1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Twisted Time Travel

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Janus, Oct 13, 2008.

1. peregrine1989

peregrine1989 Third Year

Sorry Sour Kraut, what you just described has been done to death by so many bad authors that even if I found a good one it would take a lot to get me to read it. There are far to many, Harry goes back in time, makes himself stronger and tries to hide it from everyone. Whether he is dark or not is of little importance, the Idea is very similar.

As for Doctor Horrible, I never saw it as a people are sheep attitude, more that the world is screwed up and the Politicians are not going to fix it so I will. His opinion of people in general wasn't so good, but he never thought them all as sheep. He was just fixing there mess. Problem with a Doctor Horrible like Harry, an idea that has potential, it would be difficult because he would likely also have difficulty killing people.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  2. The Sour Kraut

The Sour Kraut Seventh Year

That's just the thing, isn't it? It's been done, but it hasn't been done good - at least as far as I know. I'd like to read a well written one.

Also:
    Well, that was, essentially, the original challenge, wasn't it?
    Except for the hiding part maybe, but that one is more or less mandatory. Harry can't just go back in time and start killing. That's why he went back in the first place: To have an advantage because people don't know he's dark.
    Another option, of course, would be to not have Harry going back to his younger body but just going back the "old fashioned way". Problem with that is that you would have two Harry's in the same time.

About Dr. Horrible: I really think there is a people-are-sheep or they-all-can't-see-the-bigger-picture-attitude there. Things like "humankind has gone insane" and whatnot lead me to that opinion.
    But, on the other hand, I don't want to analyse that too much as it just isn't a serious movie one should debate about.

BTW, I don't think it would be that much of a problem to have Harry have a problem with killing people (except for self-defence). It would fit this kind of motivation and you could have him grow darker with time, but it would be a good starting point. A bit like I imagine the younger Dumbledore in his time with Grindelwald.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  3. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The story you were all thinking of was The Dark Order Series: The Beginning
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2414425/1/
    Really weird and nowhere near DLP standards.

Problem is everything is based on something that's already been written. You'll have to give it a twist that hasn't been done, or rarely done well. That's going to be the biggest challenge in writing a fic like that.

4. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

Er, no, not really. I'd think DLP would have himself up to fighting form, killing and fucking (with) people rather quickly. Who the fuck would waste a bunch of time working out when you can just sacrifice the bloody foreskins of a hundred jewish athletes and get the same effect?

The challenge would be more along the lines of "Don't Get Caught" (Competent!Unspeakables),
    "Try to absorb V's soul before he can reform a body" (IactuallyputsomethoughtandeffortintohidingmyPhylacoughHorcruxes!Voldemort),
    or "Fight a cold war against my friends that also came back to stop me."

Just throwing ideas out at this point, because powering back up is probably the easiest thing on DLP's to do list.

5. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Harry could always pretend, when he goes back in time as an evil dark lord, that he is actually Voldemort- who was 'transferred into Harry's body on Halloween'- but lost his memories. He would have all 'his' death eaters, and he could secretly take out Voldemort while pretending to BE a new Voldemort.

Then the conflict would be against Dumbledore and his allies (who Harry has now hateful and skewed memories of).

Imagine Yoda-Harry in his little, adolescent body jumping around and shooting spells...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  6. peregrine1989

peregrine1989 Third Year

Damn you, "The Heir." After reading your post I request a Yoda!Harry. The picture of a fight with harry doing the Yoda from the end of episode two, its just awesome.

Unfortunately I can't see any plot with that. Just Harry fighting like Yoda. All in all I don't think its going to happen. Its awesome but there's not much you can do with it.

7. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

I would like to see this one done!

Harry goes back in time. And kills the Gaunts! Boom problem solved.

New problem: harry is in the run from the law and they think he is a dark wizard and Dumbledore is going after him.

Now thats a whole new world to work with.

8. Scriblerus

Scriblerus First Year

You clearly don't read enough fan fiction. I've seen that left, right, and center.

The thing with time travel is, is there's a mild fanon interpretation of it that I'm not sure is correct.
    We see a two-Harry situation when we're first exposed to time-turners--remember the lake and patronus bit in PoA? Clearly, two of them can exist at once. The issue is preventing one from seeing the other and then there's the issue of whether the duo is likely to go mad when they see each other.

*dashes off*

9. Dark-Stallion

Dark-Stallion Professor

I've made an attempt at the start, because this challange seems a popular one and it deffinately caught my attention.

It's found here, and I think it has the potential to become a good Dark!Harry fic fitting your description. Thanks for the inspiration, my muse appreciates a break now and again =)

DS.

10. Vegemeister

Vegemeister Seventh Year

There is Genesis, but it's a produce of Demon God of Chaos, with all the epic fail that implies.

11. Hollow Ryuk

Hollow Ryuk Guest

What about Polyjuice, then? Wouldn't the same conditions of time-travel be encountered by someone meeting their Polyjuiced double? I recall the man(Reg Cattermole) Harry or Ron was impersonating like this approaching them in the Ministry of Magic(Page 266-267, Chapter Thirteen, "The Muggle-born Registration Commision", Deathly Hallows.)

The man did not go insane, though he was quite alarmed at seeing his double in the circumstances they were(Mass freeing the muggleborns, speaking with the mans wife, and IIRC a Death Eater raising the alarm about them).

(I am also aware that I am reviving this thread after over a month of inactivity, a no-no on DLP, but I am attempting to contribute to the overall point of the topic)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2009
  12. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Honestly, I just want to see a good Harry is his own father fic.

Just a well written one with this premise. I know they exist.

13. Tashio No Daiymo

Tashio No Daiymo First Year

Maybe he just did it for the lulz.

Is that a new thought, that Harry will continuously go back simply because he is bored and enjoys constantly fucking over everyone? The series would involve him going back in time to fuck over different groups of people at different times, with a main plot to make notes of how to get it so that everyone is fucked over?

That would make him a pretty fucked up obsessive guy.