1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Life Alone by LoonyLivesOn - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by ip82, Sep 15, 2006.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: A Life Alone
    Author: LoonyLivesOn
    Genre: Action/Adventure/General
    Rating: T
    Pairings: None
    Suggested category: "Alternates"
    Summary: Harry learns of the prophecy from Petunia at the age of eight and escapes to the streets when the house is attacked. Trying to hide his true identity, can he live on his own? Full summary inside. Alternate Universe, Independant!Harry
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2661709/1/

This is an AU story, where Harry spends several years on the streets, before getting picked up by wizards, who 'force' him to Hogwarts. There are a bunch of really strange twists and turns here (from Harry going to Hogwarts under disguise to him getting training from Voldemort's spirit), so it can't be said it's your standard street-rat!Harry story.

Unfortunately, this story is held down by some really annoying elements, especially Harry's general stupidity (of non-whiny type) and bunch of blatant plot-holes of all kinds.

Also, this story has been through lots of shit lately - first hiatus, then removed by author for rewrite and then the author lost all her files and declared the story abandoned. Fortunately, I stumbled upon her profile and sent her the old chapters I dug up from somewhere on my HD. So now, the author is back in full swing, posting new chapters every few days...

...which is one of the main reasons why I follow this story. All the other elements are rather average. 3/5

2. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Geez IP, you sure know how to suggest a story and then make me not want to read it. Considering the author seems to be so disorganized and unconcerned about her work, and your assessment of the story is that in its bright points the fic is "rather average," I'm kinda curious why you even put it up for review?

Feels like you tolerate the fic, but don't really like it. I'll trust you in that it's rather average, and see if the author manages to finish this before checking it out.

Unless someone else out there has read this and highly recommends it?

3. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Heh, nothing wrong with reading average fics or watching average movies. Hell, majority of everything falls into this category. Would you miss movies like "16 blocks" or "King Kong" or for example "Terminator 3", just because they are average blockbusters? There's some pleasure in watching them too.

As for this story, it's not bad. But thanks to some stupid elements, it's not excellent either. Thus it's average - OK to read, but won't blow you off your feet.

4. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

The difference between the two is that an average fic may not make it out of 'For Review' :)

5. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

This is a 3 story.

Edit. This story gets a 1.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  6. KeshinNoAkui

KeshinNoAkui Seventh Year

I got to like chapter 8 a few days ago, and I found it very average, with some stupid parts.

Such as Petunia in chapter 1. As much as I enjoy a different personality of Petunia, how she knows Dumbledore is manipulative, and that Peter was chosen as the Keeper at the last possible moment, is beyond me.

Very average, though it is rather riddled with cliches and the occasional plothole.

2/5 from me.

7. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

The one redeeming thing about this fic is that Harry has dear old Tom in his head. Or at least a full-blown telepathic link with him. And the way he acts towards the other students is funny. I dub this 3/5.

8. Xenon

Xenon Professor

The first chapters I thought were rather painfull to read(streetwise!Harry grates me the wrong way most of the time, and his aunt was...), but if you can last it out till hogwarts its not that bad of a fic. For now, I would have to agree with the rest of the thread and say 3/5

9. Renzhoulawyers

Renzhoulawyers Sent Back to India

A Life Alone, by Snuffdragon - T - Complete

Title: A Life Alone
    Author: Snuffdragon
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/General
    DLP Category: The Alternates
    Pairing: None
    Summary: Harry learns of the prophecy from Petunia at the age of eight and escapes to the streets when the house is attacked. Trying to hide his true identity, can he live on his own? Full summary inside. Alternate Universe, Independant!Harry
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2661709/1/A_Life_Alone

Did a search of the site and nothing. Enjoy~

10. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

I am pretty sure this has been posted here for review. Will look again.

I vaguely recall this wasn't half bad.

Edit: Well can't find it but I know I was linked to this story from DLP. Maybe it was in IRC. I'll re-read a bit and rate. I recall Petunia is very OC in this but the rest is decent.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  11. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

There's one that failed to make the Recycle Bin or the Library called:

A Life Alone by LoonyLivesOn

Different pen name but it might've changed given the length of time this story's been out.

Edit: Just checked. In the first chapter he utilizes "Loony" under the Chapter Title. So yeah, same story.

12. Renzhoulawyers

Renzhoulawyers Sent Back to India

How do you find the stories that fail both bin and library?

13. Veri

Veri Denarii Host

I read this story a while back, and if I remember correctly, it didn't hold my interest. Can't really remember why. Gonna re-read now for proper rating.

14. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You find them here: http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=2803
    It's a list of stories suggested but not worth the library.

I followed the story for a while but only skimmed through most chapters. It was ok at first, though not brilliant. The story covers the first three years in detail, and the last chapter covers the triwizard tournament and the showdown. The author apparently lost his interest in writing and provided a condensed end.

Some parts deserve a 3/5, others 2/5, together 2.5/5 and below library standards.

Some content spoilers:

Harry has a voice in his head named 'Sir' who is bossing him around. Sir insists Dumbledore is bad, and Harry believes him. He is forced to attend Hogwarts, but escapes every year, though returns on his own September 1.

Harry is rather a tool than acting himself. In the end he helps recreate both Voldemort's and Sir's bodies and learns, Sir is in fact 'Lord' Grindelwald. During the showdown he kills all three, Voldemort, Grindelwald, Dumbledore, and then leaves the scene, finally free of all who tried to manipulate him.