1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Different Path by Smallville Potter - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by ip82, Dec 5, 2005.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: A Different Path
    Author: Smallville Potter
    Rating: M
    Genre: Action/Adventure/General
    Pairings: Harry/Many (NOT harem)
    Summary: Harry was taken away right after Dumbledore placed him on the doorstep. Harry spent 15 yrs traveling the world and learning magic. He now returns to Hogwarts at 16. All 5 books wrapped into one. Full summary inside.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2427372/1/

Extremely good AU story, where Harry was raised by Sirius, Remus and OC seer, who saw his future with the Dursleys and decided to save him.

Harry in this story is like young Dumbledore - expert at transfiguration & mind magic and generally laid back chick magnet. His decision to mix all the JKR's plots in one book was great, since Harry as powerful as this would solve any of the canon plots in a matter of weeks (which is a great downside in all the other AU stories).

This story has almost no flaws at all, except for somewhat corny characterisation of Hermione and Neville (who become Harry's best friends and turn from outcasts into party animals in a week). Oh and update rate could be better.

Other than that, I highly recomend this amusing and well thought-out story.

NOTE:At the moment, the last chapter posted on FF.net is back from the beggining of June '05. However, there is a new chapter available on the author's yahoo group. I don't know when the FF.net version will be updated.

EDIT: New chapter (6) is up at FFN.

2. Beonid

Beonid Seventh Year DLP Supporter

That's good?

I'm even more surprised that this is in the library with the rating 5/5. The writing's poor, and the story itself is one of the worst Super!Harry fics that I've seen recommended here. Even taking the age of it into account, it's still terrible.

Read it. It's absolute shit.

1/5.

3. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Got to about there in the first chapter and thought "fuck this".

2/5

4. Portus

Portus Heir

WTF? You necro'd a post 3-1/2 years old, about an obviously-abandoned story that was last updated over two years ago? Really?

I believe the 1/5 should apply to you, idiot.

5. Beonid

Beonid Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Normally I'd have the same response as you. I don't like the necro , but this thread had one rating (5/5), which I felt was undeserved.

6. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Yes.

Seriously. There are still people on this forum who aren't aware of the "necroposting rules don't apply in Library threads" rule*?

How do you do it?!

*Okay, I'll say the mandatory addendum 'well-of-course-it's-better-if-the-review-adds-something-to-the-discussion' because I just know that if I don't, someone will protest. Fine. It's better of the review adds something to the discussion. In this thread, Beonid's review is the discussion. Case closed.

7. Portus

Portus Heir

Well, don't I feel sheepish.

A thousand pardons, Beonid; necro away.

I can't claim to add to the discussion about the story itself, since I try not to start reading a story that is unfinished and very likely to stay that way. However, since the discussion is now about Beonid's review comments, let me add that a story that truly had a Harry who's "like a young Dumbledore" would be great to read. Too bad that this story, from the comments posted here, is anything but great, if comments like "laidback chick magnet" and Hermione and Neville as "party animals" are any indication.

8. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Oh, aren't we cute when we sound vexed.

Fine, a small detailed explanation for those who have difficulty reading my footnote. A discussion implies that someone discusses an idea. The original idea was given by ip82, and Beonid was the first to discuss it, therefore so far the discussion is Beonid's post and vice-versa (well, Kang's too -- credit's given when due -- but I skipped it for the sake of demonstration). Note the difference between what I just said and "the discussion is about Beonid's review."

Now, you see what you and I are having here -- this is not a discussion. It's called a dialogue of the deaf; incidentally, it's also a thread-derailment. And it's ending now. By 'now' I mean 'with this post'.

So if anyone has any other complaint/comment about the way I handled that mini-modding fit, they may send me a PM.

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  9. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

That's just contemptible. The writer tries to avert the Mary Sue with one sentence, but what immediately follows it with this:

Beonid has it right. 1/5

10. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

The basic idea of making all books take place at the same time is excellent, and this story was one of my favourites at one point in time.

It is, however, a very blatant Super!Harry fic, to much more extent than I first thought, and the Seer is nothing more than a plot device. Similarities with Dumbledore are always good, but beating Unforgivables with Occlumency is a bit much. If you don't mind those kind of stories, and can suspend disbelief, take a look.

3/5

11. Lord Eressar

Lord Eressar First Year

I would like to point out the date when this was posted and remind everybody that while this story would never score a 5/5 now, I can see why it did then. Besides, I always find entertaining reading things like this and find out how my tastes (and therefore myself) have changed over time.