1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Yin and Yang by IP82 - M

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by ip82, Aug 5, 2006.

1. MoPhire

MoPhire First Year DLP Supporter

If it is him, maybe by using Harry's blood in his ressurection, the spells effect were somewhat transfered to him. Seems unlikely though considering who the author of the fic is.

My $0.02

2. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Hmm, my first though was that Harry is sending messages to himself. That got shot down.

My second thought was that Minerva was being posessed by Dumbledore. Or carrying his spirit, channeling his spirit, call it what you will. That didn't get shot down, but still possible.

Hmm, so if Harry's mind is affected by certain code-words, could he in theory, if he found out the code words, cast a permanent selective deafness charm on himself? Seems like an easy way out... if he knew the words.

3. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

That's why there are multiple code words. Even if he blocked one phrase, he could never be sure that there aren't another one that could get him.

4. Zield

Zield Fourth Year

But since he has the letter that the Order was supposed to read in order to know the answers to the questions so that they could learn the codewords or actually learn of the brainwashing and existence of the code words, they shouldn't really be a problem to him. I guess the people who know the code words could still use them against him but the way the letter was worded just made it sound to me as if they were people that the Order members do not normally come in contact with, which in my mind makes them seem as people who are not vital to the war in really anyway, and by extension are not likely to come in contact with Harry. Of course this is probably very wrong, but it remains that the rest of the Order will not learn of the code words and only the select few will be dangerous.

5. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

I keep thinking of one thing... If I learned that somebody (anybody) has cultivated me to be controlled by a spoken phrase, I won't try to find what it is, I'll flip out. Like, kill anything in my path flip-out. Depopulate Europe and parts of Asia and Africa, permanently. Control me, will they...

6. Dark Lord Shabranigdo

Dark Lord Shabranigdo Fourth Year

Whew! It's unusual to see so many positive reviews! Ordinarily, we either say , "Okay, what next?" or we bash it to hell and back. Methinks I'll have to read this story.

7. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

You didn't expect the responses to be this positive? Well, shame on you, then! :p It's further proof the IP doesn't do things by half. If he keeps it up like that we'll come to expect excellency from him...

8. LillyMagic

LillyMagic Guest

Wow I really loved your story. It's very well written, please post the next chapter as soon as you can! :)

9. carnivalofcarnage

carnivalofcarnage Second Year

I think that to some extent the positive reviews stem from respect for the author. His other story is one of the most original fanfics written and therefore people will trust him to make this story good as well.

He has a point though, the only other story that has had this many positive reviews after only a single chapter has to be Sistat inter bitu pe marvos (also by a well respected author). Usually a one chapter fic will recieve things such as "it's too early to pass judgement" or something similar.

That being said this is a promising start. Decent length chapter, great writing style and enough of the plot is shown to interest a reader.

10. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Abso-fucking-lutly spectacular! i want more! im hoping that your able to get some of the chapters out faster then that of your other story IP. Excellent idea's and i enjoy where it seems to be going...my opinion would be work this one untill the german version of breaking ties catchs up with the current english.

11. Hadoren

Hadoren High Inquisitor

Unlike everybody else here, I don't like the story.

First, Harry seems to be way too angry. I know it's rational, but it's just not my preferred fanfiction. I'd rather have him plotting than in a rage-it makes him seem like a child. In addition, after he did the ritual increasing his intellect, Harry should have a much finer grasp on his temper. But it doesn't seem that he has any more control over his emotions than before.

Second, Dumbledore's actions don't make that much sense. I think it's nearly impossible to write a Manipulative!Dumbledore after HBP. Basically speaking, he seems like a mean person in this story. But kings on a chessboard don't sacrifice themselves for their pawns, which is what Dumbledore has done.

Third, Harry doesn't seem that smart after his ritual. I have several suggestions:

But to give him more time, Petrificas Totalas, was directed at the portraits.

Avada Kedavra, he yelled at McGonagall's stunned body, pouring all his hatred on Dumbledore's machinations in the words. A great enemy of mine dead, he savagely thought on seeing her body. Next, the Incendio spell was sent to the portrait of Dumbledore and all the other portraits. No need to tell anybody else the secret words or for anybody to know about his escape.

So now Harry has complete control over the Headmaster's office of Hogwarts for several minutes. Just imagine what he can do with the Headmistress dead and the portraits paralyzed. He can sack the place by taking all those instruments Dumbledore had-they probably have great uses. And if Harry really wants to cause panic, he can set the Dark Mark up there.

12. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Intelligence and temper are two completely unrelated things.

As for rage, who wouldn't be enraged after discovering what Harry had uncovered (mind control)?

Don't worry about his temper, we should see one whole lot different Harry in the second chapter (11K for now, BTW).

Who said Dumbledore had sacrificed himself for his pawns? That's your own vision of the events from HBP; not neccesserily the only one, or the 'right' one.

He hasn't exactly tried to study or memorize anything. I don't know what you imagine geniuses are like, but I'm pretty sure brilliant people are just that - people, not perfect calculating machines without personality.

That would have only slowed their arrival for a minute or two. I haven't mentioned that, but portrait characters have all run away the moment Harry stunned McGonagall. I might fix that later on.

Even after all betrayals, I don't see post-HBP Harry killing anyone but Voldemort and maybe Death Eaters; Hell, he wasn't even sure McGonagall was in on it.

Maybe if he had several days to think things through with cold head. His world had literally crumbled in only 3 days. Leaving Dumbledore's portrait behind was thoughtless on his part, but he WAS under a lot of pressure. With aurors on their way, he had bigger concerns on his mind then to worry about obviously malfunctioning portrait.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  13. Dondada

Dondada Squib

This was quite a while ago. Sorry if it seems like pestering.But how is the second chapter coming along?

14. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I haven't written anything in weeks, RL problems. Should clear up my schedule a bit starting next week.

15. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I just realised I havnt posted here. Hrmm.

It's as good as it can be, using so many cliches. You've found a way to make it so they dont piss me off somehow, and I enjoyed reading the first chapter. I'd like to see more.

16. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was just re-reading this today and an idea hit me.

If Harry were to go away for a couple of years (training ect.) and in that time learn a different language (for example, French), and then cast a spell on himself such that he is deaf to all English spoken in his presence, then would that mean that he is invunrable to the trigger words?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  17. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Teoretically, if such spell existed AND if he'd be sure that Dumbledore had used English and not, for example, latin. Of course, not hearing English would have made living in modern world rather difficult for Harry...

18. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Would a code word in a different language work?

Create a spell to translate all languages spoken in his present to say, French. Then back.

19. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

Fuck it. People who are deaf get by just fine. Grab an icepick and end Dumblemort's machinations permanently.

20. Hadoren

Hadoren High Inquisitor

What if Harry puts a spell for deafness on himself whenever he sees somebody Dumbledore would trust? He should learn to read lips to find out what they're saying. If he hears the words in his mind (by repeating them in his head), would the words affect him?