1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Yin and Yang by IP82 - M

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by ip82, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Lucas13

Lucas13 Second Year

hum... you DO realise that if it was Harry you just ruined a part of his plot? since most people havent throught of that yet... And about the cliches: there are so many fics now that we cant look at what is done in the plots but in How it is done... So even if it was something overdone it still wouldnt be boring to read...

2. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, so far so fantastic. Excellent twist on the standard Dumbles conspiracy, and the Mengele bit was a nice touch of twisted reality. I don't think you'll find any detractors around here - the story fired full on all cylinders (that phrase may be completely misquoted). But the important thing is that we finally have a new great story that everyone will try (and fail) to copy in their own post-HBP fics. I'm not really sure what I think about that yet.

But clearly it is: 5/5

-J

3. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Fuck you. I wrote a much longer thing, but it accidentally was deleted.

I have no inside track here, and I hope (and believe) IP's a better writer than it can be solved in the first chapter. There is nothing wrong with critical thinking, you moron.

Should people stop analyzing "Lost" or Harry Potter fans stop interpreting every HInt that JK drops? Why is it my obligation to protect his work if he makes it so blatantly obvious (hopefully I'm wrong, IP).

Honestly, it was the first thing I thought when someone knew so intimately about the Ying Yang thing, and that was very early on. If he wanted to keep it a secret, then he made it too obvious between that and the time-turner and it deserved to be revealed.

Fuck you.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

1) He needed some time to figure out what to do.
    2) He was in shock.
    3) He lost track of time.
    4) The advanced guard came in early.

He had, that's where he went after he left the Hogwarts wards. I obviously skipped these parts because I didn't want to write another training fic (I already have one).

Yeah they will. But they don't have all the information Harry has, as well as Dumbledore's books on Horcruxes and his journal...

Since this recieved rather good feedback, I'm working on it right now, instead on PR (in which the Ministry building got me pissed off).

If 2nd year Harry had spent some time in the Chamber looking around, instead of immedietely running after the slut like an idiot and getting his arse kicked, he would have noticed it too.

Yes, I can definitelly confirm that. So, no need to claw each others eyes out arguing about it... :)

5. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

Damn. Well, my first guess was wrong :). My second or third may be more lucky though, I'll just have to wait and see.

Anyway, it seems that it's all well thought out. Good luck with completing it and satisfying the countless people waiting for an update .

6. Kiklo

Kiklo Seventh Year

Good it's not Harry then, I was afraid it would be him. I need more clues, which means I'll just have to wait for the next update.

7. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

EDIT: Sorry, I responded to kiklo's post, but she edited her post already... woopsies..

8. Lucas13

Lucas13 Second Year

eh... no need to get nervous kid. only the first part of what I said was directed to you so try to cool down a little bit.
    :cool:
    Anyway... Its great youre working on this fic again IP!

9. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Actually, no, it wouldn't have made sense.

If Harry truly travelled back in time and then altered the timeline by sending all the letters and stuff, then he would have canceled the future he came from. Or look at it this way: If him travelling back in time had created the sequence of events leading to his time-travel, then who had started the cycle in the first place? Thus, the cause becomes the effect, which is cause, which is effect etc...

That's a school example of a time paradox. I'm not using shit like that in my writting.

10. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Err... I wouldn't say it's a paradox. Just a cheap easy way to be able to accomplish anything you want. A paradox would be killing your father before you're ever born (causing time to implode or what have you). But if when you were 4 you saw a man who looked like your father kill your real father, and then grew up and realized you had to go back in time because you're the one who killed your father. That's more like what people are talking about. The idea of a fixed sequence of events, just not entirely chronological as they relate to each other (but chronological in their own right).

Although to be honest, I wouldn't have cared if it was Harry from the past simply because I would expect IP to have done something interesting with it. Cliches or not, IP's intelligent enough (and complained about other cliches enough) to recognize the "cliched" ideas in his fic, and he'll have a good reason for using them or a different take on them.

11. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

True, but if you never saw your father getting murdered, then you wouldn't have the reason to travel back in time to murder him in the first place. Thus, mixing up the cause and the effect.

That's actually a time-loop, an illogical occurance that cannot happen even in theory. Your other example is another common time paradox, but this could be classified there as well.

12. Kiklo

Kiklo Seventh Year

I see what you mean now Ip. So it's not Harry, who else knows about the Chamber of Secrets...I can only think of Voldemort. Since he is the only other Parseltongue I can think of who is alive, and he probably knows the Chamber inside out. But he wouldn't help Harry. I'm guessing it's a new character we havn't been introduced to.

13. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Err... yes it's true cause and effect end up blurring and overlapping as to which is cause and which is effect. But this is the method we've seen in canon.

I.e. Harry knew he had to hurry and cast the patronus because he'd seen himself do it. In fact that was the main reason he was able to if I recall correctly. Since he knew he could and had done it, he was able to power it so much stronger than he ever had before. That certainty of knowledge that he would succeed and already had. And in the movie at least, the rock busted the cookie jar suddenly, because their future selves had thrown it right then. Indicating a fixed fate, sequence of events, and nothing changed due to their time travel as it had already happened, i.e., nothing can 'alter' the timeline. It makes time travel as JKR introduced it a sort of Deus Ex Machina for any potential situation. But like in PoA (or taliath's Young Again, Ross's PoT, draco664's Journeyman Potter) it can still make for a fun and interesting sequence.

But this has nothing to do with your fic. Yet at least. We shall see what sort of use the time turner may be.

14. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Actually, that's not a paradox.

It's true that time travelling Harry had helped out his younger self, but he did it unwittingly. He hadn't traveled in past in order to help himself; he travelled attempting to save Sirius.

What we were discussing here was mixing cause and effect - Harry travelling to the past in order to murder his father and wanting to murder his father because he knows he had travelled in the past.

That scene from POA was nothing like it; Harry had no clue who was the wizard who had helped him. The reason he'd travelled in the past had nothing to do with the results of his other self's actions.

If he'd KNOWN it was himself who had helped him out and decided to time-travel because of that fact, that would have been an entirely different thing. But like this, he had not created a time paradox.

15. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Any clue when we could expect an update?

16. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Dunno, I've written 4K of the next chapter, which is about 1/3 of the plot planned. We'll see.

17. SushiZ

SushiZ Auror

Excellent, great story IP, keep up the good work.

18. Muttering Condolences

Muttering Condolences Card Captored and buttsecksed

How obvious is the identity of Ying Yang? Will we all be smacking our selves in the heads saying " God I'm an idiot."? Or will this person be a totally out of the blue character, like Hestia Jones or Mundungus?

19. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Well, that'll depend on how well I pull the final few twists, right?

20. Lucas13

Lucas13 Second Year

Maybe Dumbledore that turned into a Zombie just to torment Harry? Or maybe hes not dead at all and the guy who died was Dumbledore´s evil twin that had one of his hand burned by Norbert? :p or Maybe it could be Luna because no one really understand her... and shes crazy enought to do something like that...