1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Xbox One v Playstation 4

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Relic, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    People are still arguing with Lord Raine?

Lol.

2. Relic

Relic High Inquisitor

So, not sure if anyone cares but the initial discussion was actually pretty useful to me (and my roommates) as we know fuck-all about gaming aside from our initial research on the consoles. I understand the advantages of PC gaming but the major downside (for us) is that it's not a social device which is what we're looking for. We want something in our living room hooked up to our TV that someone can just turn on and play with 2-3 others - not something that we do on our own.

To that end after more research we have decided on the Wii U which not only has the advantage of being cheaper and more available but more suited to our needs. The games, to us, are the most social of the lot and I think it is overall geared to the less "hardcore" gamers with more approachable games.

The Mario game that we played in Target was epic, though, and I am extremely excited about other games such as Mario Kart, Mario Party, and Super Smash Bros some of which are yet to come out.

Sorry to cause all this and then go a complete other direction but this helped a lot, thanks!

3. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Oof. I'm sorry. We probably should have informed you of why the WiiU is a bad idea. :(

I hope you like Nintendo games, because after the PS4/Bone get settled, that's all the WiiU will get. Hell, third parties might not put software on it now, just because the numbers are so low.

4. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you wanted epic couch coop fun, look no further than samurai gunn.

Only on ps3,ps4 and vita!

/takes cheque discreetly

5. The Great Pandemonium

The Great Pandemonium Fourth Year

For his needs I think Relic made the right choice with the Wii U. From what I've heard PS4 and Xbone don't have much in the way of splitscreen, with most games that have it maxing out at 2. Plus games like Super Smash and Mario Cart are the best couch coop games around.

6. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

The PS4 and XB1 have no games, while the WiiU has a few out, plus a few coming that I could see buying it for... but yeah, even the WiiU doesn't have that many "couch party titles" which is probably why it's failing. But the XB1/PS4 I think will be worse for this purpose for quite a while, as I haven't seen a game that fits that criteria coming down the pipe for either. WiiU at least has kart, NSMB, new smash, and some others.

7. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Nintendo does tend to make great couch co-op games, yeah. Not going to deny that.

The problem is the WiiU is completely fucked in terms of software beyond what Nintendo themselves throw up.

8. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, Solomon, you have a good point. But the WiiU will still get some other games that are playable. The selection won't be as awesome as the other consoles, but for Relics purposes I think it'll be just fine.

9. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I grew up on the SNES/N64 and those consoles were amazing 'have friends over and play the shit out of games' set-ups. The GC too was pretty darn good. The Wii? Not so much in my experience, but maybe others experienced it differently.

The WiiU doesn't even have a tenth of N64's party game library. I've tested a few games like the latest WarioWare - wow. I was blown away by how lame it was. Probably the lamest Nintendo release I've ever seen. And the only party games I'm interested from Nintendo are Smash/Kart. Pikmin and W101 look fun SP games, but they don't really qualify.

And on the XB1 or PS4? I can't even recall a PS3 game that was particuarly fun to play with people on a couch. It doesn't seem like those kinds of games are abundant at all anymore, or at least, they've shifted that design to games like Just Dance and other casual games. But back during the N64 days, a lot of games came with odd, but fun multiplayer modes that were great on split screen.

10. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Well, here's why I'm saying the WiiU will get (nearly) no third party games once the other consoles are nice and established between 12-18 months from now.

1) The WiiU is not as powerful as either system. So, when third parties spend time and money developing games with either of the other consoles as the lead platform, they have to decide whether it's worth it to down-port to the WiiU.

2) The WiiU is tanking harder than the Vita was/is. So third parties, when they make the decision to port to the WiiU, with its inferior hardware and weird-ass tablet controller that they have to come up with some design for (even if it's just throwing a map there, as tends to happen), have to do so with the foreknowledge that their games won't sell worth shit there.

The WiiU will not get games from third parties unless Nintendo funds it entirely (as happened with the Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2.) That's pretty much all there is to it.

It will probably suit his purposes if he wants to do a lot of couch co-op, but if he wants to do any online gaming or wants to play a reasonable amount of software from people that don't work for Nintendo, he done fucked up.

If nothing else, this should serve as a warning for anyone else looking into these systems.

11. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Don't forget to go into the WiiU Virtual Console / WiiWare titles, you'll find lots of older games that are also great for what you want (I'm not familiar with the WiiUware titles, but probably there are games here too - you'll have to look into this one yourself =p).

There are Wii games that would also interest you, Kirby's Return to Dreamland is great, Wii Sports Resort, Mario Strikers Charged and Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz are also potentially of interest to you.

---------- Post automerged at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Yeah how dare he buy a console that fills his stated need. Definitely nobody should do that.

12. Solomon

Solomon Heir

With that (necessary, I think) downer nonsense out of the way, definitely look into any Wii games you missed on on, Relic. I strongly recommend both Mario Galaxy games, Muramasa, and Xenoblade Chronicles from personal experience.

I've also heard pretty good things about No More Heroes and The Last Story. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot (no I'm not forgetting Zelda, the Wii Zeldas weren't great), the Wii's library wasn't that bad.

EDIT:
    ...Christ. I'm happy it serves his current needs. That's great.

The problem is, the system is still very expensive and has a limited life due to a few factors. I'm trying to explain that, so if other people reading the thread - or hell, Relic himself - want some more information about the system in case they want to do more than play five fucking couch co-op games and like 5-10 Nintendo first/second party games.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  13. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Bit of an update.

Sony Reveals it's Game Streaming Service, Playstation Now

Play PS, PS2, PS3 games on your PS4 and other Sony devices like the Vita or Sony Bravia HD TV's.

Eventually, Sony intends to take Playstation Now to other, 3rd party internet-connected devices.

Looks like Sony just threw a huge Right Hook in this battle of giants. What remains to be seen is if it will land the way they want it to.

14. Gengar

High Score:
    This isn't just old school games like crash either. Peeps were playing the Last of Us and Beyond two souls from internet capable bravia TVs with Bluetooth connected DS3s at CES today.

Unfortunately, this is tech that's very much limited by the world's internet infrastructure. Most won't be able to use this feature unless Sony builds us a new internet

15. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Son of a bitch, I just bought a PS3 to take advantage of the low price console (And every game is under 20 dollars, too).

And now this. D:

I almost hope it's not as good as it looks, just so I don't have to feel bad.

16. Gengar

High Score:
    A: It's not a free service

B: they forecast beta testing in US summer

C: the ps3 has a massive library of fantastic games that won't initially be supported by this service.

D: (most importantly) this is ground breaking tech. Do not expect a smooth start.

17. Solomon

Solomon Heir

It will totally function on the PS3, so you won't actually be missing anything?

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This has awesome potential. Well done, Sony.

19. Gengar

High Score:
    Oh wow, they estimate you only need 5mb/s internet for a 'good' experience.

20. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It's not ground breaking really, what was that other game streaming server that collapsed despite doing amazing at first Online or something wasn't it? Sony just has the bank to see it through it's initial shitfest hurdles.