1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Kai Shek's Challenge

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Kai Shek, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Well, I thought about this after reading yet another cliched Twin boy-who-lived story.

With how many Manipulative Dumbledore stories out there, as well as how many Twin boy-who-lived stories are out there as well, I am suprised that I have not read a story that... combines the two.

With all of the twin stories out there, there is one plot hole that most readers try hard to ignore, and that is Dumbledore's stupidity when naming the twin the Boy who lived.

What if... he does it intentionally? He lets Harry's twin be glamoured with gifts and attention while Harry is in the background. That is.. until they start Hogwarts. Starting the first year, Dumbledore begins to show a hidden interest in Harry. Talking to him, discussing magic with him, and mentoring him. Harry's confidence and self esteem grows, as well as his relationship with Dumbledore.

While Harry's twin is raised to be the Boy who lived becoming slightly arrogant in doing so, Dumbledore can raise his Hero as he would like, with no interruptions.

Of course the writer would be able to write a well Manipulative Dumbledore, and not a Dumbledore who's true actions are obvious to all.

This idea however, just came to me, and I have not thought about the possible conflict besides Voldemorts return, along with his knowledge of just who nearly defeated him.

Dumbledore's manipulations should eventually be discovered... though I am not sure just how Harry would react to just betrayal.

Thoughts, ideas, bashing?

2. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Not exactly a challenge, but a very interesting plot bunny. It'd taker a very talented author, though, who has creativity coming out the wazoo and at least two other similarly named orifices to avoid all of the cliche pit falls.

3. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Figured it could be a challenge if someone wanted to help me flesh out the idea some more.

4. morgoth

morgoth First Year

I think i read something similar afew years back but I'm not shure, and it couldn't have been writen very well or be very long, otherwise I would remember it properly.

5. The Doctor

The Doctor Unspeakable

A slight change, perhaps?

Harry's twin really is the Boy-Who-Lived. Dumbledore mentors Harry because he sees his potential, or some shit.

6. Burn

Burn Second Year

There is a story

There is a story on fanfiction.net that matches your challenge almost exactly - it's by lightning on the wave. I don't remember the name of the series but it boils down to Harry's brother being named boy-who-lived while Dumbledore know Harry really is, and used phoenix-magic (sounds cliché, but it is an interesting thing when he explains it) to bind Harry up. Snape helps Harry out, while Dumbledore tries to keep Harry in line.

I stopped reading the series after a while, and I don't remember why. It is pretty good story-line altogether. Maybe it was because Harry and Draco were lovers. I think they were in that storyline. Maybe not. Anyway, look it up.

7. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Yeah... The first thing I saw when I scrolled down to Lightning's story list was: HPDM slash!

It is in most of his story summaries.

8. Burn

Burn Second Year

I knew there was a reason...

...that I stopped reading the series. The D/H doesn't kick in for a while, but when it does it does so in full force. I wish there was a story like that without the D/H. Does anyone remember that story about Harry becoming the next Merlin, but his twin sister is declared the girl-who-live? The storyline kind of resembles the challenge, but the writing is absolutely awful. And it might be H/G.

9. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

This would be a good one...even put the two brothers (or brother/sister or sisters) in different houses maybe Gryffindor (BWL twin) and Ravenclaw (Harry)...(upto the author, but No Slytherin) and then write it so that Harry, not burdened by the horcrux, plays the role of guide...

The author could even have the twins seperated with Dumbledore only managing to get BWL away from the ministry and Harry being put in an Orphanage run by a witch/squib or something...or maybe have him similar to Tom Riddle in every way except that he doesn't use his power to hurt others...even make him a parselmouth...
    Would it be overkill to put both of them at Privet Drive?

It'd be intersting to see a fic where the twin-bashing doesn't occur at all..., I've yet to see one myself.

10. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

{Snorts}

Why not slythern Harry? Nine times out of ten those have the best politico and on average have fewer cliche'.

Personally However I've never understood WHY people always write harry as neglected when they do a twin BWL story, it's just fucking stupid. Were I to write one, and I most likely won't, but if I did, They would be trained in tandem. BWL to kill the dark asshole, Harry to watch his back. Personally I think it'd make a great premise for a 'Puff Harry. (Also I can't help but wonder how Petunia would deal with Two of them :devil: )

11. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Seventh Year

Sorry for the slight bump but it was called Merlins Legacy and it was terrible with horrific Harry/Draco love scenes and Neville/Blaise and Gryffindor attempt-gang-rape of Draco on Harry's sisters orders.

Harry's adoptive parents and god-parents are also the founders and Uncle Merlin is there, multiple magical animagus, time-travel, beast speak, billions of galleons, goblins bowing, elf-raping and so on in the far world of monotonous clichés.

12. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

There was also another story where his sister was named Glory Potter, and Harry was the reincarnation of Merlin (this story is also in my favorites. My account name is the same on ffnet). The story's average, but it goes into detail about how Harry's the reincarnation.

13. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Seventh Year

That one was just as bad. Went through a sad stage of reading wrong BWL stories and he was friends with Ginny (can't remember if it was soul-bond) and then Malfoy and Weasleys were all chums.

14. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

I hate to admit having read that one, but was that the one where his sister was GwL and he found some orb in a pool behind potter mansion that gave him (or was it unlocked in him?) all of Merlin's knowledge and magic?

15. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Seventh Year

Yes, and he met the lady of the like I believe, who was Merlins long lost love etc etc and thats when I :wall: :wall: and clicked the cross, after leaving a nice large flame.

16. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Dumbledore need not be portrayed as a manipulative twat though. I like the idea of Harry's twin being the BWL but Dumbledore just takes an interest in a talented Harry

17. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Edit: Nevermind, I mis-read Random's comment.

18. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And his name apparently >_>.

19. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

The author who took this could, at least, make the neglect realistic and plausible. It is annoying that most of the time, the authors who take on this plots can't figure out a believable way to make it happen and have James and Lily forget about their "other" son overnight, with the only excuse that "He's not the Boy Who lived, he doesn't deserve attention".

I would have dumbledore inclining them to that point the subtlest way possible, intruding in the Potter's family life and changing it from the inside, appearing to act as a distant Grandfatherly figure for the twins. That way you could establish a base for the "mentor-student" relationship between Harry and Dumbledore and the reasons why Harry was forgotten in the first place, or why would Harry trust Dumbledore.