1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mountainous Mafia #2: Murder in Vanilla Town

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Vira, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Asmodeus

Asmodeus Squib

.. What? I think you're confusing me with someone (maybe Fable or GH or Beru?). That doesn't sound like me. I don't make absolute statements like that, and don't think I've thought "miner couldnt possibly be town" even once this whole game

As for 708 (I assume that's my Jari vote), we weren't "almost at hardlynch". I waited on my Fluff wagon as long as humanly possible (and clearly said in advance that I'd only vote Jari if I was needed to obtain softlynch, and that I'd do so at 2:58). I was driving, and thought we had five votes, so I voted to get a lynch in.

Someone else posted at the same exact moment as me, but that's irrelevant. I don't see how that's a basis for a scumread tbh. Explain it to me. What motivation could I, as scum, possibly have for voting Jari there.
    It'd be one thing if he flipped scum (you could then wildly scream about me switching only to look good when he flipped scum), but he didn't. I can't grt townpoints by switching to a mislynch, so where do you get off by calling it disgusting, and why haven't you mentioned it this phase if you think it's so bad?

2. Asmodeus

Asmodeus Squib

How are there this few posts since last night? It's supposed to be EoD!

3. GeneralHankerchief

GeneralHankerchief Muggle

I've been completely swamped at work today and will be able to enter the thread with around an hour before EOD.

4. Asmodeus

Asmodeus Squib

5. Beruru

Beruru First Year

High Score:
    A bear has a terrible feeling about this.

6. Delphine

Delphine First Year

I've seen GH the town leader (mash) and GH the twitchy D1 scum lynch of Wild Card Champs 2.0.

In this game I often have had the impression that he is detached and going through the motions of solving the game. I also feel that he is, in terms of temperament and focus, very similar to scum!me. Hyperfocused and hyperwordy about small details. Exhibitionist w/r/t the ~townie work~ being shown to the thread, to compensate for a lacking broader narrative.

The main things that made me feel that way:

This had so much ~presentation~ in both its setup and it's closing. I feel like it's forced and was designed to get townread because the long explanation wasn't asked for, and the final line of it was weirdly conciliatory. It's a very long-winded "you're good," but it wasn't followed up with more of a test or conversation. The purpose of the second post seems to be about showing off depth as opposed to finding a way to find something that IS meaningful in the game.

GH later brought up that he used the exact same "I promise" wording in another game as town when setting up a question, but when I looked at that other meta, I actually felt worse about his reaction test here. His discussion of the purpose of the test was much flowier/connected/idk. It made me feel like he set up the reaction test here in the first place BECAUSE the wording was taken straight from a town game.

He then had two traps related to Jari. The first one was the process Asmo really liked for some reason, but I interpreted in the way Rubicon/Jari did, so didn't do much for me.

The second I addressed better and more succinctly here than I can now:
    https://forums.darklordpotter.net/t...er-in-vanilla-town.37234/page-24#post-1017548

-

This interaction started off hollow and went OTT to me. It's like he went, oh shit, I should be working with my top townreads now, that's something I do as town

The yay for mindmelds! in particular sounds fake to me.

I also found his commentary at EOD1 awkward and overly austere, with this being the worst of it

I have felt better about his Fluff and miner content this phase than anything from D1 (I had trouble following his beruru stuff, not sure if a me problem or a him trying to be overly fancy with deep tea leaf site meta thoughts). A couple of things have given me the impression that he picks up a lot in efficacy maybe regardless of alignment later in the game.

So I'm in a weird place where GH is my top lynch but also articulated the reasoning for my #2 scumread better than I could??
    --- Post automerged ---
    OK good that went through. Hello from Supermac
    --- Post automerged ---
    What else. I found the read from start of D2 that GH was ignoring Fable for the day due to Fable pushing Fluff the previous day out of place.

7. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Mountainous Mafia #2 Votal 2.7

Miner [3] - Beru, Rubicon, Asmo.
    GH [3] - Delphine, Jan, Fluff.
    Fluff [2] - Fable, GH.
    Beru [1] - Miner.
    Asmo [1] - Rubicon.

With nine players alive, it takes five votes to soft-lynch and seven votes to hard-lynch!

Day Two ends on September 18 at 3pm PST.

One and a half hours left!

8. Delphine

Delphine First Year

I'm out for tonight. Make good choices

9. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

I am taking a shower and then you have me for the hour.
    Technically until the day is over, but that doesn't rhyme at all.

Nothing spectacular to add until then.
    Liked miner coming back into the thread and liked delphines case for the most part.

The miner asmo stuff feels a bit off, but I have not decided if that is good or bad.

10. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I'm here, should be around until deadline. Had the world's most hectic morning.

Going to read over Miner's stuff.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I'm feeling a town core of beru, Fable and Jan.

Lynching Asmo today is probably stupid.

11. Beruru

Beruru First Year

High Score:
    ... ?

Was this an option for you?

12. GeneralHankerchief

I'm here, skimming back.

13. Asmodeus

Asmodeus Squib

Driving back atm. Might be down for something spicy, will check in when I get back (2:40ish ETA, got delayed. Still cool with a Miner lynch)

14. Rubicon

Of course.

Okay I'm going to try to figure out GH in the next hour. That's probably the most useful thing I could do right now. GH, if you can drop some content it would help a lot.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Because it's hard to work out who would be Miner's partner if not GH, with my PoE.

15. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

Yeah but the timing would have been exactly right for a bus at the time.

16. GeneralHankerchief

Okay, I really hate talking about self-meta but winning the game comes first.

---

As you all know, this is my first game on DLP (hi I'm GH and I'm a mafia degenerate. "Hi GH!"). There's a few things I've known about this site before I joined and I tried to personally adjust my meta in order to what I thought would fit in better here. Not sure if this has gone to plan.

First and all, far and away the most contact I've had with DLPers is, in order, Newcomb and Eido. Nobody else remotely comes close. These two players have shaped my view of what DLP's meta is about. As you all probably know, they have a certain playstyle and emphasis on things they look for, most notably a player's thought process. I've talked about this before, but perhaps not this coming part: I made a conscious decision to emulate that style of play in this game before signing up here.

A few people, Delphine most prominently, have pushed me for sounding wolfy with some of my posts due to overexplanation. This is where it's coming from.

This has gone against my own recent trend. My meta over the past several months, starting with The Thing (can't be bothered to link everything with time running out), has had me trending towards short posts of few lines with no capitalization and very little punctuation, as I believe this has allowed me to wolf with more success while still keeping my generally good track record as town (so far, it has). Obviously, this is a no-go with site rules here. So right now with these posts I'm kind of swimming against my own tide.

There's other little minor niggles, such as this being my first time playing on a site that uses Xenforo, but the above paragraphs are the main point of it.

--------

This is the last time I'm going to talk about this while the game's going on. Either you accept this explanation or you don't. In the remaining 34 minutes or however long I'm going to try to get some last reads/thoughts down that actually pertain to other people.

17. Miner

Miner Order Member

If it wasn't you it was GH with regards to the "Miner can't be town " thing.

My reasons for disliking the vote only applied yesterDay.

Yesterday I thought there was an OK chance of Jari being scum. So, like you outlined, it looked bad that you swapped.

ToDay, after knowing he flipped town, I thought that you were actually fine for that vote until I realized that the vote shift was completely inconsequential and yet for some reason you moved. So I was just confused and called it disgusting to see what you had to say about it. But since apparently you were distracted (driving and posting on a message board is a really bad idea though), then it's nothing.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I don't know GH's meta at all but that sounds townie?

Someone else chime in please.

18. GeneralHankerchief

I'm 99% sure I already explained my thoughts on Rubicon/Fluff, but here they are again summed up:

Fluff does not look good, period, and the fact that he might be allowed to live given his content is reprehensible.

Rubicon looks generally good except for when it pertains to Fluff, there was stuff I pointed out earlier, if I die then go look for it.

Therefore my preference today would be to lynch Fluff. I think he has a good chance of flipping as mafia in a vacuum anyway, and if he does then in my opinion Rubicon is a very likely partner, again due to interactions.

If Fluff flips town then I have pretty much nothing damning against Rubicon and he can go safely in my town pile.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Asmo's still town. Beru's still town.

Jan's still probably town.

Rubi's town unless Fluff is mafia, then he might be mafia.

If Fluff and Miner both flip mafia then Fable's coasting and he's almost a lock wolf.

Delphine is probably just town.

19. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

Pretty sure you wanted to say if they both flip town.

20. Rubicon

Can you walk me through the me-fluff thing again? Is it based purely on d1 content or what?

I'm wondering if this is an attempt to tie me to your partner.