1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

X-Men - The First Class Trailer

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by nath1607, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Don't think I'll see this. I'm quite tired of the prequel/re-boot craze.

2. Andy

Andy First Year

To be honest I would have rather they made the X Men Origins: Magneto they were considering making a few years ago than this.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

In some ways I agree but in others not so much. I don't want to go into a lot of detail on other movies/books/shows/whatever to find examples, but for me the difference is that the original X-men movies, from what I can remember, never took place at the start of anything. You come in when the status quo is already established -- I.e. the school exists and is operational with staff and students, the world has already formed an opinion of mutants, and the abilities of the primary good and bad guys are more or less established to those in the know.

Most stories don't start in the middle like that. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but unlike Star Wars (where the original trilogy was its own story and the prequels told a completely different one that simply related to the other) this movie appears to be telling the start of the X-men story.

Maybe I'm blowing smoke out my arse about there being a difference in the two, but in my mind at least that's what makes this such an interesting concept. I'm more interested in the story of the two young mutant prodigies who are discovering their powers, that humanity is evolving, and set out to shape the future than I am in the rest.

...but yeah a lot of the prequel/reboot stuff is getting old.

4. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Pretty much this. It is depressing that so many films at the moment seem to be prequels or reboots, but at least this one is telling a story that hasn't been (completely) seen on screen before. There does actually appear to be a point to it beyond money spinning.

5. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Question: is the chick with the wings Wasp from the Avengers?

6. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

No. Her name is Angel Salvadore. In comics beside flying she had an amazing power to vomit an acidic substance that she used to digest food prior to consumption (she's now powerless). Wonder if we will see it in the movie. ;)

7. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

.... Well, I guess we can't have all mutations be totally kickass... :facepalm

8. Portus

Portus Heir

I hadn't really given a damn about this until I saw these trailers.

I am now fucking stoked.

9. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Huh. I'd assumed it was going to be Pixie.

Wonder if we'll get to see Angel's insect/bird/human babies?

10. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Bump.

Saw this yesterday, and I enjoyed it. There's a lot of good stuff, but arguably too much - by the end of the film it definitely feels like they're rushing to cram everything in the running time, and inevitably some secondary characters/scenes suffer for it.

That said, the core of the film - the friendship between Charles and Erik - is nicely done, the plot is decent and allows for a whole host of cool action, and the 60's setting looks brilliant. Not as good as the first two, but better than the third by some distance and craps all over Wolverine.

Also, it has the best cameo of any film from the Marvel-verse :awesome

11. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Who is it?

12. Shinysavage

High Score:
    There's a montage of Charles and Erik recruiting mutants.

When Charles uses Cerebro for the first time, there's a shot of a young black girl with white hair, but that's not the important one.
    They walk into a bar. Camera tracks back to reveal Hugh Jackman.
    "Hello, my name is Charles Xavier-"
    "Go fuck yourself."
    They turn around without breaking stride, and Logan orders another drink.

13. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

That bit was awesome.

The friendship between Charles and Erik is awesome, not exactly forced, but considering how long it was since they met and the end of the film, it was well done.

The thing I liked, which I hadn't seen in any comics/episodes as a child, so it must be invented for the film:

Mystique tried to rob the mansion when Charles was about ten, and she was a little bit younger, I'd assume, and took her in, so she grew up being Charles little sister, kind of thing, and at the end she went to Charles before leaving with Erik when she clearly wanted to, and Charles gave her permission to join him, I thought it was well done, as honestly when I saw how they did their relationship, all the way through the film I was waiting for a fight between the two so that she rushed off and offered to join Erik.

The scene where Charles became crippled was well done, too.

14. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Another great movie adaptation of comics this year. Loved 60-ties setting and a whole Bond-esque it had.

A friendship between Charles and Erik was done believable, even if they know each other for a short period of time. Mutant kids had their moments to shine too (especially when they got to know each other at the CIA base).

This movie had also probably the best cameo ever in comics adaptations.

Maybe it's just me, but this was the only thing that didn't sit well with me in this movie. Leaving your "brother" who was just shot for a guy you met two weeks ago is a little weird to me. Their relationship was also only thing that doesn't work too well with X1 & X2, if we consider this movie as a prequel to them (I ignore X3 and Wolverine, because it's clear that Singer did the same).

15. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

I didn't really think about that while writing to be honest, but I get your point, but if I remember right,

Charles and her never had interaction in those movies, did they? I might be wrong...

16. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

I haven't seen the film, though I might considering the good things I'm hearing about it. Regardless, I must say that Colossus' bit in X2 was fantastic. When he says to Wolverine "I can help you," I almost wanted to scream at the screen "go with him!".

Must be a good cameo to top that.

17. Portus

Portus Heir

Yeah, Colossus was a definite high-point for X2. Colossus was always a favorite of mine reading the comics, and the actor looked the part, which was a plus.

Alas, VotN, you are not allowed to go see this movie, unless and until you've finished* The Unforgiving Minute. I'm sorry, but that's my last word on the matter.

*this assumes the next chapter will be the last. If that is incorrect, we here at DLP will allow you to move away from your word processor for a short amount of time once the next chapter is posted.

18. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Saw it, and enjoyed it, despite the fact that it caused enough nerd rage to dwarf the sun. Lots of continuity issues, both with the other movies and with the comics. But it was an overall good movie, better then X3 to say the least.

But seriously, Riptide? I'm a nerd, and I had to go look up who Riptide was in the first place. Couldn't they have come up with anyone better?

19. Kari Black

Kari Black DA Member

I loved it. Didn't really match up with the other movies in many aspects (forget the comics, it never matches with those), but it was just plain enjoyable and that counts for a hell of a lot. Quite a few funny moments (the Wolverine cameo was the shit), lots of cool action, and I really liked the way the portrayed Magneto and Professor X. Some of the others could have been fleshed out more, but time limits and all that. They did get quite a bit of Mystique and Beast in there. I really liked the way they did Beast as well. Mystique...I'm kind of on the fence about. It's kind of a cool idea having them meet like that, but I don't think it really worked that well. Especially at the end. The way they reacted to each other didn't feel like the sibling-like relationship they supposedly had. Maybe it was just me...I dunno. But overall, it was awesome.

20. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fuck yes, this shit looks awesome.

So totally want to see this. In a cinema.