1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Young Again: The Rewrite by Taliath - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by nonjon, Apr 25, 2006.

1. liath

liath Seventh Year

Yeah, it was *so* locked up, that Death Eaters swarmed the school and managed to kill Dumbles.

lol...

No. I know it was Malfoy who let them in through the cabinet, don't worry. Anyway, I do have a Pettigrew POV planned for the next chapter, so just calm down a little. I do tend to explain things, you know... ^^.... Some would say I over-explain things.

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  2. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

Great story. But where does Harry stand in terms of Light and Dark?

3. liath

liath Seventh Year

I plan to keep Harry undeclared. Neither Light nor Dark. And thus he'll have the advantage of knowing both, though he won't the finer details of either. So, there are advantages and disadvantages... which is true of everything in real life.

I'll go more into detail for this, too. After all, not every spell is branded Light or Dark, and the terms of which are not exactly defined. It's very complicated, but I hope I can convey it well....

Last edited: May 10, 2006
  4. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

I was hoping you would say that. Excellent

5. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Undeclared? Hmm... I remembered this line:

That made me think Harry was going to be "Light". And as much as I like this division between light and dark, I cannot imagine people asking for and talking to "Dark" for guidance. Which makes me wonder how/what they'll do or if it's ever shown/addressed.

6. liath

liath Seventh Year

Of course, Dark wizards don't ask the "Dark" for guidance. There exists a fundamental difference between how light wizards see the Light, and how dark wizzies see their Dark. And besides, I know Christians sometimes say "Christ!" or "Lord help me!" but that doesn't mean the average, atheist, non-Christian doesn't say "God" or "Holy ***". Even Hagrid says "Gawd" sometimes as an expletive (sp?) in cannon--and I do think Hagrid isn't a Christian.

In any case, Harry has been around Minerva and Light wizzies more than he has with the others. Also, most of his adult companions are Lighters. Thus, it's only natural that he pick up on some of their language. This time around, though... who knows who he'll hang out with?

Although the war between Voldie and Dumbles began because of the issue concerning Muggles and Mudbloods--in the future, it practically splits the whole wizarding world into two factions: the Dark and the Light, with the Undeclared mostly siding with the Light. In the end, before Minny and Harry go back, the war becomes something like that of ancient battles between Light and Dark, no longer centered around the issue of muggles.

In any case, Harry will stay undeclared, like many of his generation and his parent's generation. Of course, Lily has declared, as you've probably noticed. James is more partial to the Light. Remus has declared for the Light, though this is mostly because of his werewolf nature. He wants it to be clear to everyone that he is not the Dark creature that is steriotypically assigned to people like him. But Sirius is undeclared.

So, there you have it. I promise to go into more detail. Really, I do and will.

And yes, Dark wizzies will be shown through their point of view. It'd rather be prejudice for me not to.

7. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

The power of Grey will set you free! I actually hate it when they call people 'Grey Wizards'. Urgh...

8. liath

liath Seventh Year

lol, yeah. I hate the term "Grey", especially when authors capitalize it. The Grey wizard. The Grey Lord. I'm sorry, but it just irks me!

Anywho, just wanted give you guys a heads up that the fifth chapter, "And There Was Laughter", has been updated. (Yeah, I changed the title from "The Boy Who Lived"--things happened that weren't supposed to, and now that chapter will be the one after this one, the sixth chapter)

~liath

9. nonjon

Egads. Chapters like this latest one, liath, are exactly why I love your writing so much.

This was a fantastic chapter. So many brilliant ideas and descriptions for little details barely any one else adds in.

And you've simply built up so much tension here. I'm giddy for more. Don't make us wait too long.

10. liath

liath Seventh Year

Thanks... :)... I only hope the next part works out half as well as I hope. It's going to be a little complex and difficult to write, and I really hope people don't get too confused by it.

I do have a serious question to ask: what do you guys think about the many POV's? I just had a reviewer say that he didn't like it. That there were too many scene changes. That it was confusing. That the scenes were so different from one to the next that it was unstable.

The reviewer continued by saying that he liked the fact that he knew what everyone was thinking, but that the scenes were just becoming too much. What say you? I'm actually quite curious. If you've read some of my other fics, you'd know that this is the first time I'm utilizing a writing-style like this.

I'm quite curious as to what you people think. Any comments on this?

Thanks!

11. nonjon

I think the POV changes are almost necessary to keep up the sort of speed and frenetic pace of the action and events unfolding here. I suppose there are moments where it takes me a moment to figure out who is thinking the italics thoughts, and then with also, the mutespeak too. Nothing jarring for me, nor do I see any clean way to improve on it. (And I'm never a big fan of those beginning notes say things like "SS--SS" or //" "// indicate pheonix talking, or parseltongue, or mindspeech, etc... Those feel like bad lazy writing to some part of me. The other part of me doesn't care, is lazy, and sympathizes.)

So I guess I'm saying, yes I noticed them, and they happen so frequently I do have to sometimes double-check and re-read. But they don't bother me at all, rarely does it knock-me-out of the mindset in the fic. I rewind movies and tv all the time to hear lines again, it's just a way to quickly comprehend. Same with the occasional moment in your fic. Nothing that I would be hoping or preferring to see altered.

12. CGB

CGB Auror

I liked the new chapter. It really builds tension. I hope we won't wait for long. The POV changes are OK for me. I think the changes from Harry to Minerva are necessary and if you don't add too many other persons, it's not too confusing. Just don't exaggerate.

13. liath

liath Seventh Year

Hmm... what do you mean "exaggerate?" I didn't understand that last part, sorry...

14. CGB

CGB Auror

I meant, it's OK if you don't have the POV of too many people. For example if you incorporate the POV of Harry, Minerva, Snape, Dumbledore and 5 other people, it's too much.

15. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

I hope Poppy isn't dead... that was rather vague... excellent chapter, I can't wait for more!!

16. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

NOt much happened. I guess a lot of this chapter was just advancing the plot. ANyway, good stuff. Update soon!!! ;-D

17. Teal_Thanatos

Teal_Thanatos First Year

*gives Liath candy* yay for story :D

18. LouieTopp

LouieTopp Muggle

i really like this story. i just came back to reading fanfiction again, after a leave of about a year and a half. I find myself wondering why i left when i find stories like this. I hope Harry starts growin though, baby potter is cool but im not sure for how much longer. Ill be waiting for the next update.
    ~ later

19. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

(ch6 - Those Burning Bones)
    Holy shit, what a great chapter!

Just when you had me think that your Dumbledore is an overconfident old fool, you pull something like that. And then that great ritual scene and carnage and re-aging Harry to his "proper" age... Brilliant, truly brilliant.

You don't even have to kill off Voldemort now that you have proper Harry to put up a fight against him. I'm just wondering were you always planning to do this aging thing, or is it a change from your previous outline?

Oh, and there was one peevie: "Sorcerer's Stone"... That's just stupid "redneck-friendly" phrase, that means absolutely nothing. Proper name, as JKR pulled it out from Greek mythology (I think), should be "Philosopher's Stone".

20. CGB

CGB Auror

I liked the new chapter. It was a great idea to age Harry to his 18 year old self. Now he can fight Voldemort without him disappear a few years for Harry to grow up. The next chapter will be great I think. Finally a fighting scene!