1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

QuaziJoe's Challenges #1

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by QuaziJoe, Aug 13, 2008.

1. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Challenge #1 :

Summery:I'm not sure what inspired me for this idea... I think it was a cartoon, its vague.

Anywho, somehow, harry does the time warp, you know blinky lights, buck rogers flash forward with orchestral accompaniment blah blah blah...

But this isn't five or ten years... this is like millions if not billions of years into the future.

He is deposited in a world completely alien to him forcing him to survive only on what he knows about magic, and his meagre survival skills. A Unknown amount of time passes as Harry is wandering trying to get answers, for where he is. He doesn't necessarily have to know he traveled in time.

Heres the twist... voldemort succeeded in his attempt at immortality and finds him. And he's not the evil tyrant he was when harry met him. He's genuinely pleased to see him. He and Harry are the only remaining humans in existence and Voldemort has been alone since he wiped out humanity after harry left.

He generally views that as a mistake.

Presumably harry and voldemort, after harry stops freaking out about voldemort being cool, work together to get Harry home and change the timeline to stop voldemort from succeeding at becoming immortal.

Rules:
    * Harry travels into the very distant future, don't really care when
    * Voldemort is the only other wizard or human alive in this future
    * Voldemort is immortal(not necessarily indestructible)
    * Voldemort has to be a little crazy but in a friendly sort of way
    * Voldemort is tired of existing, he's explored magic and science and done things that make him the most powerful being to have ever lived but he has no one to lord it over so he views his immortality as sucking ass.
    * he can't kill himself, he has tried.

Suggestions:
    * Make a still in school harry who travels to the future.
    * reasonably intelligent, not uber trusting either...
    * He won't take Voldemort at his word.
    * Harry shouldn't be knowing super ancient spells or anything but he can use what he knows in intelligent ways
    * Voldemort has to be patient because he's already been alive for so long...
    * Voldemort may have already developed a way to travel back that far but cannot use it himself
    * there should be other life on the planet, use your imagination, you can decide if they are intelligent magical or just plain ferocious and wild.
    * don't neccesarily have to follow cannon, maybe he found another way to be immortal than Horcrux's or maybe he launched his horcruxes into space and there in different corners of the universe now.

Edit: It was justice league... thats where I'm gettign this idea from.

2. azrael

azrael Professor

This is an interesting idea. One possibility is to do something similar to HG Wells "Time Machine," where man has not gone extinct per se, but instead has devolved to a point where they are no longer dominant. Or do you mean that it is so far into the future that man has long since died out and there has been an entirely new evolutionary cycle, if that makes sense?

Meh, either way I am interested in seeing a story like this.

3. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

I was thinking Voldemort becomes immortal and then through some incident he destroys all life on the planet.

Or atleast makes it impossible for humans to survive or any other sentient being.

Voldemort is the only one left and whatever survivng creatures or bacteria survive, evolve into what ever versions of creatures the author wants.

I'd lean toward a alien jurrasic park type enviroment. Ferrocious and unique... Adds to the danger harry will be in.

4. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

You could have some of the sentient magical creatures develop complex civilizations after humans were wiped out, (house elf city's?) perhaps england was ground zero so nothing can live there but Voldemort, (and he cannot get off the Isle?)
    The other civilizations are ether hostile, or view humans as a sort of boogy man so are weary of him. Then you could have Harry wondering whether he has the right to go back and change things after seeing these peaceful civilizations of creatures oppressed in his time.

5. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

It's up to the author... if you can make it work then go ahead.

Though in my mind I would think humanity would have been long forgotten. And any species that survived would have changed so much so that they would not be recognizeable to harry.

6. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I would definitely read this, but it has a significant amount of danger of becoming another run of the mill Harry Potter in an alternate universe of the writer's own manufacture type of story. Not necessarily bad, but you could change the main character's name and you still wouldn't lose the impact of the story.

However, if you don't make it millions of years in the future and instead make it two centuries, it's plausible that Voldemort would still be around and world-weary.

It would probably suck after Harry made it back though. And it would take a great writer to make it good.

Still...

7. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

^ ?

umm I'm not cetain I followed that but thanks? I think?

I don't think you'd have to have a full series out of this.. maybe a short 20 chapters fic

It ends with harry returning to his own time. I wouldn't be interestied in reading this after harry returns home.

I say millions of years simply so the author can write a new world devoid of humanity. You know for something different. The author can work that writers muscle to create fantastical creatures and envirmoents and really get a challenge going.

And to give Voldemort enough reason to want his existence to end. I figure after 2 centuries he's still got stuff to study and do to pass the time. He may be regrettign it but he still may have sufficent motivation to keep wanting to live on.

After millions of years he's done pretty much everything he can think of, and is just survinving now. Going crazyer and crazyer as time goes by. He could have leveled citys and rebuilt them in the time it took for shrimp to evolve into some kind of flying hellicopter like creature that eats monkey fish from the hill tops of what used to be ireland.

Thats the kind of desperation I want voldemort to be under.

8. Cy Block

Cy Block Second Year

I fear that I wouldn’t get far, trying to write this. My Harry would arrive in the future and have a bit of a look. The world is breathtaking. Unfortunately, Harry never learned how to perform a non-verbal bubble-head charm. The End.

9. Fiddlesoup

Fiddlesoup First Year

lol, I was thinking something along those lines. He arrives so far into the future that he has no defense against viruses and bacteria. Make a funny one shot though.

10. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

If you wanna incorporate that, as Harry is slowly gettign ill from the viruses of the future and is rescued from the brink of death by voldemort. Then by all means.

@cy; I think there should still be air in the future so he should be good... :p

11. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

First thought I had?

"YOU DAMN DIRTY APES!"

Harry Potter/Planet of the Apes. D8

12. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

You can make it so that the world is about to explode (500 million years me thinks) so that Harry and Voldemort will be in a rush. Nice idea.