1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Zenith of Sorcery by nobody103 - T - Mother of Learning Fandom

Discussion in 'Other Fandoms Review Board' started by Owimbowé, Aug 31, 2023.

1. Owimbowé

Owimbowé Fourth Year

Title: Zenith of Sorcery
    Author: nobody103/ Domagoj Kurmaic
    Rating: T
    Genre:Adventure/Mystery
    Word Count: 32,868
    Fandom: Mother of Learning
    Links: https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3368346/1/Zenith-of-Sorcery
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/71045/zenith-of-sorcery
    Patreon Page: https://www.patreon.com/nobody103

Summary: Marcus, a powerful mage with few equals, is returning home from his long exile. All he wants to do is reconnect with old friends, build himself a house, and maybe train a successor or two, but strange things are happening in the world and not everyone is willing to let go of the past. Classical fantasy with some xianxia elements and a complex magic system.

Looks like nobody103 is back in business.

His previous story Mother of Learning was about a teenage mage, Zorian, involved in a time loop mystery. This time our protagonist, Marcus, is older and more experienced. There is a lot of worldbuilding done in these chapters (especially regarding the magic system) and suffice to say the world seems really different from MoL. On the mystery aspect, this is only the beginning but it seems that Marcus will have to investigate an incoming catastrophe that might happen on his world.

Knowing nobody103 we can probably expect a new chapter every three weeks or at least one chapter a month when faced with delays.

Not enough chapters to rate it but I was hooked immediately. For now Marcus reminds me a bit of Zorian in his attitude but we'll see how it turns out in the long run. There was also just a hint of xanxia element but thus far I can't say much about it since I don't know the genre that well.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2023
  2. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    very early plot wise still, but high quality of writing (as to be expected) so I suspect it will be very good as it continues to grow

3. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Note that the category for this should be Original Fiction - it's connected to another original work, but its still original.

Seems far too early to rate. I will check it out, though.

4. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Hasn't really managed to grab me at all yet and the written almost feels like he's regressed a little as an author? Or perhaps my memories of his last pieces are just too rose colored

5. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I noticed the same, but maybe he’s out of practice, or trying something new.

Will have to see how it reads after there’s some more content.

6. Ishaq

Ishaq First Year

Looking at the date, this post was after just around 3 chapters? I just started reading and read the 7 chapters that are there right now in a sitting.

While the writing and story has its minor hiccups in the very first chapters, I attribute that to it being a completely new world. I don't think any author gets strong in creating something completely new until they have done this a dozen times.

Comparatively the story hooks you more and more when the story does start rolling in. I must say, I am already invested in Marcus. He is an active character, but feels like he has done the Hero Journey already. Which brings him into the phase where you think he can deal with most things, but he doesn't really have the need to prove himself anymore. The interesting parts come in by him returning to a society that has progressed and changed in his abscence and they have clearly not forgotten him.

So, even though he knows much more about the world than we do, he knows as little about the current happenings and we learn with him. I do like that aspect.

The supporting cast is being built up slowly and I already see potential in some of them. The Main Character is likable. The world is interesting enough already and promises a deep lore to learn about.

So, I won't rate it yet - but it does seem as promising as Mother of Learning. Just with less of a hook in the beginning, but with a more interesting Main Character right away.