1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Rin's Challenge #2

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Rin, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Jeram and I were engaged in a private discussion on IRC and he brought up the idea that although the idea of Hermione ending up in Ravenclaw was not very good, he could see Hermione sorted into Slytherin.

That got me to thinking.

I mentioned that by the end of the first week, Hermione, who had already memorised all the first year books, if not the second, will have opted for the Machiavellian rout: make them fear you, if not love you.

So Hermione gets sorted into Slytherin and gets bullied for all about a week until the first and second years literally shit their pants around her NS and the third years are at least wary.

Even better, she manages to become bffs with Ron and Harry just like in canon.

Around 5th year, a muggleborn family of 3 dies and a couple of days laters, a mutilated and obviously tortured set of 3 7th-year slytherins are found dead on the main street of hogsmead.

Hermione delivers the eulogy for them at the end-of-year-feast, but laced within her speech is very VERY subtle hints that the parents of the dead are easily able to interpret:

"I tortured, mutilated, and killed your kids and there's not a fucking thing you can do about it, and I'll do it to the rest of everyone else here untill youall stop this bullshit right the fuck now."

Ron and Harry, who helped her torture and mutilate them, see nothing wrong with this due to Hermeonie's brainwashing. She basically becomes the next Rriddle.

2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is bad and you should feel bad.

No seriously. This idea is broken.

3. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Do Not Want.

Not now, not ever.

4. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

-_________________-

This is one of those times when I really want to believe that I'm being trolled, though I don't think that's the case.

I'm pretty sure we have to enforce a new rule: Rin and Jeram are never allowed to engage in conversation without several witnesses and baby-sitters.

5. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

I was nodding along with this right until she goes on a murderous rampage. From there on, do not want.

6. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

To be honest, I see so many flaws with this premise, that I stopped writing the list pointing them out (was up to a fifth point by the time I deleted and wrote this reply instead); it just wouldn't work.

7. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, what?

The whole idea is horrible. To the point where this being a troll challenge is actually possible.

She got bullied in Griffindor too and she didn't go around killing people. Ron and Harry would never just go along with that rampage shit. The notion of all of Slytherin fearing her is a bad joke.

The whole thing is just horrible.

8. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

A lot of the time in fanfics, Hogwarts students are heavily influenced by what house they're sorted into. Beyond "I'm a Slytherin," it becomes "I embody all the traits of the Slytherin house." It's entirely believable that in that kind (somewhat) cutthroat environment, Hermione would adapt in a much more ruthless fashion.

Definitely not to the point of wanton slaughter, but becoming Queen Bitch of Slytherin? It could happen.

9. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Can't believe Jeram was involved in this. Maybe he was setting you up for fail?

Those fanfics are almost certainly universally shit. Instead of bothering to create realistic characters, the majority of fanfic writers writing in a Hogwarts setting opt to take the template provided by Rowling and apply it to however many characters necessary.

Yeah this isn't going to work. No one will even see fit to offer any criticism since all of it is self-evident. This is where a few seconds of judgment would have been necessary to prevent this thread in the first place.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  10. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Pretty much this.

11. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Hermione could be sorted into Slytherin if she already has some Riddle traits before she enters Hogwarts, which also would be the reason that the hat places her in Slytherin.

Being bullied in Muggle school she might have started gathering followers - who might become targets for her Slytherin opponents later on - and spreading some kind of subtle fear using some kind of controlled accidental magic like Riddle did.

To survive the first two weeks she already needs to know how she has to deal with apparently stronger and more influential peers. The moment her presence is questioned she has to prove that she really is a Slytherin with the abilities to defend herself in more than one way and that she has the potential to be of use for the more Slughorn like characters of her house.

The result depends on the way you describe Slytherin as a house. If you stick to the twisted view we have - twisted as it is described through the eyes of a few Gryffindors - it wouldn't work. They'd finish her off within the first month.

If you stick to the Sorting Hat's song and create a house of the cunning and ambitious, then it would work. Of course blood purity would be an important issue, but blunt people like Draco would be a rare exception. Students like Greengrass, Nott (despite his father), Zabini, might treat her as a second or third class person, but they'd work with her if it suits their interest and later even for her if it means to propel their career.

The part that is off is Hermione still becoming bff with Harry and Ron.

12. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

It seems that Rin posted that in a hurry given the few typos and the fact it was all over the place. Which leads me to think she didn't think it all the way through before posting. And like all plot-bunnies at inception, they mostly suck.

I like Dark Minion's take on it, cutting out the fail elements, leaves a decent idea. Maybe some should point out where it fails and help the OP to make it worthwhile?

13. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

I think that there needs to be a bigger difference shown when Hermione decides to try and make people fear her. Realistically, she would set her sights too high and might end up in a very dangerous situation, which could slow her down and make her think things through better. But the problem is that Hermione doesn't seem to be that sort of character at all; she just wants some friends. I think a good starting point would be where it shows Hermione with the want to make people fear her.

Brutally murdering people at 15 doesn't exactly seem realistic, at all. Perhaps out of Hogwarts, when Hermione would have a high-level job at the Ministry of Magic, because then the writer doesn't have to write many scenes showing 'awsum matchurety' of teens in school, and can rely on the reader's ability to assume.

And I can't exactly see Ron and Harry being brainwashed. Harry is too goody-two shoes to torture and mutilate anybody, and Ron would probably not agree to anything evil Slytherin bitch Hermione says over his first and best friend, Harry Potter. But this makes me think that Harry/Ron could make decent reality checks for Hermione; sure, she's a genius with a murderous streak and followers, but she still has friends who worry for her.

14. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

What is happening here? I feel trolled.

Though you guys should admit that if Hermione were to be replaced by Daphne, many of you would probably read it. Or at least you would give it a try.

15. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

That's because Daphne is a blank slate, and this idea would not be raping her character.

We actually know Hermione, however, and therefore, this is retarded.

16. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

It's retarded to change a character drastically throughout the course of a story? One of the things I like the most about fanfiction is that you can change the way a canon universe happens.

17. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

It's retarded that you put a character in slytherin, and as a result she becomes a mass murderer.

18. Zennith

High Score:
    This. People make such distinctions about characters based on house alone, and generally that's insane. Being slytherin or gryffindor isn't going to have any impact on your tendencies towards murder.

19. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Nature versus nurture, again?

20. Zennith

High Score:
    Only if you think, for some reason, that being a slytherin would actively nurture your murdering tendencies. They're fucking children, being in a different house wouldn't make that much of a difference in and of itself.