1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Chime's Challenge #1

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Chime, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Chime's Challenge #1

Summary:

Voldemort's Horcruxes are lost to the world. He is truly immortal. Harry must find a way to kill him, no matter what it takes.

-Voldemort has control over the ministry and Hogwarts
    -Voldemort has had control over the ministry and Hogwarts since Harry was a child
    -Many of Harry's peers have been indoctrinated into pureblood rhetoric
    -Harry survived the killing curse, but it did not rebound and kill Voldemort, instead, it left Harry with a permanent dark curse attached to him (it saps his endurance). Voldemort let Harry live because he thought he was dead (and so he left).
    -Harry, Luna, Ginny, Neville, and several other 'light' Children all grew up together under the tutors of Dumbledore, Remus, and the other 'light' families
    -Of those chlidren, only Ginny and Luna are alive (Neville is comatose and can awaken, if the author so choses). Harry was the reason they were killed, in one way or another. He blames himself for it.
    -Harry has a desire to kill Voldemort and his followers. This desire is not altruistic. Revenge.

RULES:

1. Harry must in some form, encounter lore of the "Great Old Ones" - an ancient race with great power and supposedly the founders of magic

2. Harry must, if by fate or chance, hear of a cult that worships the great old ones

3. Harry hears of the one they worship: Cthulhu. He realizes what vast power it has.

4. Harry sets out to release Cthulhu on Voldemort.

5. Cthulhu must make an appearance, even if the summoning/releasing ultimately does not work

6. Ginny must die in some form that is very entertaining to watch (such as a magical sacrifice)

7. There should be references to other Lovecraft works/places/people, on Harry's quest to release Cthulhu
    8. Cthulhu
    9. Length is probably best left as one-shot, though I could see multi-chapter if you draw out Harry's corruption from light to dark, and his ultimate decision to unleash death upon us all.

Maybe this story idea sucks, but the idea of combining Lovecraft and HP seems too great for me to let it die inside my mind.

The trouble is coming up for a way for Harry to have a desire to unleash an amoral god upon the world without making the story suck dick. Harry essentially has to be insane, and the only acceptable way for him to do that (conceivably by me, at any rate) is to kill a lot of not-entirely-evil-people beforehand.

Maybe the challenge should be:

Dark!CultFanatic!Harry story with Cthulhu/Necronomicon integrated with HP magical history.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  2. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

IA! IA! CTHULHU FTAGHN!

PH'NGLUI MGLW'NAFH CTHULHU R'LYEH WGAH'NAGL FHTAGN!

Now that that's over with, getting the feel of the Cthulhu mythos nailed down is difficult as fuck. Seriously. For every thousand people that can write well there's maybe one that can write horror well.

You don't have to make Harry batshit crazy to make him summon Cthulhu; just misinformed. The Great Old Ones created magic, so they must be good guys, right? And Cthulhu is one of them? Poor guy, being trapped by those bastard Elder Gods on Earth so long. Kinda like Sirius. I'll set him free! And then he'll help me defeat Voldemort!

Oh, by the way...

PH'NGLUI MGLW'NAFH CTHULHU R'LYEH WGAH'NAGL FHTAGN
    R'LYEH WGAH'NAGL FHTAGN
    WGAH'NAGL
    NAGL

[​IMG]

3. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Ever since I saw Demonbane, I can't help but think of the Necronomicon as a cute, purple-haired girl with green eyes, wearing a frilly white dress and lots of red ribbons.

Hmm . . . green eyes . . .

"Harry, I'm sorry to inform you, but your mother is the Necronomicon."

"You mean she's read it?"

"No Harry, she IS the Necronomicon."

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I had an idea ages ago for a Cthulhu crossover, though looking back it did kinda suck. This one seems good but you'll have to get round the whole 'stars must align or the world will be destroyed' thing.