1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Q3 Interest Poll - Dresden Files?

Discussion in 'Q3 - Sept - Redux Deluxe' started by Ched, May 2, 2020.

?

If we have a Dresden comp as explained below, what's your interest level?

Poll closed May 12, 2020.
  1. I will absolutely *try* to write for it.

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. I'm 50/50 on both writing and reviewing.

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. I will plan to review but will not write.

12 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. I have no interest in either reading or writing Dresden.

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The next Dresden Files novel (Peace Talks) comes out in July.

Q3 of our competitions will be back to standard format where we have three months for a single story spanning July-Sept.

What's your interest level for writing in this? For reading? If we do this I'd like to think we'd get at least 4 entries and at least 6 reviewers (authors included).

Butcher's average word count for his short stories is around 8.5k, so I'm thinking our limit will be 10k with a minimum of 2k.

Rather than a poll to select a prompt I think I'd go with the following guidelines:

• First person
    • Existing character (non-OC)
    • Crossovers allowed
    And just let folks run wild. Criteria subject to change before the comp goes live (discuss your thoughts here).

The Harry Potter Q3 Competition would run alongside it - this is not replacing that one - so we'd have two separate three month long competitions going at the same time. One for HP and one for Dresden. Dresden would probably have a sooner 'ending' point since it could start sooner without a poll to give people time to read/review/vote for both comps.

So, level of interest?

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  2. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Not something i feel i could write personally, but i do like the idea of branching out to competitions with other fandoms (asoiaf one day!)

3. bking4

bking4 Second Year ⭐⭐

High Score:
    Just want to say, in addition to absolutely trying to write for this, dependent on how many submissions it gets and what length they are, I would also definitely try my hardest to review.

If there's 10 submission all about 8-10k, I probably won't be able to review. It's just too much for me. But if there's only 4 or 5, or a few of them come in at ~5k or so? I'd definitely try and review as well.

Also, thank you for reminding me that Peace Talks comes out in July. I WAS going to submit something to the Q2 'Heist Prompt' Competition, but now it looks like I'll be rereading Dresden Files and all the side stories from start to finish.

Again.

4. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

I'm in, read and review, because goddam it is good to have this engine running again!

5. Ched

Reviews have a 200-word count requirement (which is not as long as most people think), but there's no requirement to read the entire story.

Obviously if you're into the story it's easy to read through, but if it's (in your opinion) really bad? Just ramble about the bits that didn't work for 200-words.

Yeah you're not gonna win any reviewing prizes but there's a reason why stories need to hook people and hit the ground running. Because readers won't keep reading if they don't, and I think that's fair.

6. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I've been half-assing a dresden story already. By September I may even be able to come up with ~10k words. The problem is most of my ideas are full-sized multi-chapter works.

I'll certainly try!

7. Ched

You can write an opening to a larger story so long as it still counts as standalone.

Best example of that I can think of was one of our earlier competitions with @Joe 's entry, here. One of the lines near the end was, "Old Charlie huffed again and looked up at Harry with his Malteser eyes. Come on, that look said. Together they stepped through the door and into the Land of Faerie."

It gave a few readers the sense that it was a start to a story rather than a story in itself. But I personally felt that it stood alone just fine.

Having the potential to be continued, leaving it open for a sequel, or writing essentially a prequel, isn't the same as posting a Chapter 1.

Which it is depends upon the reviewer. Unless it's really obvious, then I'll step in.

8. Ched

This competition will run from July 15th (roughly) to September 15th (roughly)!

9. Ched

10. Ched

New deadline for this one is October 15th (extended from Sept 15th) - go write people