Dark Lord Potter Forums
Go Back   Dark Lord Potter Forums > Common Room > General Discussion
Donate Register Rules Library List IRC Chat FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Donate to DLP Scryer Banner

Old 04-10-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
Lord Ravenclaw
Administrator
System God

DLP Improvement Thread V2: Electric Boogaloo

Hey DLP,

Six years ago, I started a thread called the DLP Improvement Thread. The goal was to source feedback and ideas on how to improve DLP for the next N years.

Since that thread was six years ago, I'll pose the question to DLP at large: What would improve DLP to survive another six years? What would keep you coming back, and what would make your day-to-day life better?
  • Features
  • Quality of life / UX improvements (e.x. better WBA paste-from-doc that keeps italics)
  • New skins
  • Site changes (e.x. reorganization, [sub]forum creation/deletion)
  • Rule changes
  • Events and/or contests

All ideas are to be accepted. Discussion of ideas is permitted, but please do be respectful of those submitting ideas for consideration.

You may mine both the DLP Improvement Thread as well as the currently defunct DLP Uservoice for ideas to recycle.

I have a few weeks of time coming up. During that time I'm available to make changes to both DLP and Scryer, but Scryer is more of a pet project.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:27 PM   #2
T3t
Fourth Year
Purple Beast of DLP

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 3,164
Keeping formatting when pasting from various sources (mostly GDocs for me - not sure if it's an issue elsewhere).

T3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #3
Peter North
Supreme Mugwump

There was a thread for a DLP Podcast at one point and it never seemed to go anywhere. It would be nice to see one.
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad
Peter North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #4
Halt
Professor
1/3 of the Note Bros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3t View Post
Keeping formatting when pasting from various sources (mostly GDocs for me - not sure if it's an issue elsewhere).
I sometimes use WordDoc as well. Not having to edit in italics every time I post in WBA would be great.

Halt's Archive Project: Other Fandom Almost Recommended | RWBY Features | Worm Features
Halt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:06 PM   #5
TheWiseTomato
Heir
Tactical Tomato

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I would love to be able to ignore a full subforum.

Have Australian citizenship, will sham marriage for $$$.

"Come and fight you whoresons! I am Druss and this is Death!"

I'm on Steam.
TheWiseTomato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseTomato View Post
This.

If there was a toggle on/off radio button or something next to each forum/subforum, that would be great.

Also, related, when ignoring a specific thread, if that thread posts, it's not useful to see 'This post is in a forum you are ignoring'. Just have nothing.

Other idea:

Currently, you can't multi-quote while staying in advanced post mode when replying to multiple posts at once. You know how when you're in advanced, there's a reverse-order listing of the posts in the thread? Can we add a quote button to each post, that, if clicked, continued your post by adding the quote in?

That would be awesome.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

And from that turmoil, power. The power to bend the universe to my will.

- Revan, Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Revan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:12 PM   #7
Innomine
High Inquisitor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 4,500
Send a message via AIM to Innomine Send a message via MSN to Innomine
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseTomato View Post
I'm sure I've said this before somewhere, but please god yes. I don't need the Little Italy subforum in my life. Same with Naruto fics.
Innomine is online now   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 04-10-2017, 10:18 PM   #8
Zenzao
Order Member
500 Club King

High Score: 1,864
Something I'd like to see is the option for an author to edit their posts in the Quest subforum the same way that the WBA allows.

I can still edit my quest's opening post, but all subsequent posts have a window that I believe falls around 10ish days before further editing goes away, and there have been times that as I'm working on the next update, I see something in the previous update that I want to revise but the edit period has already expired.

It isn't a big deal as I've just generally made a note and added the revised text to the next update, but it would still be a nice change.

Zenzao is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 04-10-2017, 10:20 PM   #9
Peter North
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innomine View Post
I'm sure I've said this before somewhere, but please god yes. I don't need the Little Italy subforum in my life. Same with Naruto fics.
I've only gone there once and it was to confirm the fact that I had no business in that forum. That said it's not like you'd accidentally click on that that forum unless you go there once in a while.

If there is a thread I actually like I subscribe to it and I get emails. So I don't see a need for ignoring threads unless your subscribed to them and are getting irritated by the alerts.

Edit: I'd love the ability to delete my own posts when I realize I've just done something stupid.
Yer a wizard 'arry. First we'll get yeh wand and then they'll be the sortin' - Good fun, tha'. Then it's off to Liberia to transfigure Ebola-stained bedsheets into treacle tart... Ohh shouldna told yeh that. Should NOT have told yeh that. ~ Vlad
Old 04-10-2017, 10:26 PM   #10
Innomine
High Inquisitor

DLP Supporter Donor Star
High Score: 4,500
Send a message via AIM to Innomine Send a message via MSN to Innomine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter North View Post
I've only gone there once and it was to confirm the fact that I had no business in that forum. That said it's not like you'd accidentally click on that that forum unless you go there once in a while.

If there is a thread I actually like I subscribe to it and I get emails. So I don't see a need for ignoring threads unless your subscribed to them and are getting irritated by the alerts.

Edit: I'd love the ability to delete my own posts when I realize I've just done something stupid.
Ah, see most of us browse the forum by the 'new posts' button which is on the top left. It just shows every new post since your last visit. In fact, my DLP bookmark is set to that page. Makes glancing through to see new stuff very easy.

Problem was, there are a bunch of threads in Little Italy and the Naruto subforums that get huge amounts of posts per day, so they would clutter up the 'new posts' area. Being able to ignore threads has alleviated the worst of the problem, but being able to ignore the sub-forums entirely would be a nice QoL improvement.
Innomine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:29 PM   #11
Darth_Revan
Secret Squirrel

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Quote:
Ah, see most of us browse the forum by the 'new posts' button which is on the top left. It just shows every new post since your last visit. In fact, my DLP bookmark is set to that page. Makes glancing through to see new stuff very easy.

Problem was, there are a bunch of threads in Little Italy and the Naruto subforums that get huge amounts of posts per day, so they would clutter up the 'new posts' area. Being able to ignore threads has alleviated the worst of the problem, but being able to ignore the sub-forums entirely would be a nice QoL improvement.
I make liberal use of the 'Mark Forums Read' button at the bottom when I've read everything I care about.

Peace is a lie, the greatest lie there is. The truth is strife. Struggle. Pain. Suffering.

And from that turmoil, power. The power to bend the universe to my will.

- Revan, Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Revan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:54 PM   #12
Peter North
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:

I see what your saying. I suppose I ought to check this out for a few days, but it does seem less user friendly than the home page.

---------- Post automerged at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

My God!!!! I had no idea how many threads actually go locked on this site @Innomine I think I might just take a look at the new posts link for the lulz.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:22 AM   #13
Quiddity
Auror

Quoting myself

Quote:
Suggestion: Remove the "Old Thread Warning" from The Library. Library threads are supposed to be posted in, and that warning probably scares away some reviewers who are unfamiliar with the site rules.
Also, it would be great if visiting a thread you're quoted or mentioned in removed the notification. The notifications can be useful, but it's a pain removing them.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:05 AM   #14
Erotic Adventures of S
The Chosen One

A small thing, I am color blind, so when the spell check underlines the spelling in red on a green site, I can't really see it. Blue or yellow would be more visible. I'm sure I am not the only color blind person here.

Nothing. It will never come. Death before defeat. You can kill me, destroy my soul, destroy my magic, but you cannot defeat me. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. And you may destroy my magic, but not before I destroy everything of this world that I can…including your magic and soul. There is no defeat.
Erotic Adventures of S is offline   Reply With Quote
Thumbs Up 1 Thumb Up
Old 04-11-2017, 03:19 AM   #15
Thaumologist
Minister for Magic

I used to subscribe to threads I was interested in, rather than just check on them through "new posts", probably because I didn't use it. I would also subscribe to threads I posted in. So I'd get a bunch of emails.

Recently I changed my settings to "no emails for subscribed threads", or whatever it is we can have like that. But old threads I was subscribed to before I changed setting still send me emails. So if the change to my settings could be retroactively applied, that'd be nice.

It's only a minor thing though, because it's pretty easy to turn off the email notifications for each thread that comes through like that.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:55 AM   #16
BTT
Auror

I'd like it if the New Posts links would go to the most recent unread post. As it is now, it only lets you go to the first or the last page.
BTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:27 AM   #17
Oz
Migos Enthusiast

DLP Supporter Donor Star
Send a message via MSN to Oz
Bring back Zev.

On a more serious note, distraction-free DLP theme would be cool. April Fools this year was a lot of fun, and as trollish as it was there's a glimmer of treasure in there.

Some sort of minimal theme where the focus is entirely on the content of the posts, so:

[ul]
[li]No sigs[/li]
[li]No avatars[/li]
[li]No info about the poster, bar their username.[/li]
[li]Strip images etc.[/li]
[li]Make the text super readable[/li]
[li]Colourblind safe for my boy EaoS[/li]
[/ul]

If you've used distraction free mode in any text editors you'll get an idea what I mean.

EDIT: If we could make the above list formatting correct that would be neat too. I refuse to look up the vbcode. :U

Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:48 AM   #18
Seratin
Headmaster
Proudmander

DLP Supporter Donor Star
I've brought this up tentatively in irc but I was thinking of a sort of achievement system in wba.

Let's say you publish 50k words in wba, a little userbadge beside or underneath your avatar shows up. Nothing garish or over the top, a simple 20/50/80k symbol with a quill.

The idea is that you're essentially challenging yourself to write to reach those goals rather than contests where you're competing with other members and by all accounts are a bitch to organise.

The argument against it is that people could just spam post shit to reach goals. To that I'd say, if you're constantly posting in wba, you improve. If you don't improve you get torn apart. By the time someone hits any middling goal their writing should have come on leaps and bounds.

The Indigo Road
A Pokemon quest
Seratin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:22 AM   #19
NuitTombee
Supreme Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT View Post
I'd like it if the New Posts links would go to the most recent unread post. As it is now, it only lets you go to the first or the last page.

Those circled down arrows do that. Of course, I'm not opposed to a larger more easily clickable button/link.

Perhaps with something more along the lines of this.

Image used in screenshot: http://imgur.com/a/v3KBb

Last edited by NuitTombee; 04-11-2017 at 07:00 AM.
NuitTombee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #20
ScottPress
Minister for Magic
The Horny Sovereign

High Score: 1,826
@Seratin, that requires a word counter and a way to differentiate between "content" posts and "discussion" posts in WBA.

My own suggestion is @notifications in groups. It'd be very useful to me, heh. Atm I have to post a notification in a thread or send a PM.
it's the only way he'll have any tits
Source ^

Last edited by ScottPress; 04-11-2017 at 09:46 AM.
ScottPress is offline   Reply With Quote