1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Q3 2018 - Story Competition

Discussion in 'Q3 2018' started by Ched, Jul 9, 2018.

?

What's your pick for the Q3 prompt?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2018.
  1. The Elder Wand

31 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Time Travel (not Harry's POV)

15 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. Vampires

56 vote(s)
    38.1%
  4. Azkaban

45 vote(s)
    30.6%
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The prompt is VAMPIRES!

See first post for rules!

2. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Third Vampire concept is loosely coming together. Pretty happy overall with my first 500 words, and getting there with the next 500. Just got to iron out the background and make up my mind what I'm going for with vampires in a Harry Potter setting, y'know? Might help if I actually read that Vampires 101 thread.

3. The.Snorting.Hat

The.Snorting.Hat Second Year

High Score:
    Question: if you submit a story, do you also review it? Or are authors not supposed to be reviewers?
    How does that work?
    --- Post automerged ---
    There's a vampire 101 thread? I want in!

4. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    From the first few competitions so far, if you're a submitting author, then no you do not review the other stories during the judging period. You are more than welcome to read them and if you have any commentary to save it for after the winner is announced, and then to leave your thoughts on the other entries(which is what James did if I remember correctly for the Q1 stories after he'd claimed his own).

Yeah, it's under the Original Fiction area. Here's the thread.

5. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

What's the approx head count for this so far? I don't want to give anyone's name away in case they want to keep secret, but my mental list is reaching 10+. We may actually have trouble getting people to read let alone review that many stories if everyone (hopefully) submits something.

For the old competitions, a poll was put up to gauge the site favorite. If we do get a lot of entries, we could go down that road, and readers could review stories at will similar to WbA entries.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  6. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Don't give anyone an out. Actual numbers are probably below what's being estimated. If anything we extend the time to review to give readers a longer time to respond and review.

7. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I'm with Zombie on this. Having too many stories to rate/review would be an embarrassment of riches for the community that we should hope to see happen.

8. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

Or ... how about splitting it in two groups, and the first one gets published at September 23rd, while the second one would be published at October 7th. That way, there wouldn't be not too much "at once" to review, even though we might get timing problems concerning Q4. It's essentially the same as to prolong the time frame, but it might feel different.

9. Zombie

Just extend the time to review. I don't want people psyched out because they think it's going to be too much. We blast that shit on the he front page. You share it with your friends and family and you fucking get in there and review.

Too many stories is not a problem. As Pers said. A little bit of time to review should be sufficient when I doubt most people are going to submit more than 3 to 6k words, if that.

People waste time reading shit stories, how about reading something written by some talent.

We're also over complicating the review process. Just uses Cheds template and fill in the blanks. Just show that you actually read it, what you liked and didn't and move on. Simple as.

I believe in all of you. You can do it.

@Perspicacity glad to see you engaging in the community again.

10. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

Would like to see tons of people enter this comp. The more vampire stories the better.

In the spirit of helping the creative juices flow, I spent a few minutes scouring the web (hpwiki/reddit/pinterest/DLP) for vampire-ish prompts and tailored them so they fit in the hp verse better. Hopefully someone can find a mote of inspiration in one of these.

1. Apocalypse: Vampires vs. Inferi
    2. Hogwarts gets a vampire history teacher.
    3. Lockhart bragged about cursing a vampire into only being able to eat lettuce. Said vampire wants revenge.
    4. So why is Quirrell terrified of vampires?
    5. Harry’s roommates aren’t so bad. Sure one’s a werewolf, and one’s a vampire, but other than that they’re tidy and they pay his rent and buy his food. In fact, your only job is to watch out for the Ministry’s Hunters. Good thing Harry used to be one.
    6. A vampire that writes messages on your mirror with blood but they're useful messages like “remember you have yoga at 6 tonight”.
    7. Can the Killing Curse kill vampires?
    8. The vampire Sanguini had an alternative reason for attending Slughorn’s party.
    9. The Quibbler tried to publish their theory of Rufus Scrimgeour being a vampire. The Ministry suppressed it.
    10. As the Master of Death, Harry can see everyone’s death date floating above their head, including his own. He was supposed to die yesterday.
    11. Harry begins to suspect his vampire friend is actually human.
    12. A vampire looks into the Mirror of Erised.
    13. Harry dates a vampire. He finds a photo album of their exes who all sort of look like him dating far back into history.
    14. Post-DH part-werewolf Bill Weasley gets bitten by a vampire.
    15. Unfortunately, the spell which allows Tonks to bypass needing an invitation into homes makes her very clumsy inside of them.
    16. In this new world, true death must be earned.
    17. The Dursleys only wanted Harry to be “normal”, like them. (vampire Addams-family-esque vibe ?)
    18. Due to an administration error, vampires are not considered protected ‘beings’ for the moment.
    19. Desperately in need of immortality, Harry approaches a vampire for help.
    20. The only time a vampire can come out during the day is while a total eclipse is occurring.
    21. Cursebreakers in Egypt accidentally release the last vampire.
    22. Ollivander has collected plenty of creature parts his time. But there is nothing he wants more than the set he can never have, the teeth that will never fall out no matter how long he waits: the fangs of a vampire.
    23. Help a vampire out, and they return the favor.
    24. It’s vampire law to never turn a wizard or witch.
    25. Voldemort needs a vampire for his ritual.
    26. Dracula was secretly a human vampire hunter who allowed fictitious stories and rumours of his feats to spread as a ruse to lure true vampires to his castle and destroy them.
    27. Hagrid loves all things deadly, except for vampires.
    28. Magical creature/being carnival.
    29. Everyone knows vampires can't cross running water. Harry's nervous about the Second Task -- the water kind of flows, doesn't it?
    30. Vlad kidnaps Daphne Greengrass.

11. Perspicacity

High Score:
    Sorry, but I think the only workable plotline is: "30. Vlad kidnaps Daphne Greengrass."

12. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What need is there for kidnapping when true love is involved?

13. Perspicacity

High Score:
    Who says they're exclusive?

14. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well no one mentioned Susan Bones, so...

15. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

What he said.

But seriously, what is with the drama about reviewing? We can extend the time to review. We can maybe simplify it even more, though 200 words is not a lot and I gave you a template.

But if this competition ever becomes one where you can vote without reading all the damn entries then I probably won't consider it worthwhile.

Because you know what would happen? People would hear which ones were good and then they'd read those and skip all the others. People might just pop in to 'vote' for their friends story without even reading that one, who knows? But in the end the feedback is the reward for participating. Your additional prize for winning is getting your idea into the poll so that next time you might get to read stories in a particular niche you're interested in.

But I'll be damned if I let something like "too many entries" change the fact that people need to review them. Cuz you know what sucks? Posting in WbA and not getting any feedback. You know who doesn't get much feedback? Usually the people who need it the most. Or if we apply that to a competition, the worst stories wouldn't get feedback while the best ones got praise and nitpicks.

/rant

Huh, sorry. Didn't mean to go off there.

I'm still open to the idea of discussing change, and taking in peoples feedback on how to make things easier or streamline them.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Unless we get to the point that we can't keep up with the number of entries we get (highly unlikely) I don't see a need to start considering how to deal with high volume we don't have.

Because honestly? It sounds like people want to be lazy and not provide feedback. Not that they can't, just that they don't want to because it's a pain in the ass to read/review poorly written stories.

16. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

I didn't like the vampire prompt at all. Vampires don't do anything for me and they don't scream Harry Potter to me either.

So obviously I was struck by some inspiration and wrote the complete skeleton for my entry just now. I rather like it. I blame Selethe and their inspirational list.

17. Zombie

Selethe doesn't like Their as a pronoun.

18. The.Snorting.Hat

The.Snorting.Hat Second Year

High Score:
    I'll be feeling extremely smug all day today just because the plot I thought of wasn't in that list.

Heh Heh Heh Heh Heh Heh Heh...

19. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Alright, here's a plot I haven't seen and currently have no time to properly write:

Origin of the vampire.

My idea was to combine it with "Bill Weasley is wizard Indiana Jones."

20. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was sulking because vampires won over Azkaban, but a plot bunny hit me like lightning from a clear sky and I'm hooked on the thing I want to write.

Thing is, in 17.5k words I wouldn't have the whole story. Would the opening act of something larger suffice, or am I going to need to find a new story to write?

Not open for further replies.