1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned A matter of perception by Kung_lou - K+

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Kung_lou, May 19, 2006.

1. Kung_lou

Kung_lou Sixth Year

Okay,

I'm going to address this because I thought that I was implicit enough in the fic.

Part of the Nanites programming is to enhance, correct any problems and to optimise anything that isn't covered in the first two. Maturity comes with three things, development of the brain, balancing of hormones in the body and life experiences. The Nanites addresses the first two as part of their programming and well it could be argued that through the life he has led so far the third has been addressed too.

I agree with you basic crit but I thought I had dodged that bullet by the above reasoning - if I need to be clearer I can work it into future chapters.

Comments?

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  2. cazten

cazten Slug Club Member

ok i guess we can let it slide sicne hes got the whole nanite thing. But still i dont think 11 years is enough experience to base off of. especially when hes not gunna be able tor emeber half of it.

Life taught him this far that he pobly cant reall trust anyone, and all people are basically enemy until proven otherwise. So his fierce independence is beleivable. Just dont go making him a genius real fast. TO many people ruin stories by making Harry way to smart to fast. Some cool advanced dueling concept doesnt need to be common sense.

3. Coranth

Coranth Guest

Kung_lou...

A few things you might like to think about:

1. When the Nanite AI finally attempts to communicate with Harry will it refer to -itself- as 'I' or 'We'? And, will it address Harry by name, or will it call him 'Host'?

2. What will the Nanite AI think of the 'curse scar' that connects Harry to Voldemort? Would it attempt to heal the scar and/or sever the connection? If the Nanite AI attempted to do this, would it fail, or succeed?

3. Could the Nanite AI provide Harry with protection against Occlumency and Legillmencey (a.k.a the 'unknown data sets' employed by Dumbledore and the mind-raper, Snape)?

I am eagerly awaiting the next chapter of this story!

4. Ryuu Ken

Ryuu Ken Second Year

Good story, didn't get around to reading it yet. Any idea on which house Harry is going to be sorted in?

What bothered me about the last chapter was Hagrid's speech. It is rather hard to write and Hagrid had a large part in the third chapter but I kept on stumbling over his speech, making me re-read several sentences. That's about the only glitch I could find, keep up the good work.

5. Teal_Thanatos

Teal_Thanatos First Year

Sup kung, why didn't you tell me you were working on some more fics :p

6. Olfrik

Olfrik Seventh Year

For the maturity factor: Did any of you have a childhood like the one in this fic? I tell you, if they dont break you by the age of 12, they wont ever. When I was 12 I could manipulate most young adults the way I needed. Yes it didnt always work, but it is achievable with the right mindset. And it is very clear in that fic that they didnt break Harry. There is no in between. There is broken or not. I really like the characterization and the thought processes. And he clearly still harbours some hope still if he tries to trust the goblins. I remember doing someting similar when I was like 13 or 14, but it didnt work out.

7. parselmaster

parselmaster Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Wow, very nicely done. I just read this and I have to say, this is very good, and refreshing. I have seen several magic and technology mixs but few with nano technology. Harry is very intelligent, a very good plus as children at age ten, at least with my experience, are very good at putting several things to gether, and memory being much better, even matching some people fully grown. In fact in some cases the only reason why some kids will be out smarted by adults is the fact that adults know more and have more experience instead of actual intelligence. And to Anolfrik, I am agreeing with you about Harry.
    Now about the goblins, at least Harry is questioning why the goblins are treating him with respect, It's one of my pet peeves, the cliche way most people have Harry and the goblins act together. As I said This is very well done, The only thing that needs work is Hagrids speech but you did that pretty well, only one or two words off per sentance. If I find anything else interesting I'll try to remember to mention it.

8. Kung_lou

Kung_lou Sixth Year

I'm almost finished the next chapter and I would appreciate if you guys would take careful note that Harry stays in character. I was a little surprised when in Harry potter and a heroes path Harry immeadiatly reached out for others like him when I would have expected him to be extra paranoid and careful. Instead approching them with the attitude - 'They are just like me and if they are just like me then they are more capable of getting at me than most'

9. Kung_lou

Kung_lou Sixth Year

Updated, I would be interested to here what you guys think. It's slowly taking shape and the direction it is taking more obvious.

10. Belgarion213

Belgarion213 Slug Club Member

Wow, thanks for updating this:)

THe chapter was great, and it was very interesting, the Lucius scene was great as well. However one thing bothered me. The part at the start where Harry was having his dream about the nanites attempt to contact him, it seems as if time is confused. I mean that It was like one week since going to the Leaky Cauldren to two weeks till hogwarts and then straight to the point where he is having his last meal there.

Everything else is as great as I have come to expect from you. Keep up the good work

11. Coranth

Coranth Guest

That Chapter was awesome! I like the fact that Harry is basically manipulating and/or "playing with" everyone, and making them see only what he wants them to see (his room, and the two personas). I also laughed my ass off when I read the Nanites P.O.V! They're like 'WFT!? This unknown system (the magical core) allows the host to affect casualty! How the hell is that possible?!' and so they're busting into Quantumn Physics to find a scientific explanation for how his core works! Absolutely fantastic! It seems that the Nanite A.I. might (possibly) end up talking to Harry via the dreams he's been having... I can't wait to read more!

12. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Great chapter, truly brilliant.

I just love your Harry, he's exactly the kind of character I like to see - focused on his studies and future, instead of getting tangled up in some stupid prank war and fraternizing with the Weasleys because he's drawn to the illusion of a perfect family the poor orphan boy never had...

The best thing so far is your description of magic. This is probably the first time ANYONE has ever tried to explain magic using physics (chaos theory, alternate realities, whatever). Kudos for that.

The only downside remains the same - slow development of the plot. Since this is just Harry's 1st year, you need to hurry things up a bit if you ever wanna reach the end of this.

13. RagefulLlama

RagefulLlama Seventh Year

Hmm. Haven't posted in a while and this is by far the most deserving thread that I have read in a while. I love the nanites, your descriptions of them remind me of the replicators from stargate with their constant 'creating more sensory drones to collect more information and what not.' There is nothing really that I can think of for you to improve on except I think that it is unlikely that Dumbledore, especially the way you have portrayed him wouldn't have come down to see Harry himself. Or at least send a proxy in an effort to read his personality a little (from their perspective ie only seeing his 'happy' persona.) If you just didnt write it in and going to have a flashback or something feel free to slap me.

I'm very interested in how your going to have the nanites react with mind attacks when snape or Dumbledore try to poke around read 'attack! protect the host!!!' heh :p.

______

Just finsished a test worth 50% of my overall mark on around 4-5 hours sleep hopefully I have got what I'm trying to say across properly, please forgive any spelling/grammer mistakes.

14. Kung_lou

Kung_lou Sixth Year

Plotwise, it is a valid comment - but I cannot see how I can speed it up. At least untill he gets sorted, It really is still in setup stage until the nanites become a fully blown, symbionic AI.

Yes, I plan to cover dumbldores reaction in the next chapter - it has been the case of when I realese chapters vs what I include in them. Still I don't want to give too much away.

As for the first scene, I was trying to convey that the current dream he was having was the night before he was to leave for Hogwarts but the first dream was a week into his stay.

I will have to see what I can change to make that clearer.

Thanks for the feedback, your comments and suggestions help with the idea's that I've been bouncing around.

15. Sanctimonius

Sanctimonius Guest

very nice story... be cool to see were you take it

16. Kung_lou

Kung_lou Sixth Year

Thanks sanctimonius, The next chapter is just about done. Look out for "The birth of 001-CSE"

17. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Kung, what of the ambient magic around Hogwarts? It disables all electronics, and nanobots are by definition electronic. Will they be shielded from the EMP effect of the magic by Harry's core? Secondly, will the colorful orb Harry accidently crushed ever be explained? Theoretically, those orbs could be the spells he's capable of, seeing as how spells are generally represented as glowing balls of light when cast. Perhaps he destroyed his ability to cast the killing curse?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  18. Belgarion213

Belgarion213 Slug Club Member

That would imply that wizards already know the spells instintivly.

Personally I would think that the Nano-machines could survive hogwarts because they are part of Harry's Magical core now. and the core itself is probably much more intensly magical than just ambient magic.

19. Kung_lou

Kung_lou Sixth Year

Balgarion nailed the issue on the head - the nanites are more than just the individual units they started as and more an integrated system that has been intergrated into his magical core. As such the ambiant magic will not effect them.

As for the colourful orbs, at that stage the nanites were unable to completely access/communicate with harry's higher order brain function - his consciousness. So the globes where just metaphorical representations from his subconsciousness, an attempt to represent the attempted comunication attempts.

The next chapter has been sent to my prereader and will finish setting things up nicely. A couple of loose strings will be tied up and Harry will be sorted.

YAY

20. Coranth

Coranth Guest

Hmm... I just have this funny feeling that the Nanite AI probably wouldn't like the old sorting hat poking around in Harry's mind.

Hat: Mmm, there's a lot of darkness here. Slytherin would be the place for you, yes... and what's this?!

Nanites: You will leave our host's mind at once, or your existance will be terminated.

Hat: But I need to--

Nanites: You have approximately five seconds to depart our host's mind, before I send my drones to terminate your magical consciousness.

Hat: But--

Nanites: Five, four, three, two, one... beginning termination procedure.

Hat: Urrkk...... [silence]

LOL