1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Albus and Harry's World Trip by ZebJeb - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by RandyRanderson, May 24, 2020.

1. RandyRanderson

RandyRanderson Fourth Year

Title: Albus and Harry's World Trip
    Author: ZebJeb
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Humor
    Library Category:
    Pairings:
    Summary: After defeating the basilisk, Harry is expelled for his efforts. Dumbledore was unable to get his job back as Headmaster. The two set off on a trip together around the world, where Harry will discover the benefits of being the only student of a brilliant former Headmaster who no longer feels the need to avoid sharing information.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13388022/1/Albus-and-Harrys-World-Trip

This has been recommended on reddit pretty frequently. I couldn't find a thread on it here in DLP so I figured I'd create one in almost recommended.

The premise itself is decent. I was actually hopeful when I started reading because I do enjoy the stories where Dumbledore mentors Harry. The broad strokes of the plot aren't bad either. The writing is mechanically correct for the most part.

That said, there are a lot of issues with this story. A lot of these issues stem from being a humor story which would be okay if the story was actually funny. It might just be me, but nothing in this story made me actually laugh beyond a small smile. The humor is constantly forced.

The story is also clearly written to resolve what the author considers to be plot holes in the books. Disrespect of the books aside, the dialogue and story feels forced when "Albus" starts a long-winded explanation about why Molly Weasley was talking about muggles at the train station. These explanations appear randomly throughout the fic. The author also spells everything out during these "explanations", seemingly unable to trust his reader. The writing style is bland. Dumbledore's dialogue is a poor attempt to replicate his ambiguity in canon.

The magic system is horrible. It's all clearly oriented to giving Harry a reason for being powerful. It's one of those "only intent matters" magical systems. It's also combined with a mindscape to create an abomination of a hybrid system. For example, Harry presses buttons in his mindscape to end levitation spells. Harry also devises a unique form of transportation called "Hyper Jumps" because the author insists on shoehorning in Star Wars references. Wandless magic is rampant. All of the changes to magic are combined to ensure that Harry can defeat Sirius and Remus after a month or two. The author tosses in some nominal difficulties to the unique magic only Harry and Dumbledore can use but those difficulties never come into play.

Characterization isn't good either. Dumbledore doesn't feel like Dumbledore and the changes to his character are not for the better. Interesting enough, the story is also a Weasley and Hermione bashing story (except the twins of course). Sirius is the typical fanon Sirius Black with all the associated poor jokes and inability to be serious, a change for the worse from canon.

2/5 for me but it is highly recommended.

2. ROTH963

ROTH963 First Year

I found it hard to get past the first chapter, and I am not sure I will continue, tried to search for a thread of it here to see if it get's better, apparently it doesn't, I agree with the 2/5 assessment.
    Do you have any recommendations?

3. James

James Unspeakable

This is one of my favorite current stories. Yes, there might be a cliche or two, and I don't care for the visual occlumency, but despite all, I love the Albus / Harry relationship. Randy might say that Dumbledore doesn't feel like Dumbledore, but in my opinion, is close enough, and one of the best voices in these parts of fandom. The prose is a bit utilitarian, but as far as personal preferences go, I count that as a positive.

For me, it's 4/5, I happiliy favorited this story and avait updates.

4. Knightwing

Knightwing First Year

Oh joy, my first review!
    While I enjoyed the premise, I felt that the unnecessary explanations (e.x. the Molly Weasley one) bogged it down. Despite this, the characterization of Dumbledore was refreshing, mainly the "Grandpa Albus" that we actually got to see some background for. Anyways, this was a nice, light-hearted read that I would recommend to people who enjoy Star Wars, the concept of a human Dumbledore, and an intent based magical system. Honestly this was a 3 for me, until the Christmas scene, which really tugs at your heartstrings. I hope to see an update soon, as the writer seems to be getting the hang of it now.

4/5