1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommendable Worm Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by NoxedSalvation, Nov 12, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

That Gnawing Worm, Cancer by Nugar updated, and Nugar has not lost his touch for comedy.

2. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

Obviously a coherent backstory is better than the alternative, but sometimes it just doesn't really matter to the story being told, and trying to throw in little changes to "fix" things just keeps reminding the reader that the problem exists.

3. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

In regards to Burn up he appears to have made the Arsmaster chapter an omake.

4. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

And now I'm curious what Arsemaster's power would be.

5. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Explosive flatulance.

A thinker power that finds the opponent's raw nerve.

Whatever an anti-social engineer power is called.

6. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

Burn Up updated again with a much better chapter than the previous one; it might actually be my favourite 'quiet' scene from any Worm story.

7. Biigoh

Biigoh First Year

8. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I hated his master stranger screening. He didn't convince me, as a reader, that this was how such screening might happen. The update belongs in a crack fic. The copy paste from Blade Runner and Fallout 3 only worsens his case.

He needs some taste. A sense of subtlety. And to recognise when his characters are behaving so absurdly that the readers start rejecting the reality he's crafting.

I've read the edited SB version today, and it's a little improved, although the tangent he sends the test giver on (as an attack against SB's mod decision to censor him) is eye rolling in its irrelevance and preachiness.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  9. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I can see why he wrote the scene the way he did - wanting to see peaks and troughs of emotion and reaction from a potentially mastered person (Also, I always think of BDSM when I see M/S in text). Even without a baseline for that person, I suppose it could be used to say "it looks like this person probably hasn't had anything fiddled around with upstairs", based on deviation from the norm... But I'm not sure how many trial cases they would have of dying female teenagers. Who are also parahumans, but shhhhh.

I also really dislike the way SB and SV often end up rewriting scenes that people hate. Because once the author starts rewriting, they often keep doing it. I've seen it on other sites more often, but the author starts thinking that maybe they need to clean things up, and the story just stops progressing - just the same two or three chapters polished a few times, before losing interest. And if it is as a result of a mod hammer, then you see 'fighting' back, such as the useless railing at the machine in this chapter.

I feel it could have worked much better as "And then Taylor left the master/stranger screening room, feeling quite violated. She was happy Lisa was supposedly safe, although she didn't trust the PRT to be telling the truth on that".

10. Biigoh

Biigoh First Year

When I was doing Goblin Queen's Interview with Taylor by the Protechtorate/PRT as well as the Vista fight scene, I did a rewrite because valid points were brought up... and the new scenes worked much better.

So, there are valid cases for rewrites.

11. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

That's because everything you write should be re-written. Ho ho ho.

I don't know why I enjoy giving you a hard time Biigoh. It's all bad jokes, not serious.

To be on topic. As Yak said, the new chapter in That Gnawing Worm was garbage and was re-worked to be below average... but have a terrible feel to it instead. It was really a shame, but it is written by the guy who wrote People Lie. The story all about non-humans pretending to be humans.

12. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That's completely true. Plot holes, OOCness, shoddy scenes in general - they can all be reworked.

But I've often, not always, found that doing a rewrite means the writer starts looking at the other scenes they've written, that other people have complained about. Or that they themselves weren't sure of.
    After all, rewriting was the correct decision once.

This often, but not always, means that new chapters dry out, either for a while, or for good - the author realises they should just rewrite the whole thing, so goes dark for a few weeks.

13. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

14. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

It has a shipping chart listed in the OP, is it full of "shipping" and such

15. Angush

Angush Squib

High Score:
    I haven't read it, but did you actually look at the chart in question? 'cos the only two romantic attractions there that are not canonical are The OC > Taylor and Sophia > Emma. And given the synopsis, I doubt Taylor and The OC will be making out on the couch anytime soon.

16. CurseOfImmortality

CurseOfImmortality Squib

High Score:
    Another update from Nugar on this! This time is an interlude from Piggot/Paladin. Lots of world building that is only being trickle-fed to us. Though I personally can't wait for them to get out of the hospital, the Taylor/Lisa interactions are the brightest parts of this fic imo.

17. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I liked it. The world is still fucked up, just in a different way. Something tells me Cauldron figured out the relationship between Eidolon and the Endbringers and they killed each other off. Scion also died somehow and that's why there are calamities, cause shards are fucking up when they bond.

18. yak

Twinning by Harbin

Taylor has Coil's power and she uses it so much that she slowly disassociates from reality. Nothing that Taylor does in the dropped timeline ever really happened and while that liberates her from consequences, she liberates herself from morality. It's humorous and quietly horrifying in equal measure.

Around the fifth chapter there's a diversion point where Taylor makes a decision on whether to save Brian's life which leads to her making meaningful connections, albeit extremely awkward and malformed, with a couple of the Undersiders. I found that I don't enjoy the new story direction as much. Taylor is getting better. Sort of. But it's too endearing with her blundering endeavours at romance and friendship.

The author wrote an omake where he diverted down the alternate path and Brian died. Taylor avenged him instead. I would have liked to see that story explored further.

The writing is good. The author handles the multiple timelines from Taylor's distorted perspective well. I wasn't confused about which timeline I was reading about even when the author is flicking back and forth between them with abandon. Taylor's changing mindset is handled well, often played for humour.

It's a decent read. There isn't much written, but there's enough to enjoy and the author is updating every few days.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  19. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

Unless I'm going crazy, the author did expand on that timeline but put it on SV.

20. yak

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted. It gets dark. Taylor's on the verge of a major melt down.

Not open for further replies.