1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Q4 (Part I) Story Competition!

Discussion in 'Q4 2019' started by Ched, Oct 10, 2019.

?

Prompt?! Keep in mind these stories are SHORTER than previous ones!

Poll closed Oct 14, 2019.
  1. Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain)

35 vote(s)
    57.4%
  2. Dark Lord Potter

17 vote(s)
    27.9%
  3. Time Travel (non-Harry POV)

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Congratulations to Entry #3 - Violent Delights by @FitzDizzyspells8 !

Well done as well to Entry #2 - The Luna Lovegood Guide to Making Babies!

Hey everyone! We're trying something slightly new this time around - a shorter story competition! There are a few reasons for this. One is that NaNoWriMo is around the corner and some folks might want to do that -- either as a cheater (writing a short story instead of a novel) or in addition to writing a short story. Another is that December is always a bit busy and not the best time for competitions. If we do a Part2 to Q4 it will be flash and voting will be done via poll votes (rather than forcing reviews).

In 2020 Q1, Q2, & Q3 will back to our normal format (which has so far worked well) unless there is significant desire to change it up.

Now, without further adieu...

Welcome to the Q4 2019 Story Competition! (Part 1?)

Topic(s): ???

Word count: 2500 to 5000 words
    This is a traditional short story length (more or less). Quite a few Sci-Fi/Fantasy contests (such as the Hugo and Nebula) classify short stories as <7500 words. A lot of other calls for stories request those of 2500+ or (in terms of flash) <1000. Having a forced range to work within is something new (and perhaps quicker to write).

Deadline: November 17th (Leonids Meteor Shower) at midnight Eastern time. This means you get the entirety of the 17th to polish your story.
    [​IMG]

Voting: November 17th - November 30th

Send your stories to @Xiph0 once you're done. Authors will be kept anonymous between the two of us, and I will not know who you are until after the competition has ended. Feel free to claim credit for your story if you want it but we'll keep it confidential otherwise.

Feel free to use beta-readers but don't put your competition entry in WbA until after voting has ended. If you figure out who one of the entrants is then don't tell everyone else.

Voting Rules
    • Read and review all entries, leaving at least 200 words of useful feedback.
      • Put the bulk of your review into a spoiler tag.
    • After you have read and reviewed ALL entries, post in this thread with your top three stories ranked.
      • Please link to your reviews when you do this.
    A guide on "how to review" in general is available here. We'd prefer that you not bias yourself by reading other reviews before making your own, but that choice is yours.

One of the rewards for authors participating in this competition is the feedback, critique, and overall useful commentary on their work. Don't dial it in. If you don't know how to leave useful feedback then comment on the plot, pacing, characters, prompt usage, and anything else that comes to mind. You'll find that 200 words flies by.

If you rank a story as #1 it will get 3 points, #2 will get 2 points, and #3 will get 1 point. Highest score wins. There will always be a winner. There may or may not be a runner up, depending on the number of entries and how close they are.

Note2: Got an idea for a future prompt? Put it in this thread!

Note3: I don't bite. If you have an issue with how the competition is run and whether or not it's unfairly biased in some way, PM me.

Note4: If we do a flash competition later we will not force the required review word counts.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  2. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Going with Foreign Magical Region on this one, because the only thing that springs to mind with Dark Lord Potter right now is Emerald Mirror's antagonist, and I've played with Time Travel too often in my snippets to feel any interest in the subject.

Also, very pleased with this shorter word count.

3. Ched

FWIW - my internet at home still isn't working well, so I'm on my work laptop whilst at work (which makes me uncomfortable). If someone wants to help out by making a countdown timer again that'd be great. I can sort it out for next time but right now I need to get back to work, hah!

4. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    As a (sadly) former resident of the beautiful German city of Freiburg and in the proud Victorian tradition of periodical stories set in the Black Forest, I‘m going with the Foreign Magical Regions prompt as well.

5. Dirty Puzzle

Dirty Puzzle Seventh Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Foreign magical relations appeals to me because of the word count. Time-travel as a one shot or short story has been done as well as I think it can be, and because the limit isn't 17.5k for this, a longer story wouldn't have room. Same goes for Dark Lord Potter, imo. Foreign magical relations spans so much while also offering the ability to write great exchanges that aren't so plot-intensive.

6. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Just to clarify, does 'Foreign Magical Regions' imply that the story should go massively AU and explore a different magical culture? (e.g., what is magic like in Timbuktu?)

Or does it also include canon characters and events (e.g, Fleur's life in France, LV's time in Albania, etc.) that take place elsewhere but don't necessarily put the different culture front and center?

7. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

I suspect, yes.

(Do as you please)

8. Microwave

Microwave Professor

countdown clock
    [​IMG]

9. Ched

As always this is left up to the authors and readers. We didn’t define what constituted meeting the ‘Death’ prompts specifically and won’t here either.

Anything related to a foreign region will technically meet the prompt.

But as some reviewers may use how well the prompt is applied as part of their judging criteria it may help those trying to win to go further in exploration than others.

But if you just want to write for fun then you do you with a minimum of foreign inclusion.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  10. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No Time Travel for me - I've got too many already.

11. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Foreign Magical Relations ftw.

Leers at Beauxbaton / Durmstrang

12. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Hem-hem. 'Foreign Magical REGIONS,' young man. Someone needs to get his mind out of the gutter. (Just kidding. I'm down for some Beauxbatons smut. We deserve to know what really happened inside that magnificent French carriage).

13. Ched

... just realized this prompt might prompt Fleur writers to emerge from the woodwork. Hold on while I change my vote.

14. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

We are inevitable. Fleur writers unite! You have nothing to lose but your self respect.

15. Ched

Having difficulty with ideas on this one, which is rare for me. I always have good (imho) story ideas for these comps but this one...

• I have zero desire to write adult protagonists.
    • Most feasible foreign areas for canon kids to be in are France, Bulgaria, maybe Germany, or the Triwizard schools. All of which might be overdone.
    • I don’t want a non canon protagonist.
    • I don’t see a good reason to put into a short story for a <15 year old Harry/Trio to be in a country other than those listed above.
    ... time to really brainstorm

16. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Would a Magical International Space Station sufficiently satisfy the prompt if you squint hard enough? Rather doubtful but it popped into my head last night. A nice colony floating around up there likes Hogsmeade(In Space!!!), only subject to the ICW's ultimate authority. Pitch in a nice murder mystery and... profit?

17. Ched

I mean sure - I’d say it counts. Whether reviewers felt it counted as an amazing use of the prompt would depend on how you wrote it.

18. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I'm actually writing an HP fic that is set outside Britain, so that choice made me chuckle. I ended up picking it because I can write a short story that is set in my world as a good way to deep dive into some of my OCs. It would be a good exercise if I have time.

19. Ched

Poll technically isn’t over but, well... we have a clear front-runner!

Anyone feel like spit balling ideas in here? Don’t want to give your own plot/setting away but tempted to just start throwing ideas out there hoping that I’ll spark something for someone else.

Been reading a bit of JKRs world building just now. I’m on the phone so I won’t link all the various pages but here’s one (you can find others in the same section of that website - I think it’s just stuff transplanted from the old Pottermore site).

https://www.wizardingworld.com/writing-by-jk-rowling/wizarding-schools

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  20. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Moody tracking a fleeing Death Eater through Europe after the first war.

English Ministry officials twisting arms to have the Triwizard hosted at Hogwarts.

Native American magical society fighting against the colonists.

A horrifically Australian Quidditch match.

Harry and whoever on their Grand Tour after the second war.

ICW session during Voldemort's reign.

Magical Steve Irwin and his dragon Floo show.

George Washington the wizard being very unsubtle and his friends face palming in the background as the muggles assume his exploits are down to luck.

Hagrid is brought in as an expert to help International Magic Police agents bust a creature smuggler.