1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Your FF.net author URL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter North, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

DLP 5-Starred and Featured Authors - C2

I'm on ffnet as CheddarTrek, but not linking to my favorites list because... frankly, my favorites list is full of crap. I don't use it for stories I liked, I used it to keep track of which ones I've read, regardless of whether or not they were worth reading. Quite a few in there are 1/5 stories.

The C2 I linked above is your best bet for finding quality fanfiction you haven't read yet. If you exhaust that then going through favorites list is a second option.

2. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Search me by the same name if you want. I've got some 300-odd stories in my community, but I'll freely admit, as with others, that many of them are subpar and only added during a particular hike in interest in something or other. That being said, on a whim, I was browsing through it a few days ago, and am re-reading several of the stories that I particularly enjoyed.

3. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

It's interesting to see how diffrent people use their favourite lists, and how everyone's gotta make excuses for their taste before posting it.

4. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

5. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Not so much excuses, as an admittance that the aforementioned community has been contributed to over the course of a decade or so, with almost nothing being removed, long after refinement has occurred over time. Taste, as it were, changes over time due to a variety of factors, but I haven't bothered to remove stories which may not have kept in line.

Some things that may have been enjoyed in the past, would likely not be added to the list now, for one reason or another(not the least of which because I'm more often to simply hit 'follow', nowadays, if something interests me), but I don't particularly care to cut things from it, either.

I would imagine the same is true for many people that made their own communities to keep track of stories.

Well, discussing such things isn't really the point of this thread, so I'll stop here.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  6. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  7. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Not me. Not only am I humble but my taste is amazing. ;)

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2496525/DLPalindrome

8. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

9. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1690674/

I use my favorites list to log all the completed stories that I may want to read again in the future. Incomplete stuff goes on my alerts. On occasion authors will update a complete story and confuse me (just Sorrows), but it works pretty well.

10. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1038626/

I just add whatever I happen to be browsing and isn't too amazingly shitty to not read. Using C2s to sort a PITA on mobile for so long, I never started a C2 filter.

11. Iandude0

Iandude0 Squib

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6508383/Iandude

I won't say the quality of my favorites list is exactly great, however I think I've seen some interesting stuff over the years (though I'll be the first to admit not all of it was good). I've also written a few things, but none of them are really good per se except for my Bad Road stuff, which has been crossposted here.

12. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, I noticed a lot of you have mostly DLP stories as your favourites. How long do most authors on WbA wait before they post on FFNet in your experience?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  13. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4000634/

Eh, mine could be way worse. A few months ago I stopped procrastinating and started taking the genuine garbage out. Result: 300 less fics in it. Still has 387 in, though.

14. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't make any excuses for my favourites list:

15. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I realize that the DLP C2 has great fics I've been through it enough times. The point of this thread was to see if there where any other fics in peoples favorites lists that might catch my eye.Although it seems odd to me that someone would favorite a story that they didn't enjoy. Although a fic that some people might find terrible might just be interesting to someone else.

16. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Well, it's not like FFNET gives you the option of creating extra lists without going the C2 route. If I could make a "favorites list" AND a "I read this already list" I wouldn't put everything into one.

But I'm more interested in having every fanfic I've read on the site in one place than I am in keeping up with the ones I really liked.

17. fire

fire Order Member

This thread is a pretty good idea.

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1125469/

FWIW, I'm pretty conservative about my Favourites list - I've gone back a couple of times to delete stuff from it that I enjoyed but objectively weren't' all that good.

18. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  19. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

It varies from author to author. Myself personally, I've gone from having a wait time of 1 day (for stories that received little to no feedback) to a few months (story had lots of kinks pointed out). I'd venture the average on DLP is somewhere closer to a few days to two weeks for authors that regularly publish (ignoring the one shots in WBA that never see the light of day).

20. Brandonito

Brandonito Squib

This is a pretty awesome idea. When I was younger and started reading fanfiction I always used to assume sorting by reviews or follows or favorites would let the best stories rise to the top. Not really sure why that's not the case, but most of my favorite stories haven't been found this way. I tend to 'vet' a lot of stories by checking if they've been posted on DLP.

Thanks guys, already found a story to read this weekend.