1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Q3 Competition - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'Q3 - Sept - Redux Deluxe' started by Ched, Jul 17, 2020.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Welcome to the Q3 2020 Dresden Files Competition!

“You can't plan for everything or you never get started in the first place.”
    Changes by Jim Butcher

With the release of Peace Talks and only a single (and very lenient) Harry Potter competition going on this quarter, it's about time we dipped our toes into another fandom. A poll done a bit ago indicates there's some interest, so here goes nothing... set the building on fire folks, and make damn sure it isn't your fault.

Butcher averages about 8.5k for his short stories if we estimate 250 words per page of a standard paperback. He tends to write Dresden Files stories in first person and his short stories tend to vary with the POV character. Keeping all of this in mind, the competition guidelines are as follows.

Requirements
    1. Word count: 1,000 - 10,000 words
    2. 1st Person POV
    3. Any existing character in the Dresdenverse (no OCs)
    4. Crossovers are allowed (POV character must be from DF)
    Deadline - September 15th October 15th November 15th!

Voting

Review each story then come vote in this thread. You do not have to read an entire story to review it, but you must still write a decent review on what you do read (and it's preferred that you at least skim the full story to offer the best feedback).

Voting will be done via distribution of 5 points (subject to change if we get 4+ entries) between the entries.

Authors can vote, though not for themselves. However please consider reviewing even if you choose not to distribute points and vote - your fellow competitors are doing this in large part for the feedback they'll be getting. If you review and don't vote then yeah, it might give away the fact that you entered... but it won't tell anyone which story is yours.​

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  2. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Sweet. :D

I do hope that Peace Talks will inspire fanfics - here and elsewhere. This seems like a good start. I'm in.

3. Ched

On another note - while my page count estimates for Butcher's works were correct, I've just checked the word count for several of them and the 'standard' of 250/page doesn't really hold up. With that in mind I suspect his stories average more than the estimated 8.5k I had previously guessed at.

Doesn't change our word count target, however.

4. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I don't think I will be able to get in my entry by September 15th, and I'm not sure who else is planning on entering outside perhaps
    @Zeelthor.

I was wondering if people would be okay with pushing back the deadline until Oct 1st? Or perhaps sometime after Battle Grounds if it would make more people interested in the competition.

I'll try to make it by the 15th if people aren't interested in moving it back, but I'm not sure i'll be able to, with starting a new job and all.

5. Ched

After some discussion I've decided to extend this competition! Please inform everyone who might be competing.

The next book is out on Sept 29. Let's extend this to October 15th - a full month extra. Give us something good people.

6. Ched

BUMP!!

7. Ched

Well I have an idea. No plot yet, but an idea. General idea of what's happening, what the feel of the story will be, etc. If I can just come up with a basic plot...

I think I'm going in a strange order here. But then that happens sometimes with these comp short stories.

8. Ched

Less than a day left before you need to submit to @Xiph0 !

I had a great idea for this - was going to star [redacted] - but alas. COVID has kicked mah butt with work. Maybe I'll try to bash something out in the next 8 hours before midnight.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  9. Ched

EXTENSION!

Sadly we only had one entry, so we're extending.

I'll go ahead and get another HP one going soon, but come on folks! Where's the excitement/interest? We definitely had it at one point, let's recapture shall we?

New date: November 15th

10. Lindsey

I started a new job, and haven't had the time. I just didn't want to ask for another extention! Now that my routine is coming together, I'll try to throw my idea together.

11. Ched

I'm gonna work on mine too !

12. Lindsey

Wait, is this canceled or just not being extended again?

My goal is still to finish the fic I have started by the 15th,im just not sure if I can (im working on it right now).

13. Ched

Oh shit, my bad - we did extend it again (twice instead of once).

I'll uh, un-cancel it. I had in my mind that we went to Nov 1st, but that was the other comp. FFS I'm out of it.

14. Ched

No new Entries - so yeah, this is cancelled. We tried folks, and we appeared to have interest, but no challengers appeared.

Go enter the HP comp !

We did have one entrant - and they got a quasi award (picked one of the current HP prompts) for their participation.

Not open for further replies.