1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Hawk's Plight by The Obsidian Pen -T- Naruto/RWBY Crossover

Discussion in 'Other Fandoms Review Board' started by soczab, Jun 25, 2020.

1. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Title: A Hawk's Plight
    Author: The Obsidian Pen
    Rating: T
    Fandom: non - it’s its own fandom I suppose.
    Genre: Naruto/RWBY Crossover
    Library Category: Crossover
    Pairings: None as yet.
    Summary:
    The Fourth War was over, peace has finally been achieved. Sasuke, unwilling to let this peace be at risk, continues to train his new-found powers to make sure this peace will last. When he practices with a Rinne-Sharingan Jutsu for the first time, however, things don't go as planned and is sent somewhere unreachable. Regardless, he will do anything it takes to come home again.

Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11554335/1/A-Hawk-s-Plight

I didn't see this here and figured I would post it to see what others thought. I'm kind of on the fence on whether it would be library worthy or almost recommend and would like some second opinions. The first chapter or so is a little rough, but over all I thought it one of the better naruto crossovers ive come across. Ive read it twice now, which is probably a good sign. Its not like the greatest of all time, but I do think its a very solid story. What really nails it imo is Sasuke. His characterization is spot on and really what the story is about. I could very much see the sasuke at the end of the great war going through some of the similar struggles this one does.

Sasuke probably is technically depowered a bit here (just because he isn't a literal god who could level countries) but they dont weaken him a *ton*. He is still almost always the strongest character in a scene, but the author finds ways to still handicap him. Its believable that this is the sasuke from the manga/show and the author has a good grasp of how ninjas and their techniques work.

A few other bits i had to roll my eyes at slightly. Usually because the rwby characters were being a bit too stupid. I will say I thought ozpin was rather well done though, and he is usually hard to do right (and balances out Neapolitan who was done in cringe worthy fashion). And while Sasuke is clearly shown as stronger then just about anyone in RWBY (except maybe Salem) he still can struggle in *group* conflicts against multiple foes (of the right sort) and a lot of the challenges he faces are emotional ones.

No romance which is a plus in a fic like this.

So. Yeah. Tell me what you all think. For me its a 3.5/5 rounded up to a 4.

2. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Heh so no one has read this I’m guessing?

3. Inayeth Ali

Inayeth Ali Second Year DLP Supporter

It’s been a while since I’ve read it.

From what I remember, it has a post-war Sasuke traveling to the initiation exam at Beacon.

The story is certainly good, but I kinda don’t like how Sasuke goes about the entire “collecting dust” business. I mean, this is post-war Sasuke. While he’d still be lacking in morals, I don’t see him betraying his temporary friends as spectacularly as he does. His aims are selfish and the cost for going back is high and all but I imagine he would have learned something by now. I just can’t see the story progressing in the manner it did. They can’t seriously want him back at beacon with a temporary squad built from members of team Taka. He’s a dangerous SOB. They shouldn’t want him anywhere near kids. Especially after he’s shown how hard he is to control and the kind of damage he can do when he gets down to it.

And while I agree that they’ve underpowered him somewhat, but sheer scope of abilities available to a ninja in contrast to a huntsman, he is so fucking overpowered that it’s not even funny.

Apart from that, it’s well written and action packed. I’d give it a 3.5/5 rounded down to 3/5. I’m kinda iffy on whether I should actually vote or not because I’m pretty sure I read it around Christmas in 2019 so I might have forgotten a lot of it or might simply be misremembering a couple of things.

Just gonna leave the comment here though in case it helps anybody else vote.

4. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Hah thanks for commenting!! I was kind of bummed no one ever even gave any feedback on it. So loved your review. Mmm. I can definitely see where your coming from with the dust bit. Though I took the opposite view tbh (not that it makes yours less valid). Namely, I liked that it showed Sasuke's reform being entirely about his connected people in the Leaf. Like, I could definitely see an immediate post-war Sasuke making this error. Namely that he is 'reformed' in that he recognized his connection to Naruto and the village say. So being sasuke he goes to the extreme of "anything at all to get back to them." And so ends up doing some things Naruto wouldn't approve of for the 'cause' of helping naruto. Sort of similar in some deeper ways to what he did with Itachi. And part of the 'journey' is kinda having that next stage growth with him.

Or I could be giving the author too much credit lmao. Either way really appreciate you dropping a review.

5. Inayeth Ali

Inayeth Ali Second Year DLP Supporter

Yeah. I can see where you’re coming from. I think my review is kind of biased tbh because I recently read ‘Myrmidon’ by Ser Serendipity. The Sasuke over there basically tries to do what Naruto would do, so I am probably kind of pulling my bias from there.

My main problem is that Sasuke has a lot of problems with the ‘darkness’ in the shinobi world and how the leaders are basically only working for their own profit to the detriment of others. Him going on to do the same thing to the people of Remnant? Something he swore to stamp out from the Elemental Nations through a ‘revolution’ before Naruto basically bitchslapped him off that path? It kind of doesn’t sit well with me.

I know that the scale is a lot more different. He’s just getting dust in exchange for harming a company and some of the people, but he knows they’re bad people. He knows them getting more power is a bad thing. Sasuke as he is, kind of wouldn’t be able to stomach helping the weakass Torchwick ordering him about. I can see him taking over the organization through force and bending it to his whims. I can’t see him following orders like a good little soldier... Even if he does flip them off after a point.

Still though, if Sasuke’s dickery was toned down halfway, I would probably be okay with it. Like if he did quit a lot earlier than he did, instead of at the point he did. I don’t see how that could actually be worked out with the storyline itself but that’s the author’s headache, really.

It really is a great story if you can overlook that aspect of it. I’ve skimmed over it a little bit over the past two days so I can rate it. And I was really struggling with whether I should rate it at 3/5 or 4/5. Even if my assessment that it’s a 3.5/5 at the most was spot on.

But, even though Sasuke is too OP. And it’s got quite a few things I disagree with, it’s still the best Naruto/RWBY cross I’ve ever read. The only crossover between the two fandoms that is more than readable. It’s actually enjoyable when I ignore a few nitpicks. It’s got action, drama and a morally grey Sasuke, and all of this has to count for something.

So 3.5/5 rounded up to 4/5.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Can we get another review on this before it moves out of For Review?

7. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    yeah im kind of bummed tbh. one thing if people disagree with me and dont like it, but no one even commenting is just a little sad. Especially since imo its a great crossover

8. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I remember reading this before - It is probably one of the best Naruto/RWBY crossovers I've come across, (not that that's saying too much, tbf).

My opinion pretty closely aligns with Inayeth's. It does feel a little frustrating Sasuke is repeating some of the same mistakes he made in canon- however that's pretty much his MO so it doesn't feel too out of place.

The writing has some issues but is overall decent, the crossover is a good idea, etc. I haven't re-read it recently, but I'd also go with 3.5/5, rounded up.

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'd read it except I can't seem to get into RWBY for some reason. I need to sit down and just watch it sometime for at least a few eps.

10. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    definitely fair! Id say for this you want to be familiar with at least the premise of rwby but I dont think you have to have watched the show. But I could see you being a little confused if you went into it only knowing like "RWBY? thats some animated show right?"