1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Canon Characters in their proper Houses

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Ph34r_n0_3V1L, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Ph34r_n0_3V1L

Ph34r_n0_3V1L First Year

Why are there no stories about the canon characters being in the Houses of whom they have the qualities thereof?

Harry is a Hufflepuff; he is meek and mild, raised to be a hard worker, and loyal, as evidenced by his rescue of Hermione from the troll (if he was courageous, he would have gone looking for the troll, not the girl). Hermione is a Ravenclaw/Slytherin; she highly values knowledge and learning, and wants to be the best witch she can be. Draco is a Hufflepuff; he is loyal to his family above all else. Ron is a Slytherin; he wants to make his mark and not be just another Weasley boy.

My challenge is to write a story, length matters not, in which the Hat truly Sorts the students based on their known qualities, rather then be the vehicle through which JKR grouped together her trio of kid detectives. (Yes, detectives, as the first three books were all about the Trio solving the mystery surrounding the item in the title of the book.)

2. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

I think the only problem with this challenge is that no one gives a monkey's nutsack what House Draco, Ron, Hermione and the next fucktarded canon characters are sorted into. Or at least I don't. Other than that, you've done what loads of authors are already doing...an AU sorting story premise. The End.

3. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

:confused: Wut?
    Lol. Did you actually read the Sorting songs?

To be honest, I'm getting kind of sick of "different sorting" fics (although I would like to see a well-done Hufflepuff!Harry). The whole idea is getting tired and overdone.
    Crossovers are where it's at now.

4. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Being a whiny jealous tool who wants greatness without putting in work (I.e. Ron) doesn't make him Slytherin. Hufflepuff loyalty is more about comraderie, not familial loyalty - therefore no Draco in hufflepuff. Plus, the Hat will put you somewhere different if you beg, and Draco would be murdered if he got sorted into Hufflepuff.

That makes your whole challenge moot, really: everyone would just ask to be put in another house, regardless of where they truly belong.

5. Reyhkt

Reyhkt Groundskeeper

Ron, a Slytherin? Sorry, but that just makes me laugh. It's true that he's jealous of his older brothers, since he knows that he'll never be as good as them. I mean judging by his magical "skills", the only job he'll ever get, will be as Filch's assistant.

He may very well be ambitious, but he has definitely displayed no cunning. Ron doesn't do anything at all to improve himself beyond his brothers, and Harry. In the Goblet of Fire he throws a hissy fit when Harry got selected as Hogwarts second champion. In the first book, he gets a temper tantrum when Hermione successfully manages to cast the levitation charm, because he knows that he can't do it.

Indeed, I was perplexed as to how he sucessfully managed to levitate the club, and smack the troll's head with it, knocking it unconscious. I'm still convinced that it was Dumbledore behind the scene, with an invisibility charm over himself, who did all the work.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  6. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Lol.
    I think you meant 'trolls' head', no? ;)

7. Reyhkt

Reyhkt Groundskeeper

Ah yes, i'll go and fix that. I wasn't really paying attention to what I was writing.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  8. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

It's official. Harry Potter fanfiction has achieved "Condition Ranma," where practically every conceivable non-crossover plot has become cliche, and the presence of at least one other universe (Dresden Files, for example) is almost considered fanon.

9. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    ....Did u make up "condition ranma" on your own?

10. Dubrichius

Dubrichius Groundskeeper

He almost certainly did, but it doesn't make him any less right. Although, to be fair, I have read some original Ranma fanfics recently, but they were completely chock-full of crack.

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    But then, neither did any of the Slytherins from canon either.

I'm gonna go for "desperation". Like Molly vs. Bellatrix.

12. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I always thought that desperation enabled him to lift the club, but then the adrenaline rush faded and he lost his grip. The club just smacked the Troll unconscious on its way down.

13. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Meh, none of thte Slytherins from Harry's Hogwarts years. The more prominent former Slytherins (Lucius, Slughorn, Snape) were pretty cunning.

That's still giving him too much credit; I'll say "accidental magic" ftw.

14. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

I disagree. But that is mainly because I do not read crossovers. I don't want bastardisations of the Potterverse.

If crossovers are the only way forward,the it is about time they got their own stack in the Library.

Ron is as far from Slytherin as I could possibly imagine. I believe his ambitions are as unabmitious as you get. He wants to be better than his brothers, where as a Slytherin would surely want be better than everyone. He is also rash and devoid of cunning, and his apparent ability to play chess is no indication of a sly mind. Just look at him, he tried to hex Malfoy with a broken wand in CoS. Why do you think Dumbledore gave him the Deluminator? He knew Ron's hot headedness would force him to run away from Harry and Hermione.

15. Methene

Methene Auror

Not to forget Lord Voldemort himself. It seems the previous generation was far more powerful and significant then the current. Even in Houses such as Gryffindor.

I say it was Harry who did it, casting silently, but let the idiot think he did to avoid a jealousy crisis and to inflate his ego.

More truthfully, it was probably JKR's way of showing us Won-won is not that useless (in her mind) and establishing a precedent of damsel in distress for Ron/Hermione, as she did with Harry/Ginny.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  16. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Yes, to both points. I've noticed that the post-V-War-I kids are not "the Greatest Generation" by any means. In fact, most of the students at Hogwarts during Harry's time are notable only because their peers are even less outstanding. Looking back over the series, Hermione was the only truly impressive child character and Draco Malfoy was the next best - at least he had one major achievement to his credit. Ron's petty ambition and lack of discipline, Neville's cringing nervousness, Crabbe and Goyle who appeared to keep their brains in a little glass jar ... and especially Harry, who was warped into a hideous perversion of duty twisted into complete self-sacrifice.

The Damsel in Distress aspect really is the only justification for the canon pairings in Hogwart's class of '98.

17. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

I was under the impression that Ron had no magic and it was actually the troll that tried to lift the club but later forgot about it, making the club fall on its head.

Ron waving his wand and saying the incantation was purely coincidental.

18. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Indeed, and I feel this was needed to serve JKRs literary purpose.

She never wanted her characters to be competent at magic: they were the children who were learning magic, and the adults who were already "qualified wizards" were far above them.

This prevented problems in later books, as JKR apparently wanted to keep this children-adult divide, and yet the children themselves were coming closer and closer to being qualified wizards themselves, and should have been catching up with the adults.

Thus she made their generation incompetent.

19. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

Actually, based on what JKR wrote with the exception of Dumbledore, Voldemort, and...god help us...Snape the entire magical population of Earth was incompetent.

20. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Hmm...I'd disagree there...there's a fair few

List of competent characters we know:

Dumbledore
    Voldemort
    Grindelwald
    McGonagall
    Snape
    James Potter
    Lily Potter
    Remus Lupin
    Kingsley
    Slughorn
    Lucius Malfoy
    Bellatrix Lestrange
    All Aurors
    Hermione
    Cedric
    Krum
    Fleur
    Flitwick
    Sprout
    Most of the Order
    Most of the DE's
    Bill Weasley
    Charlie Weasley
    Percy Weasley
    Arthur Weasley

And many more no doubt.

Out of these about 4 were from Harry's generation, and out of those only 2 at Hogwarts.