1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Vegemeister's Challenge #1

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Vegemeister, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

That basically represents my thoughts on this, in a nutshell. My little gal pal in preschool played one, so I've always had a bit of a fondness for the instrument.

Nothing like having a real 'world's smallest violin' to play when someone starts whining.

"...and we haven't eaten in hours!", Ron moaned.

Harry pulled out his shrunken violin and began playing a mournful tune with the bow held between his thumb and forefinger.

"Harry," Hermione broke in, "What exactly are you doing?"

"I'm playing the world's smallest violin for Ron. Your life's awfully tough, isn't it Ron? So tragic..."

Hermione rolled her eyes at the boys, hiding her laughter behind her hand. Ron merely pouted some more.

"Stuff it, Harry."

2. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Keeping in mind its the early to mid 80's, not the late 90's and early 21st century? A lot of orphanages would probably not object to an old guy hanging around so long as he wasn't actually harming the kids. They wouldn't have a problem with him especially since he was providing at least one of the children with a "useful" talent.

3. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lawl

On another point, I think it might be a good idea to have Harry use magic with anything he can get his hands on. Using the rims of goblets, pounding his feet, beating on the walls, and other small stuff like that which can invoke minor magical spells. You can't do anything major, but maybe cause a distraction by freaking out the magical energy around one of the suits of armor or slamming a door.

4. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    As the Blues Brothers is proof that there is a God that loves us (or at least substantial evidence in this theory's favor) my initial reaction to this challenge was "OMG! Why didn't I think of this?!"

Rep +

As for Curtis (Lowe, I presume ;)), it is logical to believe that he could get a job as a Choir Director, seeing as it is an orphanage run by nuns. Perhaps Curtis feels deeply for the outcast young orphan, who reminds him a bit of himself, and gives him extra lessons (in exchange for Communion wine? OMG teh Hijynx!)

I guess Harry is to play the part of Buster Blues? Personally, I think it would be hoot to see the voodoo practitioner Queen Moussette (played by Erykah Badu in the Blues Brothers 2000 movie) show up at some point. Other characters would be cool as well, but, more difficult to place in the story (though a scene involving the late James Brown would make it me giggle).

As for instruments; it would be hard to implement them feasibly. It's unlikely, even with magic, that Harry would be able to carry around an alto-sax without looking like a complete idiot. In the amount of time it would take for him to grab his instrument, he'd be AKed to the head.

I think Harry should use his omg!uber!singingpowrz instead. Instruments could be used in neutral settings, like Hogwarts (I really liked the worlds smallest violin reference) but, unless he's swinging the sax at someone's head, it's not going to be very useful in battle.

Still, I'd read this story before you could say John Belushi.

5. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I think whoever said harmonica has the right idea. He could carry around a harmonica easier than almost anything else, and it doesn't get much more bluesy than a harmonica.

6. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

If I had a galleon for every time I was in a similar situation...

Because that sentence was MADE for quoting out of context.

7. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

You sir, have won 12 Australian Internets.

Anyway, it could come out pretty good if done well. Avoid a huge instrument, avoid a rock band instrument.

Meh, it could be done.

8. Novamute

Novamute Third Year

I think that if he is being trained by Curtis and mentored by Elwood then the harmonica and vocals would be the most feasible and in character. Would this effectively make him Jake or Buster? The image of Harry being called out and sorted while wearing the trademark Blues Brothers suit, hat, and glasses is priceless. Whoever does this challenge should also be required to include a broom chase that ends with at least a fifty broom pile-up.

9. LogrusMage

Wait... is this Curtis... is his last name Jackson? That'd be... fucking lulzy.

10. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

There's nothing like a good Steinway. Even though it's a piano, it could make for a good humor fic if Voldemort, being a coinessuer, attends a concert, where the subsequent magic-laden music kills him.

11. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Dude, that is probably the funniest thing I've heard all day. The mental picture is so elite. Much rep.

Someone could rise to permanent greatness with this challenge.

12. ovick111

ovick111 Backtraced

Response to challenge

The Final Battle
    By: ovick111

Harry Potter stood and smirked at the dark lord. They were in front of Hogwarts and it was the final battle of Hogwarts. Whoever won this would walk away the winner. Behind him stood his scattered and hardly trained DAs, some teachers, and members of the order of the phoenix. Behind Voldemort stood a few hundred well trained death eaters.

"You will die tonight, Potter," Voldemort hissed. "Any final words?"

"Yes," Harry said. "I do have a final word. I took some summer classes with Dudley and you will never guess what I learnt!"

Voldemort's eyebrows rose. "Oh? Please, do elaborate."

Harry took a deep breath. Immediately as per the plan all his forces took out ear muffs from their pockets and put them on.

Voldemort's eyes widened.

Harry grinned slightly and then opened his mouth. "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" He said it sharp enough for glass to break and then even sharper and sharper until it was almost imperceptable.

"What is this?! What are you doing? No stop!" Voldemort cried, clutching his ears. His ear drums shattered. The blood in his body started vibrating to an unnatural extent.

Then... boom. Voldemort and his death eaters exploded in a shower of blood and guts.

Harry raised his hand. His forces took off their mufflers.

"What now, Harry?" Daphne Greengrass asked timidly.

"Now?" Harry said, "Now we snog."

He kissed her hard on the lips and amazingly she responded.

The end.

An: Ah music... while it is magical, sometimes it becomes... painful.

13. LogrusMage

Before mordecai has to say it... stop writing these half-assed crapfests please.

14. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Don't worry Logrus, I negrepped him instead...