1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Your Predictions for Deathly Hallows, and Results

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KlavoHunter, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Sarah

Sarah Daddy Issues

Yeah this is a necro but I really didn't want to start another one when this was still on the first page.

I expected Harry to become more independant and actually think for himself - We all know how that worked out :rolleyes:
    I expected love to actually be what killed Voldermort - Heh.
    I knew Snape wasn't really on Voldermort's side but I had hoped that it wasn't because of some disgusting revolting love for Lily. Heh. I was right. I also expected Snape to remain a complicated character...instead he was simplified beyond imagining :mad:
    I thought I would like Lily and James more...the reverse happened.
    I thought Hermione would become 3 dimensional - She didn't .
    I thought the epilogue would be good - Heh. We all know how that turned out as well.
    I thought HG would end - Also didn't happen.
    There's more but I'll list them later.

2. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

* sniffle *
    I was Really Hoping for H/Hr.

Really.

3. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

That cracked me up.

As for DH? Well, I figured JKR would have come up with a way for me to forgive the horrible things she'd done to the characters in HBP. I figured the end would be better than most around here expected. I was nearly certain Snape would die in service of the good guys, he was really working with Dumbledore in the whole killing him thing, and there would be some semblance of the One Big Happy Sleazeley Family (H/G and R/Hr were a given).

As for how close my predictions were, well, I have some idea, but not that much. Why? Because I couldn't and still can't finish the fucking book. I just can't.

When it first came out, I got it, read about a third or so and stopped. Harry and Hermione were about to go camping and a freaky old woman turned Nagini thing had just happened. The problem was I was forcing myself to read the book. I wasn't turning pages looking forward to more. This is was like back in school with a book report tomorrow, trudging through the least interesting book in the world and barely taking any information in. Listening to the faucet drip was more interesting than reading.

So I put it off. Told myself I didn't want too much to influence writing my fanfic (A Black Comedy) at the time. Decided I'd read Deathly Hallows after I finished ABC. Which I was figuring would only take a couple months. A dose of real life got in the way, and I only got a couple chapters written over the course of like four months.

But since then, I've finished ABC. And a little while back I picked up Deathly Hallows again. Didn't even last a page of reading it. I have no interest at all in reading it now. I read the epilogue way back when it was a bunch of JPGs of the book laying on the carpet. And I've heard enough about DH to have any desire to read it squelched. I don't need to see these characters I loved for basically five books turn into something ugly and awful.

Maybe someday I'll read DH. But I really don't want to.

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not true. They were the only people to do the clever thing: go away and come back with reinforcements.

5. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I predicted The Tent.

o/ The Mighty Tent.

6. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Did anyone predict the Bag of Holding Endless Useful Objects?
    (That should be a major artifact - it's much more powerful than the Sword.)

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Disagree. The Undetectable Extension Charm, while complex, is pretty common. HP is full of places and objects that are larger on the inside than outside.

On the other hand, goblin-made weaponry is pretty rare, and goblin-made weaponry that has absorbed Basilisk venom even rarer still.

8. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

While not specifically DH-related, I predicted that the residents of Portkey.org would be on suicide watch after reading the book.

I was correct: the volume of pissing and moaning that fucking Harmonians vomited onto my internet was like nothing I've ever seen (which basically turned me off of that ship forever. You like H/Hr? FUCK. YOU.)

9. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Being a pessimist in most circumstances, I wasn't really disappointed with the book; it was almost exactly what I expected. My predictions for DH were as follows:
    1) Voldemort's death would be ridiculous; there would be no epic power clash between him and Harry. The "power of wuv" or some other detail would be the bane of Voldemort. Harry's skills simply couldn't be ramped up enough to match Voldemort's in one book.
    2) H/G. Sad as it is, after the whole "monster in the chest" deal, I expected Harry to wind up as another piece of the Weasley household, doomed to an existence dedicated only to propagating a line that if Darwin had his way would have died out a long time ago. Seriously, nothing good comes of having a chest monster. Hasn't Harry ever seen Alien?

10. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I missed that. What was it like? I tend to only visit here so miss most of that stuff.

11. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

After the initial shock wore off (they were blessedly quiet for a couple of days) it was like God himself had unleashed a plague of whiny little bitches upon the internet, and it didn't stop for months.

Most of the crying was along the lines of:

"OMG, JKR totally ruined all of her characters. She's the worst fucking author of all time and now she's destroyed Harry Potter. Please validate my feelings, because in real life I'm a useless, fat housefrau who's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too attached to the idea of non-existent relationships between imaginary, fictional children and I'm so distraught by this development that I'm going to take a steaming dump on every HP message board I see until I feel better about the fact that Harry will NEVER, EVER marry Hermione and make bushy-haired little dork babies with her."

"Sour Grapes" doesn't even BEGIN to describe the level of asshattery that was displayed. Put it this way: I generally don't get excited about shit that happens on the internet, but I have never in my life wanted to reach through my monitor and deliver a falcon punch to a group of sniveling assholes like I did following DH.

After a while, it got to the point that I went from mildly ambivalent toward H/Hr to completely hating it, because I didn't want to have anything in common with the fucking Harmonians. (The way that DLP generally feels about H/G? That's sums up Harmony for me)

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  12. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Ditto for me. I think I'm more hesitant to read H/Hr fics than H/G ones now. And as much as it pains me to say it, I think Rorschach Blot's yahoo group is where most of my Hermione animosity has come from. Rorsh himself isn't too bad, but a number of the members there create the absolute most annoying sorts of characterizations of Hermione.

Fics like The Sin of Existance's Cold as Ice series have got me hating Harry/Luna on occasion now too. LUNA! I shouldn't be able to hate on Luna. Especially when she's paired with Harry. I can't stop reading though because of how amusingly it parallel's MrJoe's Knowledge is Power.

Generally now, I'm extremely hesitant of ANY fic where the pairing is important enough to put it in the ff.net summary.

13. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

[​IMG]

14. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Me, too. I've reached the stage where I either want something short to read only at bedtime, or I want a full-sized book that has the romance off-screen or no pairing.

15. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I expected Harry to have to traipse around the world in his search for the horcruxes. Seriously why the fuck didn't he bury one under an ice cap or banish one onto the surface of Pluto? Nope he leaves them scattered around England.

I also expected Harry top have a threesome with professor Vector and auntie Muriel so I guess I was slightly off target.

16. Blackvoice

Blackvoice Third Year

I expected a bit of epicness. You know, last book, you give your all and then go to sleep for a couple years? Well, there was some epic, but it was epic in the same way that seagulls surviving an oil wave is.

I guess she exanged "write good book and bask in your glory" with "write crap and try to milk it, too". Meh.

17. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

I came pretty close by using common sense, a couple of well-researched fan theories and The Plot Mirror.

18. Padfoot85

Padfoot85 Sixth Year

I hope this isn't too much of a necro. I know it's been a month but it's the third thread on the page so it can't be that bad.

I expected DH to be horrible.
    I expected her to either completely ignore her plot lines or give some completely useless tie together to bring it all home
    I expected Snape to die and the DD death to be planned

I wanted an open ending with no real pairings at the end. And honestly had she not done the epilogue it would have been that way. Which explains the epilogues entire existence

I wanted there to be some justifiable reason for why Harry was chosen. Screw the old bat in the Tower, Voldy could have just as easily chosen Nev so there had to be a decent reason for going after Harry. And don't give me this whole he was a half blood crap.

I wanted at least one of the trio to die. JKR had said a thousand times that someone big was going to die. If Snape was her someone big I swear on all that's holy I will use the book for kindling. Ron's Chess set foreshadowing didn't help matters.

I didn't expect Voldemort basically take over after less than 3 months. I mean the Death Eaters were a small terrorist cell at best. Now they're running the fucking government?

I didn't expect the unmitigated douchebaggery displayed by Ron. O.k. Maybe I DID expect it but I didn't expect him to be forgiven so damn fast. Ron BITCHES about being left out and his jealousy is just shy of insane asylum inducing, but the minute he gets away from mummy weasley's cooking and smothering he can't handle it. Perhaps Ron just likes to bitch.

I really didn't expect the ending and the epilogue. If she was going for shock than she pulled it of nicely. However my guess is that most of the shock given by people were not for the reasons she wanted it. We're in shock because the greatest dark Wizard of the last century or more was taken down by a fucking technicality. And a bad one at that. And as i've said earlier and has been repeated over and again, the epilogue was quite possibly the worst use of ink and paper since NAMBLA wrote their membership rights.

All in all, i expected a few things desired a whole hell of a lot more and was in shock by a few topics.

19. Blah-the-Sixth

Blah-the-Sixth First Year

I expected Remus and Wormtail to die. Just not in the crappy way that they did. Here's a little look into how I saw this happening...

Remus and Wormtail fight, this would get a +1 for being the last of the Marauders fighting it out. Wormtail's "silver" hand is used to kill Remus; since we all know werewolves+silver=bad things. Remus in his last moments of life kill Wormtail.

That would have been a damn good fight IMO. Sadly J.K.R. knows jack and shit about good fights and how to take advantage of the crap she puts into her own book.

20. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mainly because the Remus-Pettigrew fight to the death was expected by everyone dipshit. It's been used so many times in fanfiction that if she used it in DH it would just feel cheap.

Even now I really doubt that Pettigrew's hand was true silver, at most it was a silvery colour. Think about it, the Philosophers stone is used to make silver and gold, I'm pretty sure that you can't transfigure precious metals.