is that you?"

19. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Makes me angry.

Wolverine DIDN'T have bone claws. The adamantium claws were added when his skeleton was coated.

Too many other terrible things to mention.

Angry.

20. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

WTF? Wolverine did have bone claws before he was inducted into the Weapon Plus program.