1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The 5-Spell Challenge

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Skeletaure, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A fun little idea for a fic, or a collection of fics.

The challenge is thus:

Something happens to Harry. He might be hit with a spell, or poisoned, or it could be something more mystical. It doesn't matter what plot device is used. However, the result is this: Harry's magic is irreversibly altered. For the rest of his life, he will only have the ability to cast the first 5 spells that he uses after this event. He doesn't know this though, so he doesn't get to select the spells.

That's all the challenge is. A very basic idea. Authors could take it in many different directions. It could be a general fic/war story, following Harry and how he has to be very clever with those 5 spells to win the war. It could be a humour fic, if you choose 5 amusing spells. It could be a crossover: something like this would work well with an X-Men crossover, as it would mean Harry was no longer a complete god compared to mutants, but at the same time, he would still be something pretty special. It could be a drama story in which Harry decides to live out his life in the Muggle world, feeling his new magic insufficient for life in the wizarding.

It's also just fun to think about the 5 spells you would give Harry. We had a thread a while back on DLP about what 5 spells you would pick if you could only have 5 (my 5: Legilimency, apparition, disillusionment, imperius, imperturbable charm). But of course Harry doesn't get to choose.

(Edit: I think, given this limitation, it's fair to allow Harry to cast without a wand).

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. Rym

Rym Auror

To be honest, I think it would be more interesting if Harry could only use 5 spells period. As in, he fires off a stunner and he only has the ability to cast 4 more spells after that. Magical depletion, or whatever - just make up a reason.

Then shove him into a dangerous situation and watch as he has to use his brain to fight his way out.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That would make an interesting scene or one-shot, sure, but a fic like that wouldn't have much longevity, I feel.

4. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I'm not very proficient in english, but the idea is interesting enough that I could give it a try if I find some time this month! Should be posted in the WbA section when I get to it.

5. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

Quick question, if one of the spells is Accio are there any limits to what he can summon? Same thing with banishing as well, I suppose.

6. RBX3000

RBX3000 Squib

Just posted first scene on WbA. Here