Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Library > The Alternates
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP PatronusCharm Banner

Old 04-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
Pasta Sentient
Second Year

The Star Empire by RahXephon - M/NC-17

Title: The Star Empire
Author: RahXephon
Rating: M / NC-17
Genre: Sci-Fi/Adventure
DLP Category: Dark Arts/Time Travel
Pairing: Possible serious Harry/OC...Also a Rapist Harry

FF.net Stats:
Chapters: 65
Words: 382,420
Updated: September 4, 2013
Published: October 24, 2012

Summary: A reviled Harry Potter was imprisoned and exiled into space. Many centuries later, he wakes up to a solar system devoid of magic, but infested with crime, piracy and corruption. He adjusts to this violent era like a fish to water. Dark!Harry, AU, OCs.

Reposted on ff.net October 2012 with almost identical content. though scenes violating ff.net's rules are removed. Apparently the author intends to continue the story.
Fanfiction.net: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8637910/...ssion-of-Magic

Review: Personally I think this fic deserves a solid 4/5 so far. The very fact that it is original and does not go the route of a crossover makes it very unique in my eyes. RahXephon's Dark Harry is a tad unbelievable at times; I would have liked a better explanation of Harry's descent into evil, but overall RahXephon meshes this Harry into a new Universe quite well. The Universe is what makes this story so unique. It is a futuristic setting but not a crossover. The OC's seem to be given some thought and I can see a good bit of character development approaching in future chapters. All in all, a good solid fic that I will be watching with interest...

Checked by Minion, January 19, 2014
Former older versions of the story have been taken down. If someone knows where to find an older copy of the story, please inform the library staff.

Last edited by Dark Minion; 01-19-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Pasta Sentient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
iLost
Dark Lord

The writing seemed decent, but there was a bit too much exposition at the start. To be honest I lost interest in it. So no rating.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
Randeemy
Headmaster

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Pairing: Possible serious Harry/OC...Also a Rapist Harry
Sounds horrendous.

Also a world devoid of magic seems rather pointless when magic is the biggest attraction of Harry Potter.

When everything seems hopeless, that's when you need to bring it. That's when you need to bring the crunch!!!
-
The Power of mint and Berries yet with a satisfying tasty crunch!
Randeemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
Tenages
Unspeakable

DLP Supporter Donor Star
The writing is simple and formulaic. The author constantly gets idioms and and such wrong, but seeing as English is his second language that's understandable to a degree. It is irritating, however, just how often it happens. In the first chapter there's far too much tell and almost no show, although that improves later. The author also severely overuses passive voice.

The plot's ludicrous and doesn't seem all that well sketched out. It would work far better as a crackfic than the serious work the author seems to be going for.

Objectively it's terrible. Normally I would rage on this fic. Despite all that for some reason it entertains me and I find it far more enjoyable than most of the stuff out there. I'm enjoying Harry in such a different setting kicking ass. Guilty pleasure I guess.

Recycle Bin worthy I think but definitely no more.

EDIT: I think the reason I like it so much is that it's very different to most of the stuff out there. The author takes it far from the traditional boundaries of Hogwarts. That takes guts and some originality and it enhances what would otherwise be a weak fic.

3/5

Last edited by Tenages; 04-06-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Tenages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
Pasta Sentient
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randeemy View Post
Sounds horrendous.

Also a world devoid of magic seems rather pointless when magic is the biggest attraction of Harry Potter.
Magic is still in the story...however Harry is the only Wizard left that we know of.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
Anarchy

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta Sentient View Post
Magic is still in the story...however Harry is the only Wizard left that we know of.
Seems like a worse version of Browncoat, of course without it being a crossover. Perhaps its a bit unfair to compare it like that.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
T3t
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I stopped reading partway through chapter 2. Severely in need of a beta who is fluent in English.
T3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
Andro
God of Magic

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I couldn't get into the flow of reading Browncoat, but this is very easily readable, despite the errors. Enjoyable. 4/5.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
Greener
Fourth Year

I like the premise behind the story - basic 'world vs Harry', but it's all after the fact (and what precisely happened after is still a mystery). I hope that the author doesn't write himself into a corner (and have to make it over-the-top to compensate) with the limits that he's placed on Harry's power, but I am glad that he's not falling into the superpower!harry trap.' And the realism he bring to the SF aspect is very appreciated.

You can see that his characters each have own motivations and background, and while some of their details can be plainly written (stated rather than revealed), he's trying to flesh out his primary ones.

It's an enjoyable read, not a favourite, but one that I'll read whenever he comes out with a new chapter. 3/5
Greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
gbbz
Fifth Year

Extremely enjoyable and well balanced. As most fan fiction stories this one would greatly benefit from a decent editor, but nonetheless not only is the basic premise sound but the execution goes well beyond average.

Harry is limited in his power and has to rely on others, which introduces several different characters. Humanity has advanced and developed in 1000 years, but has only colonized the Solar System, which brings me back to really old SCIENCE fiction stories.

All things considered, a very satisfying read that promises nice space opera candy for all of us.

4/5

Last edited by gbbz; 04-07-2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: typo
gbbz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
calutron
Death Eater

This isn't a half-bad story, strongly recommended for scifi nuts, it also comes with a fast update rate. (4/5)
calutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #12
Portus
God of Magic

Awful. Just awful. And yet I've read all 10 of the posted chapters, and I for one HATE space opera stories. I've never read a SW novel and I hated most every star trek episode I ever suffered through.

It's the guiltiest of guilty pleasures, and I'll read more if it doesn't take too long to update and/or finish. Plus I want to see Harry fuck Claris. There, I said it.
Portus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #13
gbbz
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portus View Post
Plus I want to see Harry fuck Claris. There, I said it.
We all do.
gbbz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #14
Rhys
Death Eater

I was pleasantly surprised by this. Sure there are the rampant errors, but the nifty job the author's done of world building makes up for it to me. This fic also has a concrete goal for Harry, which is something these sandbox experiences tend to lack and something that'll pay off as the story moves on.

This fic reminds me of Hotpoint's stuff more than anything else, where you know it's just popcorn but you can't stop eating it. 4/5
Old 04-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
Antivash
Until we meet again...
...Stay gold. Bang.

Send a message via AIM to Antivash
This barely qualifies as harry Potter. Its A character with only a vague resemblance to Harry in appearance and having magic. To be completely honest, this wouldn't be a terrible story if it was posed as ORIGINAL fiction, vs Fan fiction.

That said, its a terrible terrible story. Bad characters, bad ideas, bad execution, thousands of thousands of troupes... But I can't look away.

-5/5 to the tenth power of ten million.

Find out how to use a steam sig like this here!
PS: If you PM and ask how to do it, I will ban you. Srsly.
Antivash is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 04-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #16
merchantofam
Third Year

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I wouldn't say its the one of the worst stories I have read, nor would I say its one of the best. However, for being somewhat original I have to give the points to what would've been an average story.

I have to admit there are some parts of the story that make want to cringe, or at the very least scratch my head and wonder what the hell is going on. Otherwise it's a decent fanfic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portus View Post
Plus I want to see Harry fuck Claris.
Ditto!
merchantofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #17
Innomine
Denarii Host

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via AIM to Innomine Send a message via MSN to Innomine
I gotta say, I tend to look at a story where it says "rapist main character" and just have absolutely no desire to read it. :/

THEY FIGHT MEMORY-EATING MOON VAMPIRES. IN FAIRYLAND. ON THE MOON.

Innomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:29 AM   #18
aaltwal
Minister of Magic

Send a message via Skype™ to aaltwal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellisande View Post
I gotta say, I tend to look at a story where it says "rapist main character" and just have absolutely no desire to read it. :/
Unless it was written by Vash.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:54 AM   #19
Innomine
Denarii Host

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via AIM to Innomine Send a message via MSN to Innomine
Nope, still haven't read Vash's rape fics.

THEY FIGHT MEMORY-EATING MOON VAMPIRES. IN FAIRYLAND. ON THE MOON.

Innomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:49 AM   #20
Rynonis
First Year

And when I saw the world described I thought for sure Firefly! But nay it was not to be. I will just have to content myself with reading Browncoat. At least there is one good one...
Rynonis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author: rahxephon, butt-raped harry!, dark themes, future, harry, original characters, time travel, timetravel