1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Tower of God Challenges

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Snowl, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Snowl

Snowl Squib

There aren't enough Tower of God fics out there so here are some challenges:

#1: After the 2nd Floor Test ends Headon appears before Kun Aguero Agnis and gives him an offer he can't refuse: to go back to the past and save his best friend. But at what cost?

#2: Rachel is sent to Lero-ro's district and Baam to Quant's.

#3: Yuri never learns about the irregular [Baam] on the base floor.

#4: The story of Zahard entering the Tower and establishing his empire.

I have some ideas how I think the stories should work out but I intentionally left them open-ended.

2. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

[​IMG]

if this is evidence of typical quality, I'm fairly sure there are reasons there are very few "Tawer of Gad'" fics. You may be better off asking for Cyanide and Happiness fics...

3. Thyestean

Thyestean Slug Club Member

4. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Pretty good? Tower of God is fucking AMAZING. Read it now. Also, more Baam/Yuri fics now plz.

5. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

This would end the story so fast, it wouldn't even be funny. Baam would still try to rush in and he'd get eaten since the only reason he even survived was because of Yuri's assistance.

He has no way to break the sphere or hurt the Eel otherwise.

6. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

Tower of God is one of my favorite things, more fics for it can only be a good thing.

And while we're on the subject, does anyone know any good fics for this? I've been looking for them, but have yet to find any.

7. Snowl

Snowl Squib

Headon wouldn't send him to his death. The test would be different. All Headon has to do is make one hard enough so that Rachel would avoid it, but easy enough for Baam to pass on his own.

I'd be interested in seeing how everything would play out without the whole Black March subplot, which is a central pillar of the first season.

Although, I suppose any large changes wouldn't make all that much sense given that Yu Han Sung is still behind the scenes plotting away.

And art improves with practice. Who would have thought?

8. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Prompt #2 seems the most interesting to me. Just having it to where Baam doesn't meet Koon where he does would change everything so much. Bonus points if Rachel gets eaten by Rak.

9. Tesla

Tesla Auror

I would like to see a good Tower of God fic, but it's such a convoluted series that creating a story where Baam's path is altered would be very complicated. I think most would go for a one shot, or perhaps an extended story based on a legendary ranker we don't know much about or something. Like a background story on Mazino, for example.

10. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

It would be tough. I don't think I could even begin to do SIU's work justice myself. I tend to only want to write fanfics for series where I believe the canon plot could be improved on in various ways. So, things like HP and Naruto. When it comes to works like Tower of God and other manga/manwha at the top of my list, I'm more thinking 'there's not really anything I would want to see done differently.' Other than Baam getting his rightful harem of Zahard princesses, of course.

But some ideas I could see making decent stories:

A. Rachel ends up taking the plunge alongside Baam at the end of season one. Either she slips during her crowning act of treachery, or he instinctively turns and grabs onto her as he starts to fall. Either way, both of them fall into FUG's clutches at the bottom of the hole while Koon and the rest are left without any definitive unifying force to induce them to climb together.

B. Voile somehow succeeds in besting Love in the Untrustworthy Room arc, winning the right to continue up the tower by himself. Alternatively, a setup where Wangnan is unable to convince Viole to join forces in time to prevent Lurker from carrying out his plan and winning the test.

C. Baam wins the crown game, and gets to retain control of Black March and also gets Anak's Green April.

D. Yuri and her team of Rankers arrive at the last exam in time to rendezvous with Baam according to her plans.

11. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

I agree with LT2000. Writing Tower Of God fanfiction is more about exploring canon divergences than making the plot better. That's pretty much impossible seeing as how SIU is a God. :awesome

This would be intriguing, but complex. And we'll probably see him pussyfooting around Rachel if he's written in character. She was always his biggest weakness. And somehow I dread to see their reunion as is, because I have nasty feeling he's not really angry at her.

That being said, I ship Baam/Hwa for all eternity. Because fuck Rachel.

12. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Same. Not trying to derail this into a ToG general thread, but I have been dreading the Baam/Rachel reunion for a long time. Because I am completely convinced he will end up forgiving that sorry bitch and denying us all the satisfaction of seeing Rachel have to reap what she's sown. My only hope is that Koon wreaks his own vengeance upon her before that happens.

As for my shipping...I don't really care much for Hwa Ryun either. She's every bit as manipulative as Rachel is. She is just more experienced and thus goes about it differently.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  13. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

I see your point, raise you a couple of challenges to stay on point, and drop a hint that maybe we need a general discussion thread.

#1: Write about Phantaminum's invasion of Zahard palace, his kick assity, and the subsequent disappearance.

#2: Enryu's rise through the tower. And how he managed to kill the guardian on floor 43.

I know those are probably extremely important plot points, considering SIU's writig style, but speculation is practically a fanfic authors job!

14. meev

meev Groundskeeper

I don't think the first one is. SIU said that Phantaminum appearing would destroy the entire Tower of God story, which suggests to me that he (as an Exis) is just there as lore to connect ToG to the larger TUS universe, and will never actually appear or be elaborated on at all, in depth at least. Although I suppose you could also take it as him being the end boss of the story.

Enryu though is definitely a plot point, since he's stated as becoming a regularly reappearing character later in the story.

I think Mazino would probably be the easiest Irregular to write about, since we know his personality, abilities, motivation and some of his major friends/allies.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  15. Tesla

Tesla Auror

I totally get you man. In the cases of HP and Naruto, you have fantastic universes that ultimately weren't done justice by the original creators. Thus, you have a world of possibilites and the motivation to actually use it. With Tower of God, there's just nothing I could think of creating - I'm too in love with what SIU is doing. Like I said, maybe a oneshot, or a story with character's SIU hasn't yet fleshed out that much, but I couldn't touch Baam's story.

16. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

That's the other thing though, I'm generally not interested in reading about (or writing about) anyone but the main character. And as much as SIU regularly insists that Baam isn't the main character and ToG doesn't have a main character...sorry, Baam is the main character. So I doubt I'd ever come out of 'retirement' to write anything for Tower of God.

17. Tesla

Tesla Auror

Yeah, I have the same thing with fanfiction - I very rarely have any interest in something where the main character is sidelined. And that's a shame man, I was really salivating over Stain. Hope something manages to grab your interest in the near future.

18. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Tower of God doesn't really work towards fanfiction because there's really no greater universe building; it doesn't have a sandbox in which to play. Don't get me wrong, I really like ToG and find the style works for it, but the story is told in a series of tests to the protagonists and their finding solutions. The overall world is hinted at but never really explored to the point where it reaches somewhat of a fanfiction line in the sand; where it takes less effort to use an established setting than to make your own.

19. meev

meev Groundskeeper

I don't really agree with that. Just read the wiki if you want an example of how much stuff there is in the universe that we might never see but is pretty heavily explained anyway (either in collections of throwaway lines or the authors blog, or even his twitter for stuff about the characters), and that's without even getting into TUS as a whole, which has a bunch of other stories set within it that were written before ToG.

The lore seems to grow at a rate much faster than the story itself. I think the problem is what LT said, we want to read and write about the main character, and it doesn't matter how fleshed out the universe is if it's hard to even find a logical way for the MC to interact with it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  20. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I remembered this thread all these months later. I am back with more ideas, and might even try to write one of them (or one of the challenges previously offered) if you're all unfortunate enough. And if I'm not too lazy, which is unlikely but there is a chance.

1. Urek Mazino hangs around Zygeana long enough after curbstomping Viole to ask his teammates a little about him and why he was so desperate to fight against impossible odds. He learns enough to put together that Viole might be the lost person Yuri is desperately seeking and takes him away.

2. Androssi has the same burst of whimsy that Koon did after lecturing Dan, and asks Emile about 25th Baam. And gets the same answer, and perhaps more since Emile wants to help a lonely girl get the one thing she wants.

3. Viole remains inside his hotel room on the night of the One Shot, One Opportunity game and thus does not meet Traveler or get separated from his team.

4. Koon gets blasted in another direction as the Hand of Arlen explodes, and lands inside FUG's golem alongside (or perhaps in place of) Ran and Novick.

5. Viole doesn't give the detonator back to Xia Xia after reclaiming it from Novick, averting the Hand of Arlen catastrophe altogether.

If anybody cares and wants to see one of these written, say something and I might oblige.