1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Neopyro's challenge #1 The Great Mary-Sue Letdown

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by neopyro, Jun 29, 2009.

1. neopyro

neopyro Third Year

Reason for the challenge: I'm really sick and tired of Mary-Sue and Harry-Stu fanfiction. I find it infuriating to get through the first half-dozen chapters (or worse, the first book) of a fic, only to encounter Voldemort's son who really has a heart of gold and is better than Harry at Quidditch, or the new girl from Iowa who knows more about make-up than Lavender, is smarter than Hermione but is still considered "just one of the guys."

The goal is simple: Revenge. Payback for those hours of your life that were wasted by fangirls who didn't leave a hint in the summary that Harry's long lost brother would be showing up in chapter eight.

The Challenge:Your goal is to create the greatest Mary-Sue or Harry-Stu that fandom has ever seen. Build up their character, with minimal sarcasm, and then kill them off. Reel the fangirls in, and have them begging for the next update, only to have their favorite character die.

The Rules:
    -A new student comes to Hogwarts under special circumstances. They could be a transfer student, or running for their life or whatever.

-The new student must already be better than a main character at what they do best for no adequately explained reason. That could mean: smarter than Hermione, better at chess than Ron, Better at Seeker than Harry or a multitude of other things. The more characters you cheapen with the arrival of this new student, the better.

-There must be a new prophecy made that eliminates the old prophecy and includes the new student.

-The new student must become a main character

-You must do everything in your writing power to make everyone LOVE the new character. You could have them be romantically involved with a main character, or capture Peter Pettigrew or beat the crap out of Draco etc.

-The new student is to be killed off. With this, you have two options: Gory or apathetic.

-With "gory" you should be as descriptive and cruel with their violent death as possible. Make them suffer. Give them hope of escape, only to smash it to bits. Be brutal and ruthless.

-With "apathetic" you should be as uncaring as possible about their death as you can. Kill them off with random chance and have nobody attend their funeral. Kill them off screen (Like JK did to Bellatrix. Bitch.) if you like.

-The fic must be posted on Fanfiction.net

2. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I approve of this. Perhaps I'll have to write my own.

3. QuixoticStoic

QuixoticStoic First Year

All hail neopyro the killer of mary/gary -sue.

Let us know when this comes to fruition. I can't wait to read the reviews.

4. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

When I came in here I expected failure. But this almost sounds good enough for a fag like me to write.

5. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

You know, I'd actually really like to read a few of these. DLP hasn't had a kill-off in a long time, either - might not be a bad idea to get one going.

That being said, considering the number of projects I have on the go, don't expect me to be participating.

6. 1moleman

1moleman First Year

You are going to be responsible for the greatest fangirl-mass-suicide in history... Can I build a shrine to you?

7. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I'm going to try this :p

Right after I read the challenge I opened up my writer. My sub-par writing skills probably won't allow me to do anything but something like this.

8. Naja

Naja Fourth Year

I actually cackled when I read the challenge. It's just a matter of finding the time to write the thing. Since many people seem to be having a problem with time, maybe people could collaborate on it.

I'm imagining people going on to almost every other fanfic site and hyping it up, getting as many readers as possible before the gory and apathetic kill off.

9. bylfolx

bylfolx Backtraced

This reminds me of a fiction that someone wrote here involving a Ginny/Harry getting together and in the last chapter Ginny is killed. If this is similar I would not read the fic at all but enjoy the many reviews posted about it.

In the above mentioned fic I remember a memorable review.

"What is wrong with you?!?"

If that fic is still up somewhere can someone provide the link? I'd like to reread some of those reviews.:banana:

And if someone is to write this I will enjoy the responses to it. hehe. I'd volunteer myself, but for now I'm working on a fic for DLP plus my own main one.

--byl, out.

10. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Wow, I didn't expect that. I would tip my hat to you, but I don't own a bowler's hat, so I'll tip my penis instead. I am getting a hard-on just thinking about reeling in those fangirls and leaving them in tears.

Link the fic on this forum when you have finished writing the first chapter, this might actually be the first slash I read.

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's called the Potter Tradition of Red by our very own Sree. Look it up on Patrnous Charm.

12. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, thats "The Potter Tradition of Red" by Sree.

Edit: opening tabs and coming back to it an hour later is fail.

13. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I would love to see this, the number of shitty mary/gary sues I've read in the last couple of years is ridiculous, and it would be great to see a very gory, violent death, the type of death that a whole chapter is committed too.

14. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I agree. Would be full of god damn win! Kill those damn sues!

15. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

If lots of people are going to write a fic to kill off Mary-Sues, I sense the beginnings of a "Mary-Sue kill off" thread. Perhaps any remembered fics with Mary-Sues could be posted in that thread and people offer to write and kill them off the story specific Mary-Sue.

16. neopyro

neopyro Third Year

Dear lord, I've created a monster. Well, once the Mary/Gary kill off starts, I'm willing to attempt one of my own. Granted, with my writing skills, we really can't expect much.

And yes, shrines are both welcome and encouraged. I demand sacrifice!

17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Do the fangirls who write Mary Sue and Gary Stu stories actually read other ones? I always sort of had the impression that they wrote them as sort of fantasies of what they wanted in a "perfect guy/girl" or else as self-inserts as the type of person they wished they really were (pretty, popular, the best, etc.) and that therefore they wouldn't really be interested in reading one someone else wrote.

Still, I like this idea. It makes me laugh. If it works it will make me laugh more. I applaud you for the concept and I hope it works!

18. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

What, you think mine are any better? :p

That helps the illusion! Crappy writing lures more idiots in! :awesome

Or so I would hope /:

19. neopyro

neopyro Third Year

@ Iztiak: please, how many stories do you have in the Awesomely Bad Fanfiction Forum? I have two, and that's my recent stuff. If someone actually bothered to read my old stuff, I'd get banhammered so hard I'd land over in Ginnypotter.net.

Edit: actually, I just read that, and it's pretty bad. Better than my starting stuff, as I used to ship H/G. (Granted, it was post PoA at the time and I have an unhealthy obsession with redheads, but still.)

Another edit: Huh. So it seems I posted a few challenges a couple years ago. I seem to vaguely remember them getting ripped to shreds. Whatever, they were probably stupid anyway. So, technically this is challenge #4.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  20. neren

neren Slug Club Member

Ok how's this? Introduce the gary-stu from America who is none other than...Edward Cullen. He joins the Quidditch team, gets Harry's seeker spot, and the girls all want to rape him. Harry at some point in the story, preferably towards the end, kills him. And Ginny because she was with the new seeker.

Two birds with one stone. Twilight fangirls and the HP ones as well.