1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Q2 2019 - Story Competition

Discussion in 'Q2 2019' started by Ched, Mar 30, 2019.

?

How many prompts could Polly pick if a parrot could pick a prompt?

Poll closed Apr 4, 2019.
  1. Daphne Greengrass

29 vote(s)
    42.0%
  2. "You track a wolf, you track a dog - pretty soon you know the difference."

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. Azkaban

29 vote(s)
    42.0%
  4. "I saw the time knife?!"

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Congratulations to the winner - Daphne Greengrass’s Ten Tips to Tranquility

Congratulations also to the runner-up - Entry #4!

Go post here for further discussion of this competition!
    == == == == == == == ==
    And the prompt for Q2 2019 is... EITHER Daphne Greengrass OR Azkaban!

If you're coming into this after all the prompt voting was done then to summarize, well, there was a tie followed by a second vote to sort out how to deal with said tie. Choices were essentially both prompts, either prompt, or two competitions. 'Either' won by a decent margin.

== == == == == == == ==
    A few notes on Daphne Greengrass.

She's only mentioned in a single line in canon, and I've included it below. This is the sum total of what we know about her from canon:
    Hermione’s name was called. Trembling, she left the chamber with Anthony Goldstein, Gregory Goyle and Daphne Greengrass. Students who had already been tested did not return afterwards, so Harry and Ron had no idea how Hermione had done.

So she's even more of an OC than I had realized before this competition. From other legit sources we have things like the movies, the play, and JKR's notes, which imply her name might have been Queenie originally, that she was in Slytherin, and that her sister had some sort of genetic blood curse.

And, like @Sey mentioned, there are very clear tropes in fanon that readers expect to be followed when Daphne shows up. Apparently she's the Ice Queen of Slytherin - so read up on that (or discuss it in this thread) if like me you haven't read much of that characterization.

But for your entry? Write her however you want. But be aware that many reviewers may judge your story based on whether or not you follow the expected fanon tropes, and that's both fair and fine for them to do.

== == == == == == == ==​

Welcome to the Q2 2019 Story Competition! Are you ready for this?! We've had some great entries and phenomenal feedback from the last few rounds of this competition, and I'm excited to see that trend continue and grow.

Word count limit: 17.5k max (no minimum)
    Deadline: June 14th
    Voting: June 14th - 26th

Joe picked two of these prompts as the previous winner. Red picked one as our last runner-up. I selected the final option from the prompts thread, even though I couldn't give two shits about Daphne personally. The prompts that are in quotation marks are first line prompts - meaning if that prompt is selected then the first line must be that line.

Send your stories to @Xiph0 once you're done. Authors will be kept anonymous between the two of us, and I will not know who you are until after the competition has ended. Feel free to claim credit for your story if you want it but we'll keep it confidential otherwise.

Polish your story up before you send it if you have time. Don't put it in WbA (obviously) but feel free to find a beta who will keep quiet. Sometimes people might guess which story is yours. That's okay - just don't advertise. And if you're the one that figures out who one of the authors is? Keep your mouth shut and avoid biasing others.

Voting Rules
    • Read and review all entries, leaving at least 200 words of useful feedback.
      • Put the bulk of your review into a spoiler tag.
    • After you have read and reviewed ALL entries, post in this thread with your top three stories ranked.
      • Please link to your reviews when you do this.
    A guide on "how to review" in general is available here. We'd prefer that you not bias yourself by reading other reviews before making your own, but that choice is yours.

One of the rewards for authors participating in this competition is the feedback, critique, and overall useful commentary on their work. Don't dial it in. If you don't know how to leave useful feedback then comment on the plot, pacing, characters, prompt usage, and anything else that comes to mind. You'll find that 200 words flies by.

If you rank a story as #1 it will get 3 points, #2 will get 2 points, and #3 will get 1 point. Highest score wins. There will always be a winner. There may or may not be a runner up, depending on the number of entries and how close they are.

Note: If you have no intention of even trying to write a story, please don't vote. The poll is meant for authors who want to participate whether they end up finishing a story or not. If you think you might write, vote. If you know you won't, don't. You have 5 days.

Note2: Got an idea for a future prompt? Put it in this thread!

Note3: I don't bite. If you have an issue with how the competition is run and whether or not it's unfairly biased in some way, PM me.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  2. Nexis

Nexis Third Year

High Score:
    I voted Azkaban. I'm not really a fan of the two first line prompts and I don't care much for Daphne. But whatever the prompt is, I'll still write.

3. Ched

*starts brainstorming ways to get all four prompts into a single story*

Daphne is a werewolf being held in Azkaban. Harry hires Seamus Finnegan, legendary tracker, to trace her steps back a week before she was captured trying to break INTO Azkaban for an unknown reason. They then use the Time Knife to go back in time and prevent her capture while helping her with her original mission.

4. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    HOLY SHIRT IS THAT A THE GOOD PLACE REFERENCE

I mean, I like Daphne and all, but I think it’s pretty clear where my vote went.

5. Ched

Hmmmm - if it ties, how about both prompts must be included? :p

6. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Guys please give me Azkaban this time.

Edit: Smh, If Daphne wins I'm going to write fat!Harry/Daphne since she's the Slytherin Ice Cream.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  7. Ched

Is there any canon information on what Daphne even looks like? Does she have any speaking lines in canon? I feel like 99% of what I know about Daphne is either from JKR's notes (things like 28 families) or fanon and not from canon.

Edit: Looking it up online seems to provide three pieces of information from canon, which are that (1) She was sorted into Slytherin, (2) she's pureblood, and (3) she took her OWLs at the same time as Hermione.

So... she's mentioned in PS/SS and OotP to provide the above information. There's a bit more info on her from other sources, like JKR directly (28 families), or that Cursed Child whatever (Astoria, her sister, had a blood curse or something), but... that seems about it.

I mean, damn. I knew she was popular in fanfic b/c she's a convenient blank slate, but that's even blanker than I realized.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  8. Microwave

Microwave Professor

She was mentioned in exactly one sentence and that's it.

9. Ched

10. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Oh, so that's why vlad thought it was the most important sentence in the canon.

11. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

26 votes... so 26 entries ? :')

~hopes~

12. Microwave

Microwave Professor

26 Daphnes yes

13. Ched

I'll try... but then I've tried to enter every time so far.

Completed stories are at 1 - the Harry discovers why Albus doesn't drink one - but it's a clusterfuck and nowhere near edited enough even for WbA. My fully outlined and half-written entries are also at 1 - and that one started as an entry for You're Bleeding on my Floor and then morphed into an entry for Death. I will be finishing that one soon, I hope, and posting in WbA.

...but I swear I tried to write for the others too...

And I post this to emphasize the last bit of the original post: Don't vote if you don't plan to at least attempt to write for the competition. Trust me, I understand if it doesn't happen, but point still stands.

14. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

If Daphne wins I'm going to write her as being half troll.

Still blond tho.

15. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I've got a couple ideas for a story about Daphne, hoping she wins this one just so I have the chance to actually write something this time around.

16. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If Daphne wins, I'm going back to my original romance-prompt from several months ago.

A decade and change after Voldemort, and suddenly Purebloods are being targeted by an unknown assailant. After a failed attempt on Draco Malfoy's life, it soon comes to light that they have a particular vendetta against the Malfoy family-- and they're willing to target anyone who is closely, or distantly, related. Enter Harry Potter, senior Auror, and his assignment to watch over Daphne Greengrass at the request of Astoria Greengrass-Malfoy.

17. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Vlad, if you are reading this on an alt, this vote is for you.

18. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Daphne is the waifu pillow of Harry Potter. You all know I'm right. Come on @vlad, prove me wrong.

He won't say a thing cause he knows I'm right.

That said, I did vote for Daphne.

19. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Time knife and wolf people, I'm going to need you to jump ship and vote for Azkaban.

20. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Weirdly enough I got an idea for Daphne now.

Not open for further replies.