1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Entry #3

Discussion in 'Q4 2018' started by Xiph0, Dec 20, 2018.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Harry and Voldemort circled each other, wands held aloft as the dawn light streamed down from the windows patterning the Great Hall to shatter at their feet. Onlookers paused in their own fighting to watch their interaction. Finally, the Dark Lord cast the spell to end it all.

“Avada Kedavra!”

“Virtus Est Ultimum Amoris Salvifici!”

And Harry cast his.

--

“What was that?” asked Hermione as they snuck off to the Gryffindor Common Room. Ron, Neville, and Luna were close behind, watchful for anyone that could’ve seen past their disillusionments and followed them. They seemed to believe Harry wanted some privacy after killing the Dark Lord. He appreciated the sentiment.

“That spell,” she pressed. “You said your… mentor taught you something powerful. Was that it? What did it-- well, obviously it killed Voldemort, but why use it? Why not cast the killing curse?”

Harry sighed quietly. “We don’t what countermeasures he took after finding out we knew of his horcruxes. The killing curse might not have gotten him for good. I needed something stronger.”

Hermione’s footsteps slowed to a halt.

He smiled. “My mother’s love protected me from the killing curse all those years ago. All I had to do was give that up.”

“Your--”

“Love. I’ll never love.”

--

Harry sat at the foot of the grand stone staircase leading up to a secret doorway into the Hogwarts kitchen. He didn’t feel entirely different after making the sacrifice. He thought he would. The world didn’t seem dimmer. His feelings towards his friends were the same. He hadn’t thought twice about making the sacrifice-- he would’ve done that and more to end Voldemort once and for all.

Soft footsteps echoed behind him and came to a stop just where he was. A body folded into a seated position next to him, their long pale blonde hair tickling his arm.

“How are you holding up, Luna?”

“My dad’s wondering when I’ll come home. I still haven’t had the chance to see him yet,” she said, her neck curving elegantly as she blinked her wide blue eyes up at the ceiling. “I do want to see him, but I don’t quite want to go home yet. I know when I leave here nothing will be like it used to be. Is that a strange thought?”

“You’ve had stranger thoughts, I’m sure.” He looked up where she was looking, at the blank expanse of ceiling, hoping it had answers for the murky questions in his own head.

“Hermione says you’ve lost something,” said Luna suddenly. “Shall we go find it?”

Harry gave a startled laugh. “She did? Sorry, it’s not that simple. I didn’t lose it-- I-- er, sold it.”

“Let’s try and buy it back.” Luna stood up. Harry came to the realization Hermione had told Luna, and perhaps Ron and everyone else exactly what he’d given up. He scowled.

“Luna--”

“Don’t fight me on this, Harry. It wasn’t yours to give up.”

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

3. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Are you fucking kidding me.

Okay this is...barely a story? Stories have a conflict and a resolution. And while you do have a conflict (Harry will never love), and a resolution (Fuck that- Luna), it's not really satisfying. The length of a story is not an excuse to fail in building up the conflict, and here it's resolved far too fast before any sort of impact could hit us.

In fact, your entire first scene with that ridiculous spell quoted above could be gotten rid of, because it adds nothing of value and Hermione's words later on explain it well enough.

If I were to make a recommendation, I'd even go as far as merge the explanation into Luna's scene, because at least the piece is far stronger and condensed. For a short story, there's an amazing amount of excess words here that serve no purpose.

I've run out of things to talk about, and this isn't even 200 words yet, so I think I'll just dissect your opening scene as a case study of what not to do.

So the immediate problem is that you begin with the climax of an action scene. This is highly problematic as there's a lot of weight in this scene that ends up going to waste. Second, the way you start the action scene is strange. How it's usually done is to create an active situation for the reader to invest in, but here the fight begins very passively before being ending with a single spell from both sides.

Your spell choice of Virtus watchmacallit is also atrocious. Literally just dumped words into google translate latin, no doubt (Power is the ultimate sacrificial love, seriously?) Not only does the initial text lack and depth or beauty or subtlety, the latin translation lacks any of the charm of JKR's spells and runs entirely contrary to the feel of HP.

Next, having "And Harry cast hit" after the spell just reads weirdly. You can keep one of the two, but both just seem to be at odds with each other.

4. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I mean, lol. I feel like I'm back in the early 2000s. I haven't seen a spell name that convoluted in a long time, good job.

So, overall, I don't have much to say on this. This was a poor execution of the prompt. You get to the most important part, which is that Luna is going to help Harry go buy his love back. You could have wrote about the struggle of that, and how through it all, Harry and Luna found love in each others arms.

Or like, Harry was a blind fucking idiot and realizes in the end that his love isn't something that he can just give up, and that its been with him all along, he just forgot how to recognize it, and Luna's there to help him figure it out.

Or Luna, through sheer determination and her own qurikiness helps Harry recover, despite all his friends giving up on him because Harry can no longer make the connections that he once could, and so she's the only one that hangs out with him, spends time with him, and in the end, she's like, "I love you Harry Potter." And Harry realizes he's been a fucking mung the whole time and is like, "I love you too, Luna. Thank you for being there for me."

But, you don't do any of that. This is barely a story.

5. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Christ please at least put the verb at the end.
    I don't know where the word know is.
    'Their' is not singular.

This story makes little sense. The killing curse is unblockable; in canon it is not possible to keep oneself alive with anything apart from magic Voldemort has demonstrated he is not capable of performing. In any event, there are a thousand and one other lethal spells and if Harry's mysterious mentor can teach him a curse with that many Latin words he can teach him something that does not require that great of a sacrifice. Perhaps it still does not require that great of a sacrifice, or perhaps that specific sacrifice is impossible to make and the whole premise is false from the start, which is how he's going to fall in love with Luna. I suppose I could criticize the fact that you didn't go anywhere with that, but in truth you didn't go anywhere with anything, so it was not for want of priority. Consequently, the story approaches romance without really getting there, which is the main sign apart from the unfulfilled foreshadowing that it is simply not finished. Reviewing it as if it were finished, I would give it a 3/5, though that would be the rounded up score. It did not get a lower score for the sole reason that it approaches romance, and therefore at least addresses the prompt.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  6. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Fuck.

I’m actually mad at you, because I think you’ve got a great hook here. Harry give’s up Love and Luna’s here to help him find it. Is it gonna be an adventure, a slowburn romance, a quacky fic? But, it just ends there. I was scrolling, eager to see more. But, there isn’t anymore, this isn’t a story. And that spell. Dude.

7. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I think this entry is shorter than some of its reviews will be.

Some bad Latin, is what. This is a mistake many make, but Latin is intrinsically different from English in that it's subject-object-verb, not subject-verb-object. What that means is you have to construct sentences like "I the thing did", rather than "I did the thing." (This is a rule that cna be disregarded for poetic effect, but that doesn't seem to apply here.)

Anyway, onto the story itself. It's weird how you explain some parts entirely too much, like Harry "not being able to love anymore", but some you don't. Hermione says "mentor" in italics, so clearly some shit must've gone down there, but that's never gone into again.

It also feels weird to hear Hermione of all people say something like "Why not cast the killing curse?" Golly, why would Harry not cast the curse that killed his parents and left him an unloved orphan?

All of that aside, though, like all the others said: where is the actual story, the romance? You set up a hook and then it's never resolved. It feels incomplete. I can't really rate this more than 2/5.

8. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    What struck me the most about this entry is that it is a story full of missed opportunities. Its central theme, if there even is such a thing, appears to be love and the loss of it for the greater good (not even remotely romance, but that has been pointed out enough), and yet the story avoids to address any discussion of the matter at every turn. In fact, it reads more like the incomplete set-up for a story idea that ran out of steam before the first chapter was completed.

The premise is actually not that bad – Harry, who is the living, breathing testament to the power of love in canon, trades his greatest asset and now looks at the prospect of having to spend the rest of his life with people he doesn’t love (anymore), before one of his friends takes it upon herself to help him. The means by which this is accomplished, though, do not work at all.

The first paragraph is not bad, passive, but overall a useful introduction to the scene we have all seen playing out before our mind’s eye in so many different ways before, the triumph of love over pure evil. However, all of the potential went straight out of the window with the Latin phrase which, in addition to being contrived, cringy and a throwback to stories of mostly lesser quality from years past, also suffers from incorrect sentence structure.

The second part of the story introduces the reader in to the problem with Harry‘s apparently successful spell. Here, the order of events (or the omission of them) relies on the reader‘s knowledge that Voldemort will be defeated, which is a) lazy writing, and b) leaves a tremendous opportunity on the table. We never get to see the effects of Harry‘s spell – does Voldemort simply keel over, does he spontaneously combust? We don‘t know. It would have made for interesting visuals, if nothing else, and could have clued the perceptive reader in regarding the cost of Voldemort‘s defeat. Instead, the story takes the reader by the hand and force-feeds them what they apparently need to know. Subtlety, your stronghold this is not. The only mystery we get is that of Harry‘s mentor, and that‘s never mentioned again.

Finally, we see Luna and Harry have a private convertsation. The first part of their encounter – Luna‘s admission that he doesn‘t feel ready to face her father – is a nice touch, serving as a bit of characterisation, but ultimately this is nothing more than padding the word count. We don‘t know whether Harry‘s awkward reply ("You‘ve had stranger thoughts, I‘m sure") is sacrifice-induced or just an attempt at a laugh and moving the conversation along. Xenophilius betrayed his daughter‘s friends out of desperation and love for her, launching a frantic gamble to get her back. Has his love for his daughter cost him his daughter’s love ,at least temporarily? Does Harry still understand the concept of love? This is, after all, the closest we get to some sort of avenue towards discussion on the matter. Has Harry’s opinion of Xenophilius shifted in the wake of his sacrifice?

Instead, the story rushes without a second glance towards a half-baked resolution that leaves more questions than it answers. I guess it‘s meant to be both a hopeful note to end on and s cliffhanger, but ultimately, it‘s just confusing.

All in all, this story is just not interesting. It has a somewhat unique hook that is utterly wasted, with only an echo of a plot to hold the various fragments of scenes together, which results in a reading experience that could generously be described as disappointing.

9. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

What is this? This reads like it was written in ten minutes.

Your beginning doesn't carry any weight, even though we later learn it should. The spell Harry uses is almost meme-worthy. And that - was the entire mentionable plot of this fic. In less than a hundred words.

Then, in the discussion with Hermione (which is as infodump-y as discussions get) we know that Harry sacrificed his "love". Which is a clever idea, especially considering the "power he knows not". But what does that mean for him? Does he know? Does anyone know? Why didn't you tell us that *before* he cast the curse on Voldemort? How about, say, a King's Cross scene with Dumbledore where he warns him not to carry on with his plan, not to give up what seperates him from Voldemort? Why is all of this without context? Why don't we get to witness any reaction from his friends?

Then, the Luna scene, which is basically "oh, let's go look for it, even though you don't even feel like there's a change."
    First of all, *why* is there no change? This sacrifice should mean something, it should at least be influencing him. Why are you making it seem like it doesn't make a difference?
    Then, how do they want to "buy his love back"?

Or, and that question goes for this whole entry: What's the point? This is lifeless, emotionless, without conflict and it reads like you stopped writing before it could even begin.

10. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

This is very slight.

It's capably written. There's a couple of odd words that aren't right but overall speech sounds human, tags and spelling are fine. Speech marks correct and all that.

I've read the other reviews for this entry. I doubt that my opinion is particularly useful, and we've noted that it is short.

Instead of focusing on the negatives, therefore, I thought we might discuss what could you do to make this better, not specifically but generally. In terms of underlying principles.

When is a beginning not a beginning?

When it's a whole story is the simple answer.

This fic appears to be that second category of competition entry. I believe it may be the prelude to a longer story, which is perfectly fine and valid. However, you're likely competing against stories that have attempted to create a full narrative and resolution within their entries and lack of a resolution is not a selling point when you're being judged.

The thing is, whether it's a complete short story or the first section of something longer it should be a complete story in itself. Halt's probably covered this somewhere in his writing thread, and I'll link a video here and here that discuss the idea below more completely.

Your first chapter in any longer story should be an example of the story to follow and within itself contain a discrete beginning, middle and end. It should begin with a set-up, have something the main character wants to get, the conflict which stops him from obtaining it, a crisis and then either resolution or a new goal. Often, this isn't going to be something that's ultimately important to the main plot, except in a character building way, but it will be representative of issues being faced throughout the main plot that is yet to come, and therefore what you'll be getting in this book. In one of the videos above, the example given is Percy Jackson.

In the first book, he goes on a field trip, he fights a monster, he defeats it with his water powers, he meets a mythical figure who explains what happened.

In your entry here, there isn't a complete story within a story, even if this is only the opening. You invested very little in set-up, showing only the key difference in a canon scene, but not all the important events that must have occurred to get there. You show what the problem is, but the conflict in obtaining that want and the consequences of that conflict and the alteration of Harry's goal or need isn't shown. Which brings me to my next point.

When is a story not a story?

In the words of Ultron, in Avenger's 2, it's when 'you want to write a meaningful protagonist, but you don't want him to change'.

The most important truth in any story is that character = story. That's true for everything. Now I'm not saying every principal character needs a character arc or a tragic history. Marty Mcfly and Paddington Bear don't and they're great. But there does need to be character change in someone.

Everything else is 'your' particular fancy. Most of us here aren't romance nuts, we like big wands and big spells a lot of the time. Conversely, there are a lot of women that vastly prefer the archetypal trashy romance story beats over anything resembling copy-editing or realistic dialogue.

The central unifying principle, therefore, is that the events of the story serve to change someone who is experiencing them from them at the start to them at the end.

If you can figure out who they want to be, then who they need to be, you can shape the events of your story to get them there. You can create someone with motivations who has a problem that prevents them from getting there easily. If you can create a character arc that is meaningful and resonant, you can use any story act structure, and graft on whatever plot you want, because ultimately they're the same thing. And if you've done character right, then you've done story right.

In fanfiction, so many stories are bland because people focus on the action scenes and the powers, but if the character has no risk and no reward, no stakes, there is no impact on the character or others, how can we care? How can we like them, or relate to them, or be fascinated by them?

Another way to express this, from a different perspective is that story = theme. And that theme is the moral or psychological question that drives the story, the question that the character themselves struggles with. This video on true detective and seven really sums it up.

If your story question is 'can they catch the killer?', then your thematic question might be 'Does fighting evil create more evil in the world?' and you can answer yes, no and in some ways with your various protagonist, antagonist and supporting characters. This might be a helpful way to think about your story, because if your main question was, can Harry find love, you may be better able to realise your plot events, by understanding what thematic question you want to ask about love itself. If it is left ill-defined then that will translate into your prose, as it has in this story.

Ultimately, this sounds hard, and it's harder than coming up with events because it's a little more abstract. But if you can figure out what the point of your story is you can then come up with events that show why that point is the conclusion to your question.

---

I'm sure this would've been better if you hadn't rushed. I'm reluctant to be more specific about your prose and specific skills, because I don't think you'd make them again if you plotted out what you were trying to achieve more thoroughly. Your writing may have flaws or not, but there's not much way to know when your entry is this short and this nebulous. The most fundamental advice would be slow down, and be more thoughtful. I'm sure if you weren't being speedy you wouldn't have used that incantation, you would've written much more than you did, and you would've written character dialogue that wasn't entirely expository.

If you remember that your characters should be theme and your themes should be characters, then your plot will kinda' naturally occur.

Best of luck. Hope there's something of use in here for you.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  11. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    There's not really an awful lot to say about this, because as everyone else has said, there's not a lot of it. In and of itself, that's not necessarily a bad thing; I've read shipping fics in the past of similar length which have at least managed to hit the 'pleasure button', so to speak, through general cuteness, a couple of nice lines, decent writing, what have you. This...doesn't quite land on any of those, although I didn't find it badly written particularly.

The bad has been extensively covered, so I'll simply say two things more: first, no matter how short it is, you did at least submit something, which is more than many, including myself, managed, so points for some effort, at least. Second, whatever I might say about the execution, this actually has the best story hook of the lot, for my money. I'd be very interested in reading a full version of this, with a bit of polishing up to go with it. Hopefully that's still a possibility?

12. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I feel akin to a tuna struggling to jump out of a boat here. There's a lot to unpack here, but I don't want to really hit you over the head again and again. What is clear is that there is a gem, a speck of an idea here that should be the start of something, but there are many things that should've been changed entirely. A first draft:

I hope that helps.

13. Stealthy

Stealthy Groundskeeper

What? That's it?

Honestly I could probably end the review there, because there's the crux of it. Exposition scene could've been done less blatantly, and spell name is silly, but I'll give credit that the end had a hook. But it wasn't actually a hook, it was an ending, and so this isn't a story but rather just a cocktease.

By all means, write something short. It can easily hit, especially with this genre. But there's just... there's just nothing here but a neat concept. It's not even a concept explored, just one presented, and that sucks. If you're short on time, write something that fits the short length you can get out in that time. We've had plenty of such entries before and plenty were good. Yeah, easier said than done, but at least you'd submit something that feels complete, meanwhile this is like maybe 20% of an entry.

Overall rather disappointing.

14. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was on board with this until it ended where the second scene of many should have been. I'm finding it hard to say something substantial about this, because there's barely any substance, but let's look at what is there.

On the technical side, I find no faults, so well done there, although zero mistakes is kind of the minimum required with a piece this short. Luna's line about buying back the love Harry lost/sold was something I imagine Luna saying... but then it's over.

I will say that you have a very good hook. Someone might dismiss it as laughable, but sacrificing your ability to love to defeat Voldemort fits the HP world perfectly. I can almost imagine the peculiar adventure Harry and Luna would go on to buy back Harry's love. I liked this piece as a setup to a bigger story, but as a whole story, it's severely lacking.

15. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

At just under 500 words this story illustrates why I don't want to have a word count minimum for this competition. It's quite possible to tell an engaging short story in less than 500 words.

This one isn't quite there for me, however. I see what you were going for, and I think that might be a solid concept to pursue, but... (1) as written I don't feel this is a romance, and (2) I think it would be better served by adding one more scene.

Let's summarize?

Harry defeats Voldemort by giving up his ability to love. Luna is determined to help him regain this ability, and tells him so.

Those are essentially the two scenes, and in order to be a romance and complete the narrative arc I guess I wanted to see a third scene in which Harry either has or hasn't found love.

But in my personal opinion (which you should feel free to ignore if you edit this) why not consider something along the lines of the following scenes:
    1. A scene to set-up the fact that Harry and Luna are a couple. Could mirror the scene in canon where Harry quietly tells Ginny goodbye without actually talking to her or you could have them interacting, whatever.
    2. Edited version of your first scene, where Harry defeats Voldemort.
    3. Edited version of your second and third scenes, where Harry explains what he gave up and where Luna objects.
    4. A fourth scene in which you polish off the story by showing Luna having succeeded.
    I think that would give it an actual narrative arc and let you classify it more as a romance. They're dating, there's a problem, the problem is fixed. You could add in a little more there, to show the progression of the relationship if you wanted, but I think the above would make this a very solid short story coming in at under 1000 words.

As it is... Luna's voice is pretty good, with the vague "You've lost something, shall we find it?" bit. But all in all I feel that your story is missing the first and last scenes it needs to shine.

That said, I'm glad you wrote it. I think with a little work it'll be a solid piece to put up on ffnet and be proud of. But as it is... well, I don't think it's done. But thank you for getting it together for the competition, and double thank you for being the first to submit something truly 'short' to this thing.

Red