1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete A Mother's Love by lord of the land of fire - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Ash'Ura, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

Title: A Mother's Love
    Author: lord of the land of fire
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drame/Romance
    Library Category: Naruto
    Pairings: Naruto/Hinata
    Summary: Uzumaki Kushina survived her son's birth and the Kyuubi's attack. Now she must do everything in her power to protect him and help him reach his dream, to be Hokage.
    Link: A Mother's Love

I was hesitant to read this fic at first since it's a Drama/Romance story and I assumed that the romance would drive the story rather than an actual plot, but I gave it a try and I'm glad I did. The events up to Naruto's return from the Jiraya's 3 year training tip is slightly AU in that general events are the same, though they play out differently, but after that the fic takes off in it's own direction. With that said I give this fic a 5/5.

Edit: Sorry about the mistake on the Library category. I was lazy and pasted the example in the rules thread, and ended up forgetting about it.
    It's hardly a 'tell not show style' story if it the authors tells what happened in the years between the prologue and chapter 2. This stops pretty much after the first paragraph of the second chapter.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

This is not Harry Potter FF. Moved.

Also, prefix added.

3. bombdiggity92

bombdiggity92 Temporarily Banhammered

Definitely doesn't deserve a rating of 5/5. In the second chapter he's five years of age with 47 attempts on his life, not one is described in detail. That alone takes away from the story, it's more of a tell not show style truely detracts from the story. I haven't read enough to rate and I probably won't.

4. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I hope to never again read a story that spends more than two paragraphs with the main character as a toddler past the prologue.

It's not intriguing at all.

Hell, at this point I'm not fond of reading about 11 and 12 year olds, either. But I can handle it in cases of time travel because the narrative is mature, at least when done well. As opposed to childish.

I tried reading this a couple weeks ago. And over-done village-hatred of Naruto + Super Vicious/Overbearing Kushina + Meh Writing + Terrible "Romantic" Foreshadowing + Weakwilled Sandaime + Aforementioned Protagonist Age = 2/5. It would be a 1/5, but the writing is technically acceptable.

Trash Bin material.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  5. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

The Age: That pretty much disqualifies 99% of Naruto and HP fics, so why base the ratings off of that?

Village Hatred: For a Naruto fic, the level of hatred in the village isn't that bad. There aren't any over the top riots or even beatings.

Overbearing Kushina: Easily justifiable seeing as he's the last of her family and the constant assassination attempts by people that hate the Kyubbi or Minato.

Meh Writing: Not bad at all considering the state of Naruto fanfiction.

Terrible Romance: I'll give you that one. Romance has never been my favorite and this fic's romance isn't even decent.

Sandiame: Within the suspension of disbleif.

Nothing you've stated justifies a 2/5 or 1/5.

6. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Somebody once said, and after reading a number of Lord's stories I more or less agree, that reading a Lord of the Land of Fire story is like sitting on a raft in the middle of the ocean. The weather is nice, the sky blue, and ocean calm.

You're bored as fuck.

7. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

I've read plenty of Lord of the Land of Fire's stories. And they all seem the same, it's the same characterization, same pairing, same drama, almost always. So his work is fine enough to waste a few hours if you have nothing to do and a hankering for Naruto fanfiction, but otherwise it gets real boring real fast.

2/5 - 2.5/5

8. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Village Hatred:

This is so far beyond acceptable suspension of disbelief that I want to rate the whole thing a -2/5 based on this alone. But reason prevails.

-1 Point.

Overbearing Kushina:

No, not easily justifiable. Because the overdone village hatred is dumb as well. Dumb things for dumb reasons. This was -0.5 points.

The Age:

Er, no it doesn't. I said 'as a toddler'. -1 Point.

Meh Writing:

Like I said, it's 'meh'. Not good, but not terrible. -0.5 points.

Sandaime: No, not easily within suspension of disbelief. The Sandaime is awesome. Not a weak willed old man you can walk all over just because he's nice most of the time. -1 point.

Terrible Romance: -1 Point.

Semi-interesting premise: +1 point.

Technically Acceptable Writing: +1 point.

2/5.

Also: Hiashi's wife's name is HANNAH. Probably just because he wanted to keep to the H-Name theme of the Hyuuga Main Branch, but couldn't spend 30-45 seconds looking up a Japanese/Asiatic female name that starts with H. I had forgotten that. -0.5 points.

1.5/5

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  9. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

Just to point it out: Hannah (English) --> Hana (Japanese). Didn't even put that much effort into it.

Yeah, I tend to stay away from LotLoF if I can. Like has been said, his stories all almost all the same.

Which is a shame, because that cuts out a quarter of the Rosario + Vampire stories.

10. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Never got past the second chapter of this. Reasons were all mentioned in this thread. Just a bad and very clichéd story. 1/5

11. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Must be pretty bad in the fandom for someone to rec this old, tired crap.

12. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

When you want fluff with a smidgen of plot mixed in, you read his stuff. Someone already said it though, his stuff is pretty predictable and is just different characters with the same poorly done romance thrown in.

13. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Pretty much what everyone else said. Great for getting by when you're really bored, but not something that you would actively pursue for good reading.