1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneiros Challenge #3 -Harry/Dresden Crossover

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Oneiros, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Oneiros

Oneiros Groundskeeper

So, I've been thinking about how a crossover between the two universes could be done in a new way i.e. Harry doesn't get transported to a different universe sort of thing. It lead me to wonder what the role of Harry's magical community would play in the whole picture since they essentially are part of the world and are apart from it at the same time.

This led me to an idea where the magical world is truly apart. The world is quite literally removed yet connected. They function as the Old Guard, a society of extremely powerful wizards that sealed off the Outside. Going from London into Diagon alley quite literally transports you from the normal world into the world of the Outsiders.

That is why many creatures in the wizarding world appear weak and borderline insane e.g. the Vampire in HBP. The outside drains them of their true power. The Old Guard essentially works as the first line of defense against the outside, but sometimes things slip through the cracks.

Enter Harry Potter (someone gifted enough to actually be able to take out the dark lord). After defeating Lord Voldemort, he was given an Order of Merlin (1st class) and made a member of the International Confederation of Wizards. The defeat lead to a bit of a house cleaning particularly in regards to tomes featuring information on the Horcrux, and the ICW has sent in Harry Potter to clean up there biggest blunder, The Order of the Blackened Denarius. They are the remains of the experiments done by the half crazed dark wizard who invented the magic behind the horcrux. Said wizard believed he was a God, hence that whole fallen angel nonsense.

I envision the White Council to be a bit of a joke for Harry's wizarding world. I believe in book 2 someone said something like Squibs can't even preform parlor tricks which is what his world views their magic as not that it is useless against a Harry so much as it requires an extremely gifted individual to cause him problems.

As such all of the Old Guard tend to go out of their way to introduce themselves to all of the wizards and other creatures like Fae in Dresden's world by stating their full name. It isn't so much that the magic doesn't work on them as it is that trying to use a member of the Old Guard's full name activates a very old Taboo that sends a does of cruciatus to the idiot that attempts it. Say it once feel some pain. Twice get another jolt. The third one drives you completely insane. All the while, it stops you from using the person's name against them. Hence, Voldemort seeking to make wizards afraid to say his name as a show of complete dominance over the wizarding world.

I think it goes without saying but Harry is carrying the sword of Gryffindor or at the very least the sorting hat with him to deal with the horcruxi(?) when he finally gets ahold of the coins.

2. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

It seems like a good idea to me. if done right it could be very good story.

It is a little extreme don't you think? I think some thing more moderate would be better.

Overall i like the idea I hope someone writes this.

3. Oneiros

Oneiros Groundskeeper

It doesn't need to be that. I was just using it as an example more than anything else. I just dislike the idea that soul gazing and names could harm wizards from the Harry Potter universe.

It is a bit like the plot really. It could be modified to be Harry takes a vacation after Voldemort's defeat, and while dating Molly he happens to get a glimpse of one of the coins, and not knowing they know anything of magic, he removes it from the house and destroys it realizing what it is. The main idea comes in the form of him cleaning up crazy people who have decided to seal their souls away in coins.