1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Q1 2018 - Contest Winners

Discussion in 'Q1 2018' started by Ched, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Q1 2018

First-line Prompt: "You're bleeding on my floor."

Winner: Entry #1
    Runner-Up: Entry #4

Authors are kept anonymous but feel free to claim your stories if you so desire.

I only got to review the first one due to... well, life. If you want my review of your story then PM me with which one is yours (unless you've already announced it in the thread, etc.) and I'll review and send it along. I've already done so for one person.

RESULTS:

Each first place is worth 3 points, each second place 2 points, and each third place 1 point. I am, as always, open to discussion about how to adjust the next competition. I won't always agree, but feel free to discuss as needed.

Voters: BTT, Halt, Zombie, Snorting
    Voters who reviewed <250 words for some stories: Shinysavage, Jarizok, James

A few notes: Not everyone linked to their reviews as they were supposed to. A few of the reviews were short of the required 250 words - however I didn't feel that they were too short to be helpful. I'm torn, because frankly... it's not super clear.

upload_2018-4-3_9-38-6.png

So, if we only take into account the people who voted with the required amount of review, we have #1 as the winner. If we take everyone into account #1 & #4 tie. I'd say #1 wins in this case, if we use that as a tie-breaker.

I think that getting solid reviews is part of the draw to compete. I don't want to gimp the requirements there too much. I think 250 words is a good goal to shoot for, though sometimes excellent reviews come in smaller packages (or useless ones in longer formats).

If I screwed anything up with the calculations let me know.

Congratulations to Entry #1!
    Also leaves Entry #4 as a clear second place (or tied for 1st if you prefer that).

Edited to fix initial vote counting issues - let me know if it's still wrong. Next time maybe we can 1 point for 1st, 2 for 2nd, and 3 for 3rd... with the lowest count as the winner.

I didn't include Jeram even though he reviewed as he did not rank his stories.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  2. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  3. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Congratulations, @James018! I'll hopefully be seeing you in the next competition, since I didn't finish mine this time.

4. James018

James018 Third Year

High Score:
    Thanks to all! :)

It's worth noting that The.Snorting.Hat (rated #1 higher, all 250+ words) and James (#4 higher, not all 250+) both also reviewed all stories and posted their top 3, and Jeram (#4 higher, not all 250+) reviewed all stories and but didn't post a top 3. So depending what criteria you use, it all gets a bit confusing who won. Entry #4 was a fantastic read and whoever the writer was, I'd be perfectly happy to share the win with them.

5. Ched

You're correct, I missed them whilst scrolling through the main thread. I'll adjust.

6. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well I didn't realize I was supposed to post my top 3 somewhere...

7. Ched

upload_2018-4-3_22-42-11.png https://forums.darklordpotter.net/threads/q1-2018-story-competition.37591/

Neener neener!

Edit: In all seriousness, thank you for reading and reviewing and voting regardless. Would it have significantly changed the lineup, however you voted? I do realize that the changing rules don't help. Another 1-2 rounds and we'll have things streamlined more.

8. James018

James018 Third Year

High Score:
    Personally, I thought the rules for this competition worked fine. It’s probably best to keep them as consistent as possible, so people will get used to following them.

What I want to know is when is the next competition? Will it continue as quarterly? I’m fine with that, but I do notice the main reason it was changed was to give people more time to write and finish their entries, and it didn’t exactly succeed on that point, there being only 4 submissions in the end.

9. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

That's in large part because people procrastinate. I don't think there is going to be any good interval time other than what we have.

The reason I didn't do this one versus the last one was because I got nothing from the prompt. That's more concerning for me.

It's ironic that for the poll there were a fuck ton of votes but no actual contributions from as many authors so maybe there is something that needs to be done to bridge the gap, what though, I'm not sure.

I'll most likely be doing the next one barring some stupid plot idea.

10. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I was actually writing a story, but my spring became way too busy. Nevertheless, had it not been quarterly, I wouldn't have even tried. I think quarterly works.

11. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I did miss the rule about 250 words for our reviews to count, although equally I'm surprised that I didn't hit that on all of mine, so knowing about it probably wouldn't have made a difference to be fair. I do think the current requirements seem fine, it's just going to be remembering them at review time and getting people involved, but that's always going to fluctuate anyway.

And congratulations to James 018!